Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
    well if I was picking with my heart i think id have minnesota higher than 5th or 6th heading into the year so there goes that theory. my guess is the only difference you would make is switching the gophers with the sioux- so i could JUST as easily say the same to you. i read your post and got the impression you simply dont like the idea of someone thinking the sioux are an average team for the first time in a while. i agree goaltending is a push. defense goes to the sioux. and I have scoring going to the gophers. i dont see what the problem is there.

and if you expect the sioux to look anywhere close to as defensively sound as last year when they were playing with 3 goal leads all night, then you my friend are the one using your heart over your head. LOL. and for the record- i make a jab on here once in a while about the sioux.. but I dont take satisfaction in them losing. outside of minnesota I support the sioux above all others. i simply dont think they will be a factor after losing like 70% of their scoring. again- the gophs lost a lot of their scorers too but its well known they didnt have ANY real scorers to begin with. if bjugstad and budish were to combine for 35g this year (even you will agree thats not far fetched) that would nearly negate all of their departing senior forwards from last year. i did botch the UM-ND series though so ill shut up now.
    I don't really care what people think is going to happen with the Sioux. My issue with your prediction was that it didn't make any sense. Typically, players don't leave early after having poor seasons, and yet you think that not only will North Dakota have a terrible season, but they will see a mass defection from the program. To me, that doesn't make sense at all.

I'm not sure how Minnesota has the edge over North Dakota offensively. North Dakota has the more highly regarded offensive recruits coming in, and has the better returning players. Offensively, North Dakota returns 177 points from 14 players (about 12.64 points/player). Minnesota returns 148 points from 17 players (about 8.71 points/player). Added to that, is that North Dakota has a higher regarded incoming freshman class. Obviously, that remains to be seen. Minnesota has had some very highly regarded classes that bombed at the collegiate level. As for Bjugstad and Budish putting up a combined 35 goals, it's completely doable, but considering that they've put up a combined 17 goals in 75 games in their careers, I wouldn't bank on it. FWIW, the Gopher seniors last year put up 51 goals.

Since Hakstol took over, North Dakota has consistently been a top notch Defensive squad. I definitely expect North Dakota to be very sound in our own end next year (along with almost everyone else that I've talked with, Sioux fans and non-Sioux fans).

Here are North Dakota's Team Defense stats since Hakstol took over...

2010-2011: 2.14 gpg (2nd Half: 1.71 gpg)
    2009-2010: 2.12 gpg (2nd Half: 2.08 gpg)
    2008-2009: 2.74 gpg (2nd Half: 2.53 gpg)
    2007-2008: 1.86 gpg (2nd Half: 1.65 gpg)
    2006-2007: 2.70 gpg (2nd Half: 2.36 gpg)
    2005-2006: 2.37 gpg (2nd Half: 2.26 gpg)
    2004-2005: 2.29 gpg (2nd Half: 2.26 gpg)

As we can see, the Sioux under Hakstol have always been a very strong defensive team, especially in the second half of the season. While last year's team was very strong defensively, it was only the third best statistically under Hakstol, and second best in the second half. That's why I'm not too concerned about a fall off defensively.

If you want to call me a homer, that's fine, I am. However, I also like to have some sort of solid argument behind what I say other than ifs and buts. I also think I'm very level headed when it comes to North Dakota hockey.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan33 View Post
      I feel like Dell came out of nowhere, was he a highly regarded recruit ?
      He was considered a solid recruit, but was lost a bit because Eidsness was a two-time All-WCHA Goalie coming into this year and Dell had only played in a handful of games prior to this season.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
        At least they didn't go backwards to the ushl
        it may not be a bad choice, because if a player transfers, to say a bottom half CCHA team, etc, and has to sit out a whole year, he may be better off getting a whole lot of games and ice time as opposed to losing a whole year of hockey. It sure does seem that kids are not satisfied, except for goalies, to wait a year or two for ice time to open up at some schools. it must make recruiting a depth type player ( for the first 2 years or so) very frustrating, to say the least. If they play too good, like Stu Bickel, they leave for a pro contract, if they don't play good enough, like Minnesota's 2 players, they leave for more ice time elsewhere. The over all goal of getting a pro contract has certainly replaced the goal of a diploma. it may well turn out to start to hurt UND more than it has in the resent past, you have been pretty lucky over the last ten years or so.
        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

fighting sioux- that is fair enough.

