Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
    yeah.. I agree on DU and CC. although I think omaha and the gophers will edge the sioux this year, especially if gregoire leaves. even if he stays, you guys have lost so much. we will see.
    I could see Omaha being a top 3 team this year, but I just don't see Minnesota being that strong. They obviously have the talent, but they lost a lot as well. 4 of their top 5 scorers are gone, and their top 3 d-men are gone. Their top point person is Haula, who only put up 24 points last year, and after that it is Hansen and Bjugstad (if he's back) who only put up 20 points. I think Minnesota will struggle offensively, and will have to rely heavily on Patterson. He's a good goalie (I would have voted him 1st Team All-WCHA last season), but it will be a difficult situation for him again. There are going to be a lot of pretty good teams in the WCHA next year, and I think Minnesota will struggle for home-ice. As it is, i think DU, CC, UNO, UMD, UND and Wisconsin are all better on paper, and SCSU and Anchorage are probably equal. Now, I'm not saying that Minnesota will finish 9th, but they very well could. It will depend alot on how their freshmen come in and if they can step up.

Originally posted by jerryj
    anybody have advice on when to get 2 tickets for the gopher-sioux games? the last 2 years ive tried- but it seems like theyve sold out both years in the presale. is the presale only for alumni or anything like that? how does that work? thanks!
    The series in Grand Forks will sell out during the presale, so unless you have a connection to someone who can get you the presale code, I would suggest Stubhub. You will most likely have to pay $100+/ticket though, perhaps more depending on how well the Sioux and Gophers are doing. You can always try GPL or Siouxsports.com, but typically there are more asking than selling.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

UMD has lost way too much i think.

the gophs- bjugstad, haula, budish back, hansen, condon, matson, and freshmen ambroz and rau will be productive. patterson in net. but youre right- the question is the D. i think guys like alt, schmidt, and parenteau will be more servicable than wehrs and fairchild, maybe even ness. but this is your thread.

as for the guy that said i was a moose knuckle- lol, if you cant take a little razzing then i dont know what to tell you. to the last sioux fan that posted- thanks for the advice on getting tickets. itll be interesting to see if gregoire returns. I would have thought hed have announced he was returning if he was.. and I am sure the islanders know if they dont sign him this summer, he is gone.

Comment

UMD has lost way too much i think.
        They still have Jack Connolly, who nearly put up 60 points (he could still be going pro), and JT Brown (also a flight-risk) who was dominating towards the end of the year. He put up 37 points. Oleksuk is another returning 30+ points scorer. Losing Faulk hurt, but it was expected. If Connolly and Brown both come back, Duluth will challenge for the MacNaughton.

the gophs- bjugstad, haula, budish back, hansen, condon, matson, and freshmen ambroz and rau will be productive. patterson in net. but youre right- the question is the D. i think guys like alt, schmidt, and parenteau will be more servicable than wehrs and fairchild, maybe even ness. but this is your thread.
        I just don't see Minnesota putting up big offensive numbers, especially when you factor in the high quality blueliners throughout the rest of the conference. As I said, they have the talent, but they've had the talent the last 3-4 years and haven't done much with it. What is interesting, is there will not be a player on the Gophers that has played in a NCAA Tournament game. That doesn't mean that they can't get there, but I don't see them doing it this year. Depending on early departures, I think Minnesota will be fighting for home ice.

as for the guy that said i was a moose knuckle- lol, if you cant take a little razzing then i dont know what to tell you. to the last sioux fan that posted- thanks for the advice on getting tickets. itll be interesting to see if gregoire returns. I would have thought hed have announced he was returning if he was.. and I am sure the islanders know if they dont sign him this summer, he is gone.
        I would have thought Gregoire would have announced if he was returning or not as well. As a huge Islanders fan, we don't really have a "need" for Gregoire, as our AHL team (Bridgeport) is pretty stocked with young talent. That being said, there is always that possibility of losing a player like Gregoire if they wait until after his senior year to sign him. We'll see what happens, but there is a strong possibility that if Gregoire signed, he would be splitting time between Kalamazoo (ECHL) and Bridgeport. I really wouldn't be surprised either way, but I am hoping that Gregoire sticks around another year. We were never supposed to get Gregoire in the first place, so I already consider his three years a bonus, but would love to see him in Kelly Green and White for one more season. We'll see.
        North Dakota

Comment

yeah jt brown was a beast- but you said it- hes still a flight risk. back to the gophers- hill is supposedly gone. we will see what affect that has. it could be huge (i think it will be)- or not at all. the gophs will turn around as quickly as they went to S***. maybe itll be this year- maybe it wont.

