• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

The 2011-2012 Schedule has officially been released

LINK

Comment

Originally posted by MissSioux85 View Post
      The 2011-2012 Schedule has officially been released

LINK
      Still have two games available. Ah well.

Comment

2011-2012 Fighting Sioux Roster has been released including 10 freshman, I think this will be a rebuilding season unless something ridiculous happens with the sophomore and junior class.

http://www.fightingsiou*****/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=58685&SPID=6405&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500&SORT_ORDER=5&Q_SEASON=2011&PRINTABLE_PAGE=
        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
          2011-2012 Fighting Sioux Roster has been released including 10 freshman, I think this will be a rebuilding season unless something ridiculous happens with the sophomore and junior class.

http://www.fightingsiou*****/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=58685&SPID=6405&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500&SORT_ORDER=5&Q_SEASON=2011&PRINTABLE_PAGE=
          I don't know if I would call it a "rebuilding" season in the sense that the Sioux won't be very good. They will likely struggle early offensively, but their strengths are still going to be defense and goaltending. If they are solid there, UND will be a top-half team, and if the freshmen develop for the second half, I wouldn't be surprised with another strong finish and perhaps a third straight Broadmoor.

Here are my expectations for this team for this season, and I may have said them before elsewhere, so if you've heard them before I apologize...

1. I expect the offense to struggle to start the season, and perhaps throughout most of the season. We lost so much scoring that it will be difficult to replace. The Sioux averaged 4 goals/game last season. I think we'll be lucky to average 3 this year.
          2. I expect our defense and goaltending to be top notch. I think Forbort will have a monster year, and if Dell can continue his play, he should have great stats again. The defense will be what keeps North Dakota in games and give them chances to win. If there are any disappointments here, then it will be a disappointing season.
          3. I expect a lot of 2-1, 3-2 type games, win or lose. Given our defense I don't see UND giving up much more than 2 or 3 a game (if not less). Of course, I don't see us scoring much more than 2 or 3 a game either.
          4. Given that, I expect North Dakota to be hovering around .500 for much of the year. We're fortunate that our only series with CC and Omaha are at home, but the Sioux play @ Wisconsin, @ Minnesota and @ Anchorage (along with a series at Bemidji) in the first half of the season. The second half of the season is a little "easier"...
          5. Which leads to my expectation that North Dakota will have another "surge" in the second half. I think once the scoring gets settled, and the freshmen start to get used to playing college hockey, North Dakota should be a better team. I'm not thinking that they'll go a crazy 13-0-1 in February and March that they did last year (18-3-1 overall in the second half), but I wouldn't be surprised if they go something along the lines of 12-3 or 11-4 to finish the regular season.
          6. I expect the Sioux to finish in the top half. I don't think it will be higher than fourth, or lower than sixth.
          7. I expect the Sioux to make it to the Final Five. Depending on matchups and how they are playing, a third straight Broadmoor is definitely a possibility.
          8. I expect the Sioux to make the NCAA Tournament. They should do well in their out of conference matchups this year (home versus Maine, Harvard and Winnipeg game vs Clarkson along with the Icebreaker vs Air Force and BC/Michigan St) which should help out come Pairwise time. North Dakota does not play a road out of conference game this season...something that is quite unusual for the Sioux, but it should help them out especially given the makeup of this team. Also, once you make the Tournament, as so many teams have shown, anything can happen. With a solid blueline and goalie, North Dakota will not be a team that people want to face. It would not surprise me at all to see the Sioux in Tampa, nor would it surprise me if they wound up winning the title. So many times in our school's history they have responded to devastating heartbreak from the previous season with a national title ('58 they lose to DU in the final, come back and win it all in '59. In '79 they lose to Minnesota for it all, come back in '80 and win it all. In '98 and '99 they were so strong but upset in the tourney, come back in '00 and win it all.)
          9. I expect to enjoy another great season of Sioux hockey. We're still about two months out, but it should be a great year. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and they make another great run at that elusive 8th National Title.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

This is completely off the topic of anything hockey related, but a very favorite band of mine is coming to GF August 30th. Hoots & Hellmouth will be playing at the ND Museum of Art. They are roots/Americana/folk and they are awesome. Check 'em out.

Now back to hockey...
            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

There is now an app for fighting sioux sports for iphone and android it provides video, stats, scores, and more.

http://www.fightingsiou*****/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205039235
              "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
              Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

I think we all expect their strength, early on, to be in the defensive zone. Unfortunate that Grimaldi will begin his career at UND in a year when they will be relying on defense and not in much position to open it up--at least until they know what they have by way of offense.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  I think we all expect their strength, early on, to be in the defensive zone. Unfortunate that Grimaldi will begin his career at UND in a year when they will be relying on defense and not in much position to open it up--at least until they know what they have by way of offense.
                  Maybe the Sue will play the old Eaves dump and chase this year if you are going to be a defensive team. Rocco could always cherry pick like Robbie Earl made a living doing.