my only problem with banking on last years stats for this years production is that in a case with the sioux- guys like knight and nelson are going to be relied on as the guys this year when last year there was no pressure and they were playing teams that had already been pounded into oblivion by malone, frattin and the likes. meanwhile some other teams, particularly young teams last year (denver, UNO, UM), you would expect those young players to take a step forward from their 1st to their 2nd year. when the sioux dont have a lot of 2nd year players- you are already getting what you are likely getting from your upperclassmen, and your freshmen may take time to grow accustomed to the wcha..

maybe the sioux will finish 3rd or 4th. you certainly have the coach to do it. I think you have the best coach (and coaching staff) in college hockey. im excited to see how the sioux look this year.. if lucia and company had your roster id expect a poor year. lets see what hakstol can do. ill be surprised if he does much better than 8th.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
            The over all goal of getting a pro contract has certainly replaced the goal of a diploma. it may well turn out to start to hurt UND more than it has in the resent past, you have been pretty lucky over the last ten years or so.
            Not luck. At UND the coaches and alumni help players make intelligent informed decisions.

At UND it's not whether or not they will get a pro contract, it is assumed they (Matt Frattin for example) will. Its not that first pro contract they should be too concerned with it is the second contract, that long term multi-million dollar contract which sets them up for life. Thay don't just want to sign a contract, most players that are drafted will be offered a contract, they want to succeed at the next level.

Seems easier for forwards with raw talent to leave early, but the NHL expects a lot more out of defensemen and goaltenders than raw talent. Players like Nick Leddy shouldn't be leaving early. Not good for their career when sports columnists report that a players is not NHL ready, see Chicago Tribune article below:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...th-stan-bowman

Puppies like Nick Leddy and Marcus Kruger weren't really NHL ready.
            In 46 games Leddy was often paired up with Chicago's top defensemen but had only 7 points and was a -3 for the season. Not the kind of performance one would expect out of a 1st round pick and a Minnesota Mr. Hockey winner.
            "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
              I don't really care what people think is going to happen with the Sioux. My issue with your prediction was that it didn't make any sense. Typically, players don't leave early after having poor seasons, and yet you think that not only will North Dakota have a terrible season, but they will see a mass defection from the program. To me, that doesn't make sense at all.

I'm not sure how Minnesota has the edge over North Dakota offensively. North Dakota has the more highly regarded offensive recruits coming in, and has the better returning players. Offensively, North Dakota returns 177 points from 14 players (about 12.64 points/player). Minnesota returns 148 points from 17 players (about 8.71 points/player). Added to that, is that North Dakota has a higher regarded incoming freshman class. Obviously, that remains to be seen. Minnesota has had some very highly regarded classes that bombed at the collegiate level. As for Bjugstad and Budish putting up a combined 35 goals, it's completely doable, but considering that they've put up a combined 17 goals in 75 games in their careers, I wouldn't bank on it. FWIW, the Gopher seniors last year put up 51 goals.

Since Hakstol took over, North Dakota has consistently been a top notch Defensive squad. I definitely expect North Dakota to be very sound in our own end next year (along with almost everyone else that I've talked with, Sioux fans and non-Sioux fans).

Here are North Dakota's Team Defense stats since Hakstol took over...

