Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    So, JT Miller goes to the Rangers at #15, and Grimaldi slips out of the First Round, but picked up by Florida at #33 overall.

Miller also made a very strong statement about playing at North Dakota, perhaps quashing the rumors that he would go the Major Junior route.
    it will be interesting to see how well Grimaldi handles the pounding that will happen during the wcha season. I am sure he will be fast enough to avoid any MTU pylon type defensemen, but it will only be a matter of time until he gets hit hard. His speed should make for a few breakaway highlight goals.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      it will be interesting to see how well Grimaldi handles the pounding that will happen during the wcha season. I am sure he will be fast enough to avoid any MTU pylon type defensemen, but it will only be a matter of time until he gets hit hard. His speed should make for a few breakaway highlight goals.
      No doubt. Grimaldi has held up well against 18 year olds, but playing in the WCHA will be an entirely different animal. I still think Grimaldi will need a bit of time to adjust to the level of play in the WCHA, and that Miller will have the better Freshman season. Grimaldi should be fun to watch, especially if he stays for a few years.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

A small fire broke out inside the Ralph Engelstad Arena today causing up to $1.5 million in damage.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/208650/

The fire was extinguished quickly, but it sounds like there is significant electrical damage, as well as smoke damage. Let's hope everything will be good to go by the time hockey season rolls around.

Comment

Hump day today. Woohoo! Off-season is half over.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Jason Gregoire has signed with his hometown Winnipeg Jets

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568798

Comment

sooooo.....what's everyone thinking about this "Super Conference"?
              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                I'm thinking that someone who is used to competing for league titles and going to NCAA tournaments is going to end up finishing in the bottom half of the league and staying home in March. Who remains to be seen.

All these schools spend money on their programs, but they all expect success for that investment. By definition, not everyone in any given league can have success. And this new league, if it happens, leaves all the "cupcakes" of the current WCHA and CCHA behind. On the other hand, we should see some great hockey being played.
                sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Hate it, but I can't do anything about it. The only thing I can do is defend my team for whatever reason they have.
                  "My greatest achievement."
                  Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Can't say I'm a fan of the idea. However, if the UND officials think it is for the best then I'll just have to trust that they know what they are doing and that they put a lot of thought into this new conference idea before actually pulling the trigger....

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                      I'm thinking that someone who is used to competing for league titles and going to NCAA tournaments is going to end up finishing in the bottom half of the league and staying home in March. Who remains to be seen.

All these schools spend money on their programs, but they all expect success for that investment. By definition, not everyone in any given league can have success. And this new league, if it happens, leaves all the "cupcakes" of the current WCHA and CCHA behind. On the other hand, we should see some great hockey being played.
                      Agreed completely. Even the B10 conference has a couple cupcake teams for the big guns to beat up on. This new super conference has none of that as of yet.

Maybe they should have thrown Tech and LSSU a bone and invited them too.
                      I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                        Maybe they should have thrown Tech and LSSU a bone and invited them too.
                        Or Tech and UAA. Keep the trophy and the 2 bonus games.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                          Hate it, but I can't do anything about it. The only thing I can do is defend my team for whatever reason they have.
                          I agree that I don't like it, and can't do anything about it. I'm going to have a harder time defending the move. Being a fan of the program doesn't mean I have to like, agree with, or defend everything the program does. I can sympathize with the ill-feelings of those whos teams have been left behind, and don't begrudge them those feelings.

Comment

I don't like it all right now but that could change with time. It really sucks as far as traveling goes since SCSU,BSU,and MSU will no longer be a given on the schedule. The closest venue now will be UMD. Going to be one tough league especially if Notre Dame joins and another powerhouse whomever that may be. Time will tell what this will do for the state of college hockey but as of right now I am against the changes.
                            Last edited by icehawk; 07-10-2011, 12:40 PM.
                            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

As a Sioux fan who lives in Colorado, I really enjoy the new league. It gives me a chance to see my team play four games a year out here. I know having UND in the springs and denver every year will help those schools with having a sellout when the sioux fans in Colorado buy a ton of tickets.

A lot of fans from the leftover teams are saying their programs can't survive with a schedule full of MSUM, SCSU, BSU, UAA and etc... however that is exactly what UND was left with once UMN and WI announced they were leaving. The schools in the new league all wanted to bring in higher named hockey schools consistently, and this new league does that. I don't believe the overreacting by some fans that this is going to be the end of 10 teams. It wouldn't surprise me if one or two teams close their programs, but those programs were on thin ice anyway.

Comment

I just woke up from a 98-day coma. What the hell is going on?
                                'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Working...
                                X