Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Originally posted by PhatKroger10 View Post
    You think Grimaldi will impress enough to be a 2nd liner already? I just really don't see Rodwell being a second line player yet, I think Lamoureux will play 2nd. Everyone has been talking about Grimaldi, but Miller and St. Clair could be just as dangerous, I agree with you there! I'll make a call right now that Dickin will be the most improved and impressive (for expectations) player for the Sioux in the 2011-2012 season.
    a top line, and two fairly equal 2nd and 3rd lines is more valuable than a true 1, 2, 3 lines, IMHO.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      a top line, and two fairly equal 2nd and 3rd lines is more valuable than a true 1, 2, 3 lines, IMHO.
      I don't want to jinx it or anything, but if Gregoire comes back, the top line of Gregoire, Knight and Kristo could easily put up gigantic numbers. Gregoire knows how to find the back of the net, Knight is an all around, unselfish player, and Kristo is pure raw talent who I saw being molded into another Frattin (on our 2nd line PP Kristo was playing RD similar to Frattin). Could be really dangerous, and UMD proved that you can win with just one phenomenal line. I'm just nervous how things will shake out behind that.

Comment

You think Grimaldi will impress enough to be a 2nd liner already? I just really don't see Rodwell being a second line player yet, I think Lamoureux will play 2nd. Everyone has been talking about Grimaldi, but Miller and St. Clair could be just as dangerous, I agree with you there! I'll make a call right now that Dickin will be the most improved and impressive (for expectations) player for the Sioux in the 2011-2012 season.
        Um... Kristo came in as a freshman and they put him on the top line with Gregoire & Vandy. So yes, Grimaldi can impress enough to be a 2nd liner.

I don't think Lamoureux will ever be in the top 6. He's not one of our top offensive players. He's a depth guy and I can't see him anywhere but on the 3rd or 4th line. That's just his role. If anything, I think we see a 2nd line of Grimaldi-Nelson-Miller. I think St. Clair will be in for a battle for playing time on the 4th line to be honest. I think what's really interesting is that four of our incoming recruits have played together in juniors. You have Miller & Grimaldi who were linemates and you have MacMillan & O'Donnell, who were linemates in Penticton. It'll be interesting to see if the coaching staff decides to take that into consideration when determining a lineup.

Comment

I agree with all your points FS23, and even in the NC game, Brown was the best player on the ice hands down. He had killer speed and great vision, including the shot, etc, he's the real deal. Hell of a player. UMD will be alright.
          We also having a quality goaltender coming in, McNeely who played for the US U-18 Team. We will challenge for the MacNaughton but most likely not win it. top three or four team again me thinks.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I don't want to jinx it or anything, but if Gregoire comes back, the top line of Gregoire, Knight and Kristo could easily put up gigantic numbers. Gregoire knows how to find the back of the net, Knight is an all around, unselfish player, and Kristo is pure raw talent who I saw being molded into another Frattin (on our 2nd line PP Kristo was playing RD similar to Frattin). Could be really dangerous, and UMD proved that you can win with just one phenomenal line. I'm just nervous how things will shake out behind that.
            While I agree with everything you said, I would add that (pending early departures) there are 4 other teams who could say the same thing and two of those add depth as well. I believe UW has Smith and Zengerle coming back (79 combined points), DU has D. Shore and Zucker (91 combined points), UMD has Connolly and Brown (92 points), while CC has the Schwartzes (85 points). Gregoire and Knight combined for 87, so they're right in that range. Each team will also count on someone stepping up in the 3rd spot on that line, either a freshman or a returning player who hasn't yet proved he can produce at that level. I don't see that UND has an advantage over those teams in terms of a top line for next year, at least not at this point. With Gregoire coming back they should have a top line that's definitely one of the top lines in the WCHA, but other teams have just as much reason to say the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
              We also having a quality goaltender coming in, McNeely who played for the US U-18 Team. We will challenge for the MacNaughton but most likely not win it. top three or four team again me thinks.
              Please. McNeely sucks. He rode the pine at the U18 tournament. I could've won the Gold Medal doing as much as he did.
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                While I agree with everything you said, I would add that (pending early departures) there are 4 other teams who could say the same thing and two of those add depth as well. I believe UW has Smith and Zengerle coming back (79 combined points), DU has D. Shore and Zucker (91 combined points), UMD has Connolly and Brown (92 points), while CC has the Schwartzes (85 points). Gregoire and Knight combined for 87, so they're right in that range. Each team will also count on someone stepping up in the 3rd spot on that line, either a freshman or a returning player who hasn't yet proved he can produce at that level. I don't see that UND has an advantage over those teams in terms of a top line for next year, at least not at this point. With Gregoire coming back they should have a top line that's definitely one of the top lines in the WCHA, but other teams have just as much reason to say the same.
                Agreed. North Dakota will not be the juggarnaut offensively that they were this past season. We will win games the Dave Hakstol way, and that is with top notch defense and timely scoring. I am expecting more 3-2 or 2-1 games than this past season where we averaged 4 goals/game.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  Agreed. North Dakota will not be the juggarnaut offensively that they were this past season. We will win games the Dave Hakstol way, and that is with top notch defense and timely scoring. I am expecting more 3-2 or 2-1 games than this past season where we averaged 4 goals/game.
                  Mattson Named USHL Defenseman of the Year
                  http://ushl.com/news/story2.cfm?id=3998