2010-2011: 2.14 gpg (2nd Half: 1.71 gpg)
              2009-2010: 2.12 gpg (2nd Half: 2.08 gpg)
              2008-2009: 2.74 gpg (2nd Half: 2.53 gpg)
              2007-2008: 1.86 gpg (2nd Half: 1.65 gpg)
              2006-2007: 2.70 gpg (2nd Half: 2.36 gpg)
              2005-2006: 2.37 gpg (2nd Half: 2.26 gpg)
              2004-2005: 2.29 gpg (2nd Half: 2.26 gpg)

As we can see, the Sioux under Hakstol have always been a very strong defensive team, especially in the second half of the season. While last year's team was very strong defensively, it was only the third best statistically under Hakstol, and second best in the second half. That's why I'm not too concerned about a fall off defensively.

If you want to call me a homer, that's fine, I am. However, I also like to have some sort of solid argument behind what I say other than ifs and buts. I also think I'm very level headed when it comes to North Dakota hockey.
              Thank you! Excellent analysis!

There are other intangible factors at play here also. As defending WCHA champions, teams will not overlook us, the WCHA will be competative, and we will expect a lot from incomming freshmen. However, having the two WCHA championship trophies in our lobby, the incomming freshmen will be expected defend our WCHA titles. Yes, it will be a big challenge, but I have a feeling that with this incomming group that they will not dissapoint.
              "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Looks like the Badgers may not schedule any more games against the Sioux once they leave the WCHA.

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c002e0.html

One complication to the Badgers playing against WCHA opponents is that they wouldn't be able to schedule North Dakota — a major rival and perennial national power — because of its Fighting Sioux nickname and Native American warrior logo. UW has a policy that prohibits scheduling non-conference opponents with monikers that defy an NCAA mandate against racially insensitive nicknames. "We'd love to continue our relationship with North Dakota," Frazier said, "but North Dakota has to figure (its nickname issue) out from an NCAA perspective."
                Sounds like an opportunity for Native American Fighting Sioux hockey fans to sue UW for racial discrimination, Native American hockey fans will clearly be harmed if UW actually refuses to play UND. Any such policy that discriminates against Native Americans should be struck down by the courts as unconstitutional.
                Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM.

Comment

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...es-free-agency

NY Times report on Jason Gregoire:

Islanders Prospect Chooses Freedom

Jason Gregoire, an Islanders third-round draft pick in 2007, is taking advantage of a loophole and will entertain offers from other teams as an unrestricted free agent in July.

The collective bargaining agreement allows for college players to become free agents 30 days after leaving school, if they are four years removed from their draft year. Gregoire just completed his junior year at North Dakota, but played one season for the Lincoln Stars of the United States Hockey League before joining the Fighting Sioux. By withdrawing from school last week. Gregoire becomes just the second player to take advantage of the loophole. Blake Wheeler, who was selected fourth over all in the 2004 draft by the Phoenix Coyotes, signed as a free agent with the Boston Bruins on July 1, 2008.

The Gregoire case is surprising because he does not share Wheeler’s high draft ranking or upside potential as a scoring forward in the N.H.L. But coming off an excellent junior season in which he scored 25 goals and added 18 assists for 43 points in 35 games, Gregoire (and his agent) may feel he could get a better contract on the open market than the Islanders have offered so far.

Some scouts view the 6-foot, 200-pound left as capable enough to see some action in the N.H.L. next season but do not see him as a special prospect.

In an interview with the Grand Forks Herald, Gregoire said he might still sign with the team that drafted him.

I hold the Islanders in the highest regard,” Gregoire said. “In no way, shape or form have I ruled them out. I just don’t have all of the information right now to make a decision. I think very highly of them and they think the same of me. They know what’s going to happen as far as me keeping my options open. We’ll talk some more. If they are the best option, I will go with them.”

Despite Gregoire’s optimism, you have to wonder what the rebuilding Islanders think of one of their draft picks — not a premier young player by any stretch — telling the organization that he’ll get back to them after listening to pitches from other teams. It is also fair to calculate that Gregoire and his agent have jumped through the collegiate loophole because, in their opinion, they have not received fair-market offers from the Islanders in the month since Gregoire played his last college game. He may be leaving the door open, but is the team? The Islanders have yet to comment on the matter.

