University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Sounds like the North Dakota delegation is there to warn the NCAA.

NCAA hasn't caused any serious harm to the Sioux (native Americans) yet but if sanctions are actually imposed then it opens the door for real legal battles and bad press. It will be the Sioux (native Americans) against the NCAA next time not the University. And the Native Americans have a stronger position to defend the logo and nickname. If the meeting goes badly this will be a good opportunity for Native Americans to defend their civil rights, rights such as freedom of speech. The logo and name are both protected under free speech. Federal judges don't take kindly to people that trample all over our free speech rights.

It could seriously tarnish the image of the NCAA and make them look like some kind of racist hate group. They are already beginning to say things like: the NCAA thinks the only good Indian logo is a dead Indian logo. And the NCAA is trying to wipe out peoples memory of the history of the Sioux by destroying the Sioux name.

The state filed one injunction against imposing sanctions already. Nothing preventing the Sioux from filing injunctions or lawsuits against the NCAA. The Sioux already sued the board of education to keep the nickname and they were successful when the state legislature had rescued the board of education from a no win situation lawsuit.
    Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 08-12-2011, 04:04 PM.
    "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post

NCAA hasn't caused any serious harm to the Sioux (native Americans) yet but if sanctions are actually imposed then it opens the door for real legal battles and bad press. It will be the Sioux (native Americans) against the NCAA next time not the University. And the Native Americans have a stronger position to defend the logo and nickname. If the meeting goes badly this will be a good opportunity for Native Americans to defend their civil rights, rights such as freedom of speech. The logo and name are both protected under free speech. Federal judges don't take kindly to people that trample all over our free speech rights.

It could seriously tarnish the image of the NCAA and make them look like some kind of racist hate group. They are already beginning to say things like: the NCAA thinks the only good Indian logo is a dead Indian logo. And the NCAA is trying to wipe out peoples memory of the history of the Sioux by destroying the Sioux name.

The state filed one injunction against imposing sanctions already. Nothing preventing the Sioux from filing injunctions or lawsuits against the NCAA. The Sioux already sued the board of education to keep the nickname and they were successful when the state legislature had rescued the board of education from a no win situation lawsuit.
      What I just heard on the 5 o'clock news is that the NC$$ didn't budge. The name is on the way out.
      "My greatest achievement."
      Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Other than the fact that UND and North Dakota are not the Sioux, you would have a good argument. otherwise, you sound like an idiot.
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
          I didn't want to bring up the over 10 years since your last championship on the same day you lose your abusive mascot.
          Kind of you--it is hard not to bring home the hardware for that long a time. But imagine what it would be like to go two-and-a-half times that long with zippo. I'll bet it scars fans for life.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            Kind of you--it is hard not to bring home the hardware for that long a time. But imagine what it would be like to go two-and-a-half times that long with zippo. I'll bet it scars fans for life.
            no worse than knowing your racist and abusive t shirts, jerseys and arena are going to be banned.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Congratulations! That has to be one of the stupidest posts you've ever conceived (and without a doubt you've had many). "The Sioux already sued the board of education to keep the nickname and they were successful when the state legislature had rescued the board of education from a no win situation lawsuit". Really? When did that happen? Please clue us in on the details.

That's almost as stupid as this comment in the REPORT following the meeting: "We now know that the consequences of that are greater than realized last winter. This is going to lead to problems with UND joining the Big Sky conference," says Governor Jack Dalrymple. It took a 30 minute face to face meeting at a cost of $6000.00 for he and Carlson to figure that out!? This is mind boggling naivete.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                Congratulations! That has to be one of the stupidest posts you've ever conceived (and without a doubt you've had many). "The Sioux already sued the board of education to keep the nickname and they were successful when the state legislature had rescued the board of education from a no win situation lawsuit". Really? When did that happen? Please clue us in on the details.

That's almost as stupid as this comment in the REPORT following the meeting: "We now know that the consequences of that are greater than realized last winter. This is going to lead to problems with UND joining the Big Sky conference," says Governor Jack Dalrymple. It took a 30 minute face to face meeting at a cost of $6000.00 for he and Carlson to figure that out!? This is mind boggling naivete.
                You Suck!!!!!!! I knew this was no win, but go ahead and gloat. Once it's gone then we even out the win/loss record.

Comment

Classy. If you knew it was a no win (like potentially everyone in and outside of ND) perhaps you should have given your elected officials a call and informed them as early as last January before they passed the "Bonehead" bill to begin with.

Comment

Classy. If you knew it was a no win (like potentially everyone in and outside of ND) perhaps you should have given your elected officials a call and informed them as early as last January before they passed the "Bonehead" bill to begin with.
                    You do know they don't base all bills on what I think. Harley I have no ill will. I knew this was coming years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                      You do know they don't base all bills on what I think. Harley I have no ill will. I knew this was coming years ago.
                      My greatest fear now is the increased potential for violence and discriminatory behavior against Native Americans in ND. Peace!
                      Last edited by HarleyMC; 08-12-2011, 11:11 PM.

Comment

My greatest fear now is the increased potential for violence and discriminatory behavior against Native Americans in ND. Peace!
                        I will agree my friend. It's all unwarranted,but it's going to happen. This coming from a Mexican and i'll feel the backlash.
                        Last edited by darker98; 08-12-2011, 11:27 PM.

Comment

My greatest concern is we won't have experts come into UND threads to bestow their infinite knowledge upon us all from their three months of paying attention to the situation.
                          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                            My greatest concern is we won't have experts come into UND threads to bestow their infinite knowledge upon us all from their three months of paying attention to the situation.
                            It's ok Dirty, I feel your pain. Admittedly, it's a sad time for UND fans and some Gopher fans like myself as well. FWIW, I've been researching this particular issue since the court settlement in 2007.

Comment

Sad day. As a native American friend of mine from the United Tribes College said when this controversy was bestowed upon UND from outside interests: "Now, we'll just be forgotten." Thank you to Ron His Horse Is Thunder and his massive ego! He laughed in the face of democracy by not letting the tribal members vote on it, and he got what he wanted. (BTW, where are the protesters? They should be calling out this injustice.) Now, the focus will be on Ron and the ****ty job he's done.
                              University of North Dakota

National Championships: 8
                              Frozen Fours: 22
                              Conference Titles: 17
                              14 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances

Comment

To add insult to injury, former UND grad and now United Tribes Technical College President David Gipp has joined the fray and supports the lawsuit filed by Native American students against the State.

Comment

Working...
                                X