Comment

yeah jt brown was a beast- but you said it- hes still a flight risk. back to the gophers- hill is supposedly gone. we will see what affect that has. it could be huge (i think it will be)- or not at all. the gophs will turn around as quickly as they went to S***. maybe itll be this year- maybe it wont.
            If Hill leaves, I could see Minnesota being slightly better. If it is as simple as getting rid of Hill and the Gophers are magically better, they will be kicking themselves for ever bringing him in. Unfortunately, at least from what I have heard (and I am by no means an insider) is that Hill will be back. IMO, the bigger problem is inconsistency (and perhaps Hill is a part of that). Until Minnesota can consistently play solid hockey, they won't be making it back to the NCAA Tournament. They host again next year, so I'm sure the NCAA is pulling for them to make the tournament. If not, and if UND makes the NCAAs and gets placed in St. Paul, expect the Xcel to be full of green again.

As for JT Brown, if he comes back, I think he's in the running for player of the year. It was a lot of fun watching him over the final few weeks of the season.
            North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
              If Hill leaves, I could see Minnesota being slightly better. If it is as simple as getting rid of Hill and the Gophers are magically better, they will be kicking themselves for ever bringing him in. Unfortunately, at least from what I have heard (and I am by no means an insider) is that Hill will be back. IMO, the bigger problem is inconsistency (and perhaps Hill is a part of that). Until Minnesota can consistently play solid hockey, they won't be making it back to the NCAA Tournament. They host again next year, so I'm sure the NCAA is pulling for them to make the tournament. If not, and if UND makes the NCAAs and gets placed in St. Paul, expect the Xcel to be full of green again.

As for JT Brown, if he comes back, I think he's in the running for player of the year. It was a lot of fun watching him over the final few weeks of the season.
              With no respect to UMD, but if they're only returning Jack Connolly, JT Brown and Oleksuk, are they really more of a threat than UND with Gregoire, Kristo, Knight and solid returning D as well as Dell? I agree that Brown could be a WCHA PoY candidate (he was so fast!), but I can't imagine them entering the WCHA tournament with better than a 5 seed.

Comment

I've read a lot of people talking about how strong the UND defense will be next year. Didn't they lose Genoway, Marto, and LaPoint, all of whom played in almost all of the Sioux's games last year? There's no question they return quite a bit of talent, but won't losing the minutes those guys played hurt? Or despite playing a lot of games did they not play many minutes as the 5/6 guys? I have to admit, I don't recall Marto or LaPoint distinctly.

Or is this yet another case of USCHO having the wrong year listed on the roster, and one or more of those guys will be back?

Comment

Originally posted by PhatKroger10 View Post
                  With no respect to UMD, but if they're only returning Jack Connolly, JT Brown and Oleksuk, are they really more of a threat than UND with Gregoire, Kristo, Knight and solid returning D as well as Dell? I agree that Brown could be a WCHA PoY candidate (he was so fast!), but I can't imagine them entering the WCHA tournament with better than a 5 seed.
                  I'm not saying that they would be the best team in the league, but I think they would be right there with DU, CC and UND (perhaps even UNO and Wisconsin) in fighting for the MacNaughton.
                  North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                    I've read a lot of people talking about how strong the UND defense will be next year. Didn't they lose Genoway, Marto, and LaPoint, all of whom played in almost all of the Sioux's games last year? There's no question they return quite a bit of talent, but won't losing the minutes those guys played hurt? Or despite playing a lot of games did they not play many minutes as the 5/6 guys? I have to admit, I don't recall Marto or LaPoint distinctly.

Or is this yet another case of USCHO having the wrong year listed on the roster, and one or more of those guys will be back?
                    Genoway was out quite a bit of the year, and Marto played Forward at various different points. North Dakota was absolutely LOADED last year with arguably 8 top-4 defensemen. Blood, MacWilliam, Simpson, Gleason and Forbort all played along the blueline (although Gleason occassionally played forward, and Simpson sat about half the time) and were all very talented. I would be very surprised this year if North Dakota isn't top 2 or so in goals against.
                    North Dakota

Comment

Thanks 23. Normally I hope that players don't turn pro - even when they play for opposing teams. I like to see good college hockey. But with UND loaded in net and on defense, I won't be too upset of Gregoire decides to sign.

