Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Originally posted by Goon View Post
    If they are bringing a suit to federal court they will be expected to give concrete examples of how their right's have been infringed upon and not just anecdotal evidence...

and how is that in line with "I would love to see a judge ask these students, "if UND is such a bad place and your 14 amendment rights are being violated, why do you go to school there?"
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Uhm, they have every right to go to that school and the last time I check they are...how exactly are THEY being discriminated against by the use of the nickname? Please take your time, I want to hear a relevant response.

http://www.aics.org/mascot/civilrights.html

Comment

So since some left wing organization says that Indian Logos are demeaning we have to take their words for it... There are also "MANY" Native Americans that approve of the Fighting Sioux and or Native American logos.
        Last edited by Goon; 08-13-2011, 08:41 PM.
        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
        Eric's Twitter
        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

So since some left wing organization says that Indian Logos are demeaning we have to take their words for it... There are also "MANY" Native Americans that approve of the Fighting Sioux and or Native American logos.
          As long as you don't get a ******* judge, you will do OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
            As long as you don't get a ******* judge, you will do OK.
            I have to give you that one...
            Eric's Twitter

Comment

So since some left wing organization ...
              Yeah .. the 2001 United States Commission on Civil Rights. Under the Bush Administration. Left.Wing.Hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                Yeah .. the 2001 United States Commission on Civil Rights. Under the Bush Administration. Left.Wing.Hilarious.
                '
                I don't give a **** what you say I would be willing to bet if we looked at the members on that commission there would be quite a few left wing liberals...
                Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                  Congratulations! That has to be one of the stupidest posts you've ever conceived (and without a doubt you've had many). "The Sioux already sued the board of education to keep the nickname and they were successful when the state legislature had rescued the board of education from a no win situation lawsuit". Really? When did that happen? Please clue us in on the details.
                  Dear Clueless.

It happened in 2009. Here are the details. http://www.kmot.com/News_Stories.asp?news=35521

ND Officials Discuss Fighting Sioux Lawsuit

| 11/12/2009
                  Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem and North Dakota higher education officials are discussing how to respond to a judge`s order that bars a change in the University of North Dakota`s Fighting Sioux nickname.

Stenehjem said he talked over the issue Thursday with Board of Higher Education president Richie Smith, university system chancellor William Goetz and higher education attorney Pat Seaworth.

Stenehjem would say only that the participants "discussed generally some of the legal positions the state might take."

He said he hopes to confer with the full Board of Higher Education at its Nov. 19 meeting in Minot.

A judge has barred the board from changing the Fighting Sioux nickname until a court hearing on Dec. 9.

The hearing was ordered after a group of Spirit Lake Sioux tribal members filed a lawsuit. They say the board must wait until November 2010 for any decision to get rid of the nickname.
                  Will they now need permission from the tribes before they get rid of the nickname?

Have a feeling the Spirit Lake tribal members may have their day in court again soon. Let the NCAA try to impose sanctions. That way the Spirit Lake Sioux will have their chance to persuade the NCAA that their decision is wrong
                  "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                    and how is that in line with "I would love to see a judge ask these students, "if UND is such a bad place and your 14 amendment rights are being violated, why do you go to school there?"
                    Used to be people would sue if they were not admitted.

So now what! Are they suing simply because they want to get rid of the nickname and they feel discriminated against because of people that actually disagree with them.

If the 6 students are political activists then they should expect some negative reactions.
                    "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

I don't give a **** what you say I would be willing to bet if we looked at the members on that commission there would be quite a few left wing liberals...
                      The US Commission on Civil Rights is a bipartisan 8 member commission consisting of no more than 4 members of any political party. In 2001, the USCCR voted 5-2 to approve the recommendation to end the use of Indian names and mascots at non-Indian schools (with one vote abstained). The 2001 USCCR consisted of 4 Republicans and 4 Democrats.

