Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    Grimaldi is gonna make a push to get on that top line, he's got some serious talent. I love the way that kid plays!
    I agree on the talent point but even the mighty Grimaldi is going to have a little learning curve while he gets used to the speed of D1... BC was a good first impression of what speed at this level looks like.

Comment

• Originally posted by willythekid View Post
      I agree on the talent point but even the mighty Grimaldi is going to have a little learning curve while he gets used to the speed of D1... BC was a good first impression of what speed at this level looks like.
      Against BC it seemed that he created tons of scoring chances though. I agree he won't step in and be an All American, but that kid, if he stays healthy, will have a big impact on the success of this team.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
        Though most people up here weren't too impressed with Grimaldi (many being my ignorant Sioux fan friends), I saw the flashes of what Grimaldi can do and was amazed. Getting the puck into the offensive zone, most players kind of just seemed to dump and chase, Grimaldi seemingly had glue on his stick and brought it in and set up chances. Get him 100% and a little more playing time and I think it will be scary (in a good way).

Comment

• Originally posted by PhatKroger10 View Post
          Though most people up here weren't too impressed with Grimaldi (many being my ignorant Sioux fan friends), I saw the flashes of what Grimaldi can do and was amazed. Getting the puck into the offensive zone, most players kind of just seemed to dump and chase, Grimaldi seemingly had glue on his stick and brought it in and set up chances. Get him 100% and a little more playing time and I think it will be scary (in a good way).
          I think this is a more elaborate view of what I see out of this kid. I think he's gonna be a star, and not just because he plays for UND.
          AF 99

Comment

I think this is a more elaborate view of what I see out of this kid. I think he's gonna be a star, and not just because he plays for UND.
            I'm not sure he's going to be the dynamic sniper most Sioux fans are really wanting to see (mainly because I didn't really see him shoot much against BC) to replace Frattin, but I could imagine him putting up 40 points with like 30 assists.

Call me an ignorant Sioux fan, but I'm kind of optimistic for the season. Other than some obvious streaky struggles, the Sioux found ways to stay in it. They came back to beat AF and they had the lead against a very impressive BC team.

Comment

In all seriousness, our defense was supposed to be a strong point early on in the season so our offense could get some experience but it was that defense that I was most disappointed in this last weekend. I do not believe the Sioux will have many problems at goal with Dell and Eids but of course that depends on getting the defense sorted out. The team is young and it will take a while to get things going offensively the way Hak wants them to but the first line of Knight, Kristo and Nelson could turn out to be one of the best in D1 hockey (more than likely this line will not stay intact though).

So... lets hear the goods on Maine.
              well there aren't to many "goods" for this maine team. Goaltending is a bit of a question mark with what looks like a 2 man rotation between Martin Ouellette and Dan Sullivan. Ouellette is the better of the two IMO, he'll probably get the start in game one. Offensively the team lost gustav nyquist to the NHL (Detroit)..flynn, abbott, and diamond are offensive threats, which happens to be our first line. After the first line it's a drop off. Defsively were ok..will o'neil is a good physical player. Our coach(Tim Whitehead) has driven this team into the ground over the past 6-7 years....Maine team likes to get into a lot of scrums after the whistle as well. watch for Joey Diamond (#39) to get into it.
              Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                Hoping for two wins, but realistically a split is most likely. Should be a fun weekend though.
                Yeah, I think a split at this point is probably the most likely. It's not like we're playing Sacred Heart here.
                Brutal schedule to start for the Sioux...tough with all the new players replacing all the seniors and early departures.
                I'm just hoping that Maine doesn't steamroll us like last year.
                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I remember all the weak calls from last year. Lets bloody their noses this year with WCHA refs.

Comment

Originally posted by PhatKroger10 View Post
                    I'm not sure he's going to be the dynamic sniper most Sioux fans are really wanting to see (mainly because I didn't really see him shoot much against BC) to replace Frattin, but I could imagine him putting up 40 points with like 30 assists.

Call me an ignorant Sioux fan, but I'm kind of optimistic for the season. Other than some obvious streaky struggles, the Sioux found ways to stay in it. They came back to beat AF and they had the lead against a very impressive BC team.
                    Frattin won't be replaced..period..BUT, the question is...does Brock Nelson come close?
                    AF 99

Comment

Frattin won't be replaced..period..BUT, the question is...does Brock Nelson come close?
                      Hahaha, personally I curse Brock Nelson's name very frequently. The guy seems to skate with his head down and I have an on going joke with my friends every time he has a miscue. But in all seriousness, I don't think he'll be that close unless if somehow he is playing with the exact same line from this year, next year. I think this top line we had (though it killed our entire depth) for the Ice Breaker could definitely produce multiple 45 point scorers. Nevertheless, I'm very, very excited for the year!

Comment

In all seriousness, our defense was supposed to be a strong point early on in the season so our offense could get some experience but it was that defense that I was most disappointed in this last weekend. I do not believe the Sioux will have many problems at goal with Dell and Eids but of course that depends on getting the defense sorted out. The team is young and it will take a while to get things going offensively the way Hak wants them to but the first line of Knight, Kristo and Nelson could turn out to be one of the best in D1 hockey (more than likely this line will not stay intact though).

So... lets hear the goods on Maine.
                        Our defense and goaltending will likely turn out to be our strengths this year. But there is going to be a learning curve there as well. You have to remember that after Mac and Blood we're a little thin experience-wise on the blueline. Gleason, Simpson and Forbort have never been asked to be anything more than a 6th defenseman. Marto, LaPoint and Genoway chewed up a lot of minutes last year, and it's going to take these guys a little time to pull everything together. But I really like the talent back there. I think we have a good combination of size, speed and playmaking ability and they'll be fun to watch later in the season.

BC can, and will, make a lot of defenses look bad. DU has one of the better, more experienced defensive groups in the WCHA this year. I'm looking forward to how they perform against BC.

I'm not losing a lot of sleep over an early season blowout to a very good hockey team, with all the new faces Hak and the staff are integrating into their system.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by PhatKroger10 View Post
                          Exactly.

For his first game at the college level, injured, against one of the best teams in the country I'd say that he performed well. The various reasons that this kid was projected to go in the first round were there, which in and of itself was impressive. I expect that he'll end up on the 2nd line by the end of the season.
                          '59, '63, '80, '82, '87, '97, '00, [BANNER PENDING]

Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

• Originally posted by icelund View Post
                            Exactly.

For his first game at the college level, injured, against one of the best teams in the country I'd say that he performed well. The various reasons that this kid was projected to go in the first round were there, which in and of itself was impressive. I expect that he'll end up on the 2nd line by the end of the season.
                            I should use that phrase.."I told you so.."..but I'll refrain from that for now..
                            AF 99

Comment

FYI, don't know if you guys know this but Friday 2/24/12 game at Denver will be on Versus.
                              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

• Originally posted by du78 View Post
                                FYI, don't know if you guys know this but Friday 2/24/12 game at Denver will be on Versus.
                                Thanks for the info. I wonder when the full Versus college hockey schedule will be released. Hopefully the Sioux can get a few more games on there.

Comment

Working...
                                X