Saying that Nick Mattson is now ready for the next level (college) seems to be a huge understatement. He should develop nicely at UND considering who his linemates will be and the quality of coaching. Hope to see UND shutout a lot of teams next season!
                  "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                    Um... Kristo came in as a freshman and they put him on the top line with Gregoire & Vandy. So yes, Grimaldi can impress enough to be a 2nd liner.

I don't think Lamoureux will ever be in the top 6. He's not one of our top offensive players. He's a depth guy and I can't see him anywhere but on the 3rd or 4th line. That's just his role. If anything, I think we see a 2nd line of Grimaldi-Nelson-Miller. I think St. Clair will be in for a battle for playing time on the 4th line to be honest. I think what's really interesting is that four of our incoming recruits have played together in juniors. You have Miller & Grimaldi who were linemates and you have MacMillan & O'Donnell, who were linemates in Penticton. It'll be interesting to see if the coaching staff decides to take that into consideration when determining a lineup.
                    Hockey is a sport where roles are highly important, and I do agree, Lameroux is there to add depth.
                    Originally posted by Rich View Post
                    This also leads me to think, could this be one of the deepest years in the WCHA? The WCHA has a ton of talent left, even after the early departures this year, and it will be interesting to see how everything pans out.
                    AF 99

Comment

This also leads me to think, could this be one of the deepest years in the WCHA? The WCHA has a ton of talent left, even after the early departures this year, and it will be interesting to see how everything pans out.
                      While yes it has potential, it is still extremely early in the offseason. There are plenty of guys who can still go pro, even if they have claimed they are returning.

Comment

The news about Bruneteau transferring surprised me. Congrats to him on graduating in two years and getting accepted into graduate school, and best of luck. Does this mean for the team, then, that a recruit currently slotted for 2012 will now come in this Fall? Who might it be?

Comment

Sioux lose two more players today:

-Brett Bruneteau will be transferring to Vermont (he graduated in two years and will attend grad school)

-Mike Cichy will also be transferring. His destination is unknown at this point.

Now we await decisions from Gregoire and Eidsness. Hopefully there won't be any surprise departures.

Comment

Originally posted by MissSioux85 View Post
                            Sioux lose two more players today:

-Brett Bruneteau will be transferring to Vermont (he graduated in two years and will attend grad school)

-Mike Cichy will also be transferring. His destination is unknown at this point.

Now we await decisions from Gregoire and Eidsness. Hopefully there won't be any surprise departures.
                            I guess Bruneteau transferring to UVM isn't a huge surprise. He has a younger brother that plays there.
                            Go Sioux!!!
                            Go Cadets!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Yelnick View Post
                              I guess Bruneteau transferring to UVM isn't a huge surprise. He has a younger brother that plays there.
                              You have to respect his decision, how cool would it be to play division I hockey with your brother?
                              AF 99

Comment

Agreed that it would be cool to play with your brother; but do you think these decisions were also fueled by a lack of playing time this year? This leaves us with quite a hole in seniority. Though we didn't get to see a whole lot of either player this year, no doubt both individuals were talented. I think more than anything this news effects Taylor Dickin and Carter Rowney, I think either could possibly fill in the roster. It will be really interesting to see how the team shakes out in the next couple weeks here.

Comment

Working...
                                X