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                      Dear Clueless. It happened in 2009. Here are the details. http://www.kmot.com/News_Stories.asp?news=35521 "The Sioux already sued the board of education to keep the nickname and they were successful when the state legislature had rescued the board of education from a no win situation lawsuit".
                      No, it was not successful and no, the legislature did not rescue the SBOE. Do you lay awake at night and make this crap up? A ND District judge threw the ridiculous case out in just over a month after filing, primarily because the judge stated the SBOE has the constitutional right to govern the ND institutions under their jurisdiction.

Incidentally, that hasn't changed since the SBOE voted 8-0 in 2001 mandating UND to retain the nickname. This against the wishes of then UND Pres. Kupchella, whom after considerable protest by a number of groups and organizations, believed the nickname should be retired. BTW, the SBOE 8-0 vote came a few days after Ralph Engelstad sent a letter to Kupchella stating that if the nickname was changed, he would halt construction of the hockey arena. So blame Ralphie for being racially insensitive and the SBOE for selling their souls to a Nazi for fame and fortune.

In 2007 the SBOE filed a lawsuit against the NCAA, lost the case and was subsequently required by a contract settlement agreement to retire the name. Then the knuckledraggers in the ND legislature got involved this year, screwed up and made this mess a lot worse by passing the unconstitutional and racially insensitive Fighting Sioux bill. All that essentially did was make the ND legislature now appear callously insensitive to minority issues.

NCAA sanctions could have been avoided if the ND legislature wouldn't have passed the "Bonehead" bill, making a timely and systematic retiring of the nickname virtually impossible for UND. Now the procedure is such that before the ND legislature can officially proceed with proper due process within the House and Senate to repeal the law, NCAA sanctions MUST be imposed first. So UND is screwed...by their own state government. Blame Carlson as the collossal airhead who somehow convinced other airheads in the State House and Senate, not to mention the honorable Governor that this bill would change the NCAA's mind. Now they look amazingly stupid, appearing as though they're surprised while holding their d*ck's in their hands. *****http://i594.***********.com/albums/tt28/harleymc1/smiley-violent076.gif******

What is most unfortunate in this unbelievable legal catastrophe, and what apparently the UND biased cohort of your ND elected officials did not comprehend, is by enacting the "Bonehead" bill, they have now essentially catalyzed an extremely volatile and racially divisive controversy within ND borders at the grassroots level between NA and non-NA. I certainly hope I'm wrong here, but it seems inevitable that racial slurs, discrimination and violence against Native Americans may escalate and turn ugly over the next few months. This will not fair well with both the State of ND and UND's reputation for a season.

Will they now need permission from the tribes before they get rid of the nickname?
                      NO!!! *****http://i594.***********.com/albums/tt28/harleymc1/smiley-whacky115.gif******

Have a feeling the Spirit Lake tribal members may have their day in court again soon. Let the NCAA try to impose sanctions. That way the Spirit Lake Sioux will have their chance to persuade the NCAA that their decision is wrong
                      You have a feeling about a Spirit Lake lawsuit? When are you going to get it? From an inferential stats perspective, the relative frequency probability based upon the NCAA's past history of recanting regarding the matter of retiring Indian mascots and nicknames without namesake tribe approval has a p value = 1. That means they will NEVER, EVER change their mind...period. *****http://i594.***********.com/albums/tt28/harleymc1/smiley-violent083.gif******
                      Last edited by HarleyMC; 08-14-2011, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Flickertails! haha!

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
                          Flickertails! haha!
                          Yup, The NC$$ are making us take that name.
                          "My greatest achievement."
                          Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
                            Flickertails! haha!
                            Are you aware your team's mascot is also a gopher? dumbass.

Comment

Originally posted by 7&7 View Post
                              Just play along with him. He's here to troll.
                              "My greatest achievement."
                              Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by 7&7 View Post
                                Golden Gophers are a lot more awesome than a Richardson's ground squirrel, also know as a "Dak Rat"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...round_Squirrel

They are Gold, after all.

Comment

Working...
                                X