Rocco's biggest worry needs to be keeping the bottle out of Kristo's hands on those -30 Grand Forks nights! When Kristy goes down, Grimaldi will really be in trouble finding ways to score.

Rocco will be one and down for sure...if he isn't in the AHL next year he will go OHL after he hears how much fun his buddy JT is having.

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
                    Maybe the Sue will play the old Eaves dump and chase this year if you are going to be a defensive team. Rocco could always cherry pick like Robbie Earl made a living doing.

Rocco's biggest worry needs to be keeping the bottle out of Kristo's hands on those -30 Grand Forks nights! When Kristy goes down, Grimaldi will really be in trouble finding ways to score.

Rocco will be one and down for sure...if he isn't in the AHL next year he will go OHL after he hears how much fun his buddy JT is having.

Toolshed.

Comment

• Originally posted by RinkPig View Post

Hi pig! It's DU, CC, UMD, and UND up here in the top ten preseason rankings and we were just wondering, uh, while you're down there unranked could you reach up and scratch our balls?

Comment

So I'm looking at the UND recruits list, including this year's freshmen.

Connor Gaarder -- Edina, MN
                        Michael DiPuma -- Chicago, Ill
                        Dan Senkbiel -- Fremont, CA
                        Andrew Panzarella -- Columbia, MD
                        Rocco Grimaldi -- Auburn Hills, MI
                        Colten St. Clair -- Gilbert, AZ
                        Michael Parks -- O'Fallon, MO
                        Nick Mattson -- Chanhassen, MN
                        Charlie Pelnik -- Cary, NC
                        Stefan Matteau -- Chicago, Ill
                        Jordan Schmaltz -- Verona, Wi
                        Miles Koules -- Los Angeles, CA
                        Jack Rowe -- Cary, Ill
                        Zane Gothberg -- Thief River Falls, MN
                        Nick Schmaltz -- Verona, Wi
                        Keaton Thompson -- Devils Lake, ND

Stephane Pattyn -- St. Anne, Manitoba
                        Mark MacMillan -- Penticton, BC
                        Brendan O'Donnell -- Winnipeg, Manitoba

What in the heck is going on here??? Hak, Eades and the staff lose their passports? Did the flooding in North Dakota block off all travel across the Canadian border?

We have a reputation to uphold. 60 years of overage Canadians and now Hak wants to throw it all away?

I demand answers!
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                          There is now an app for fighting sioux sports for iphone and android it provides video, stats, scores, and more.

http://www.fightingsiou*****/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205039235
                          Check the date on that. It's been out for a while.
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            Check the date on that. It's been out for a while.
                            W T F? I looked for it last year and all that came up were Western Civ or Aerospace lectures, I could have watched the highlights of UND getting shutout by UMich all night in my hotel room instead of crying in public!
                            Last edited by cross cheque; 08-09-2011, 08:21 AM. Reason: Really? "W T F" is blocked out?

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              So I'm looking at the UND recruits list, including this year's freshmen.

Connor Gaarder -- Edina, MN
                              Michael DiPuma -- Chicago, Ill
                              Dan Senkbiel -- Fremont, CA
                              Andrew Panzarella -- Columbia, MD
                              Rocco Grimaldi -- Auburn Hills, MI
                              Colten St. Clair -- Gilbert, AZ
                              Michael Parks -- O'Fallon, MO
                              Nick Mattson -- Chanhassen, MN
                              Charlie Pelnik -- Cary, NC
                              Stefan Matteau -- Chicago, Ill
                              Jordan Schmaltz -- Verona, Wi
                              Miles Koules -- Los Angeles, CA
                              Jack Rowe -- Cary, Ill
                              Zane Gothberg -- Thief River Falls, MN
                              Nick Schmaltz -- Verona, Wi
                              Keaton Thompson -- Devils Lake, ND

Stephane Pattyn -- St. Anne, Manitoba
                              Mark MacMillan -- Penticton, BC
                              Brendan O'Donnell -- Winnipeg, Manitoba

What in the heck is going on here??? Hak, Eades and the staff lose their passports? Did the flooding in North Dakota block off all travel across the Canadian border?

We have a reputation to uphold. 60 years of overage Canadians and now Hak wants to throw it all away?

I demand answers!
                              The over-age Canadians have been replaced by two guys from California, one from Missouri, one from Arizona, and one from North Carolina
                              University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs
                              2007 Alumni
                              WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1984, 1985, 1993
                              WCHA Tournament Champions: 1984, 1985, 2009
                              NCAA Appearances: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1993, 2004, 2009, 2011
                              Frozen Four Appearances: 1984, 1985, 2004, 2011
                              National Champions: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I demand answers!
                                The Canadians don't allow convicted drunk drivers into the country. Does that have anything to do with it?

Comment

Working...
                                X