Gregoire was born and raised in Winnipeg. Perhaps he is waiting to see if his hometown gets an N.H.L. franchise.
                  Nice to see that Gegoire is competative both on and off the ice. Hopefully he will get the contract offer he deserves.

Comment

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next...comment-page-1

Excellent prospect analysis on Rocco Grimaldi. Considered to be the most skilled draft eligible player. Will be interesting to see when/where he gets picked in the draft.

Also with all this talent comming in 2011/2012 it should be an interesting season.
                    Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 05-26-2011, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Huge amount of local interest in the sale of the Atlanta Thrashers which was completed and will be announced in Winnegeg today, according to ESPN.
                      http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

Got to love how Jonathan Toews, who is now doing charity work in Winnipeg, is handling all the questions directed at him about the sale. He has been giving credit to Winnipeg and the Jets for helping to make him the player he is today and yet reminding everyone that he loves Chicago and its fans. Seems there are a lot of Winnipegers that want him to captain their new team.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/28...-them-on-toews

Comment

A proud monent for UND alumni Mark Chipman, the man who brought pro hockey back to Winnipeg.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...article2042308

Mr. Chipman ended up winning an athletic scholarship to the University of North Dakota, where he was a receiver and backup quarterback.

He knew his athletic limitations well enough to stick to his studies and he graduated from North Dakota with degrees in economics and law.

Comment

Just so you guys are aware, it looks like there will be no series with Ferris State this year.

Any further schedule updates? I have you guys at 3 games remaining.

Comment

Good news for Drew Stafford. 4 years 16 Mil
                            http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle443332.ece

If he hasn't responded to your text message, he apologizes.

"My phone's blowing up," said Stafford, laughing from his home in Minnesota. "I'm trying to keep it all together here."
                            Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 06-06-2011, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Three Sioux players will participate in the upcoming Montreal Canadians prospect camp: Aaron Dell; Danny Kristo; and Michael Cichy.
                              http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...304/story.html
                              The most promising player in the group may be Aaron Dell, who will join University of North Dakota teammates Danny Kristo and Michael Cichy at the camp. Dell earned All-America honours after posting a 30-7-2 record with a 1.79 goals-against average.

Comment

With NHL draft at the X in just a couple weeks, any Sioux fans planning on attending?

Sounds like an opportunity to meet some of the players and their families. Would be awsome if the UND pep band was in the building to play the Fight Song everytime a Sioux player gets drafted.

Sioux players in the news: (Don't worry this is good news. )

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...912/story.html

Simpson, who will join his son at the draft ... Dillon has talked to the Oilers, and will have a few interviews with other teams once he gets to Minnesota for draft week. ... Dillon, a puck-moving defenceman, went to university a year early, at age 17. While a solid 192 pounds, he was still a babe competing against 23and 24-year-olds a lot of nights for North Dakota, one of the top-rated teams in the U.S. Dillon's mother, Christine, and Craig wanted him to go the college route. "Maybe that hurt his draft rankings, but he was playing against men, he's had a year of university at 18, and he got a 4.0 grade-point average in his first year," said Craig, who was at Michigan State at age 16, also studying business. ... Dillon knows what he has to improve. "Foot speed. Been working on it my whole career. My dad always tells me I got the same legs he did," Dillon said jokingly.
                                http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/0...second-to-none
                                "It's not about goals and assists with a kid like Colten (StClair)," Fargo Force coach/director of hockey operations Jason Herter told NHL.com, " It's about the way he brings the entire team up." ...Leadership and work ethic alone won't get St. Clair to the NHL, though, so it's a good thing he also is a highly skilled player. ... "Colten is a tenacious player and a very good skater, and he possesses a very good shot that he can get off quickly," Central Scouting's David Gregory said.

Comment

Working...
                                X