Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    Golden Gophers are a lot more awesome than a Richardson's ground squirrel, also know as a "Dak Rat"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...round_Squirrel

They are Gold, after all.
    A rodent is a rodent Happy. You can not make that cool.
    "My greatest achievement."
    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
      A rodent is a rodent Happy. You can not make that cool.

Come on, you guys are dead last in cool, even South Dakota and it's Corn Palace make you guys look like hicks.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Come on, you guys are dead last in cool, even South Dakota and it's Corn Palace make you guys look like hicks.
        What are you talking about? We are trend setters.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
          What are you talking about? We are trend setters.
          what trends?
          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

what trends?
            If you have to ask...

Comment

Wobegoners and Nodaks in an argument about cool.

Comment

According to twitter Grimaldi is going with "The Dub."
                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                  For those who may not have already seen the update to this, Grimaldi is NOT going to 'The Dub'. It was a play on words. He was actually talking about a Volkswagon car he just purchased.

He tweeted:
                  @RGrimaldi23 Me and The Dub. I'm excited to get it out on the road. Like my hat #TheDub http://t.co/mAAxZ22

Comment

• Originally posted by MissSioux85 View Post
                    For those who may not have already seen the update to this, Grimaldi is NOT going to 'The Dub'. It was a play on words. He was actually talking about a Volkswagon car he just purchased.

He tweeted:
                    Oh I knew that, but did others?
                    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                      Hook. Line. Sinker?
                      I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                        NCAA sanctions could have been avoided if the ND legislature wouldn't have passed the "Bonehead" bill, making a timely and systematic retiring of the nickname virtually impossible for UND. Now the procedure is such that before the ND legislature can officially proceed with proper due process within the House and Senate to repeal the law, NCAA sanctions MUST be imposed first. So UND is screwed...by their own state government. Blame Carlson as the collossal airhead who somehow convinced other airheads in the State House and Senate, not to mention the honorable Governor that this bill would change the NCAA's mind.

What is most unfortunate in this unbelievable legal catastrophe, and what apparently the UND biased cohort of your ND elected officials did not comprehend, is by enacting the "Bonehead" bill, they have now essentially catalyzed an extremely volatile and racially divisive controversy within ND borders at the grassroots level between NA and non-NA. I certainly hope I'm wrong here, but it seems inevitable that racial slurs, discrimination and violence against Native Americans may escalate and turn ugly over the next few months. This will not fair well with both the State of ND and UND's reputation for a season.
                        Just being silly again Harley.

How exactly has the legislature "screwed" UND?

This is going down exactly as I predicted to you in the Notre Dame thread. The NCAA declined to change their mind and the North Dakota officials announced they will repeal the law. That will happen in November and we'll be right back to where we were after the original case was settled.

The "sanctions" you refer to are the inability to use or display the nickname or logo during NCAA tournament events.

So, between now and November exactly what events will those be? And even if we can't display them, we're now "screwed"? You think UND hasn't made plans to have generic "UND" or "North Dakota" athletic wear available for it's athletes?

See, the sanctions in this case have also always been the result: Can't use the name or logo. Now, if the NCAA had said you have to retire the name by August 15 or you face a two year ban on tournament participation, lose scholarships, or similar real "sanctions", then I would agree that the passage of the law and the delay in retiring the name would have harmed the University. But under the current "sanctions" imposed by the NCAA, no harm to us at all.

And your statement about the "inevitability" of "racial slurs, discrimination and violence against Native Americans", "turning ugly over the next few months" shows how terribly ignorant you really are of North Dakota, the opinions or feelings of those in the state, or how they will react to this.

What, you expect a reprise of 1862 Mankato?

There will obviously be alumni and citizens of North Dakota sad and unhappy with the need to drop the nickname. If you think that translates into people going out and and engaging in violence against native americans, wow.

In fact, I suspect most people in the state hold most, if not all, of their anger and frustration over this issue against the NCAA and not native americans, many of whom openly support the nickname or wear the logo.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I'm upset with the NCAA. They've trivialized a soverign nation, namely the Spirit Lake Sioux Nation.

The NCAA sided with the Florida Seminole Nation, the Utah Ute Nation, and a Chippewa nation in Michigan. But they disregarded the desires of the Spirit Lake Sioux Nation. Actually, they disregared Spirit Lake and decided that Standing Rock Sioux Nation is more important than Spirit Lake.

So in the NCAA's eyes, everyone else in this discussion is more important than Spirit Lake. They've disregarded Spirit Lake's soverign opinion in the matter.

If undercutting Spirit Lake's soverign authority and opinion on issues was the NCAA's goal, they've achieved it. This will come back to haunt Spirit Lake at some point down the road. Someone else will use this as precedence to ignore them in the future. Nice work NCAA.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I will once again throw my idea out there that the easiest fix to this situation is to change the nickname to the Fighting Spirit. Keep the logo, you have the permission from the Spirit Lake Tribe. It's a good compromise that the NCAA can't disagree to. Any arguments that "Fighting Spirit" sounds like a little league team name will be kept in the dark when people realize they're making fun of an American Indian tribe. At least this way the logo stays (one of the coolest logos in the NCAA IMHO) and the transition is minor.
                            University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs
                            2007 Alumni
                            WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1984, 1985, 1993
                            WCHA Tournament Champions: 1984, 1985, 2009
                            NCAA Appearances: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1993, 2004, 2009, 2011
                            Frozen Four Appearances: 1984, 1985, 2004, 2011
                            National Champions: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by UMDSimmerdown View Post
                              I will once again throw my idea out there that the easiest fix to this situation is to change the nickname to the Fighting Spirit. Keep the logo, you have the permission from the Spirit Lake Tribe. It's a good compromise that the NCAA can't disagree to. Any arguments that "Fighting Spirit" sounds like a little league team name will be kept in the dark when people realize they're making fun of an American Indian tribe. At least this way the logo stays (one of the coolest logos in the NCAA IMHO) and the transition is minor.
                              Too bad they didn't suggest this to the NCAA before signing an agreement to abandon the Sioux name and imagery.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                And your statement about the "inevitability" of "racial slurs, discrimination and violence against Native Americans", "turning ugly over the next few months" shows how terribly ignorant you really are of North Dakota, the opinions or feelings of those in the state, or how they will react this.
                                Yeah, we all know how classy adult UND fans can be when they lose :

Comment

Working...
                                X