Comment

Genoway was out quite a bit of the year, and Marto played Forward at various different points. North Dakota was absolutely LOADED last year with arguably 8 top-4 defensemen. Blood, MacWilliam, Simpson, Gleason and Forbort all played along the blueline (although Gleason occassionally played forward, and Simpson sat about half the time) and were all very talented. I would be very surprised this year if North Dakota isn't top 2 or so in goals against.
                        Agreed, it was almost frustrating that we had to sit some of these guys when you were really hoping to see Simpson or Gleason get some playing time. With no offense to the senior class of D we had this year , they were only consistently playing D every night because they were seniors (with the exception of Genoway).

Fighting Sioux 23, what would you predict our starting lines look like next year? Do you think we could see a Gregoire, Knight, Kristo starting line? Or will there even be a Gregoire?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                          Thanks 23. Normally I hope that players don't turn pro - even when they play for opposing teams. I like to see good college hockey. But with UND loaded in net and on defense, I won't be too upset of Gregoire decides to sign.

Understandable. Without Gregoire I think it's a horserace between DU and CC for the MacNaughton, unless Grimaldi, Miller or St. Clair put up Zucker/Schwartz type freshman seasons. Either way, good luck to CC next year.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Agreed, it was almost frustrating that we had to sit some of these guys when you were really hoping to see Simpson or Gleason get some playing time. With no offense to the senior class of D we had this year , they were only consistently playing D every night because they were seniors (with the exception of Genoway).

Fighting Sioux 23, what would you predict our starting lines look like next year? Do you think we could see a Gregoire, Knight, Kristo starting line? Or will there even be a Gregoire?
                            I'm not the best at lines, but if Gregoire comes back, I would think something like this...

Gregoire - Knight - Kristo
                            Grimaldi - Nelson - Rodwell
                            Rowney - Lamoureux - Miller

At this point, i wouldn't even guess at a 4th line.

There are rumors flying around (again, rumors) that Cichy and Bruneteau may be leaving to play elsewhere. So, we'll see what happens with those guys. We also have a few more freshmen coming in in Parks, St. Clair (he could be a player who comes in a little under the gun and surprises), MacMillan and O'Donnell. Those guys will fight it out for the fourth line along with Taylor Dickin.

Of course, these are just my thoughts
                            North Dakota

Comment

I'm not the best at lines, but if Gregoire comes back, I would think something like this...

Gregoire - Knight - Kristo
                              Grimaldi - Nelson - Rodwell
                              Rowney - Lamoureux - Miller

At this point, i wouldn't even guess at a 4th line.

There are rumors flying around (again, rumors) that Cichy and Bruneteau may be leaving to play elsewhere. So, we'll see what happens with those guys. We also have a few more freshmen coming in in Parks, St. Clair (he could be a player who comes in a little under the gun and surprises), MacMillan and O'Donnell. Those guys will fight it out for the fourth line along with Taylor Dickin.

Of course, these are just my thoughts
                              You think Grimaldi will impress enough to be a 2nd liner already? I just really don't see Rodwell being a second line player yet, I think Lamoureux will play 2nd. Everyone has been talking about Grimaldi, but Miller and St. Clair could be just as dangerous, I agree with you there! I'll make a call right now that Dickin will be the most improved and impressive (for expectations) player for the Sioux in the 2011-2012 season.

Comment

They still have Jack Connolly, who nearly put up 60 points (he could still be going pro), and JT Brown (also a flight-risk) who was dominating towards the end of the year. He put up 37 points. Oleksuk is another returning 30+ points scorer. Losing Faulk hurt, but it was expected. If Connolly and Brown both come back, Duluth will challenge for the MacNaughton.

I just don't see Minnesota putting up big offensive numbers, especially when you factor in the high quality blueliners throughout the rest of the conference. As I said, they have the talent, but they've had the talent the last 3-4 years and haven't done much with it. What is interesting, is there will not be a player on the Gophers that has played in a NCAA Tournament game. That doesn't mean that they can't get there, but I don't see them doing it this year. Depending on early departures, I think Minnesota will be fighting for home ice.

I would have thought Gregoire would have announced if he was returning or not as well. As a huge Islanders fan, we don't really have a "need" for Gregoire, as our AHL team (Bridgeport) is pretty stocked with young talent. That being said, there is always that possibility of losing a player like Gregoire if they wait until after his senior year to sign him. We'll see what happens, but there is a strong possibility that if Gregoire signed, he would be splitting time between Kalamazoo (ECHL) and Bridgeport. I really wouldn't be surprised either way, but I am hoping that Gregoire sticks around another year. We were never supposed to get Gregoire in the first place, so I already consider his three years a bonus, but would love to see him in Kelly Green and White for one more season. We'll see.

I agree with all your points FS23, and even in the NC game, Brown was the best player on the ice hands down. He had killer speed and great vision, including the shot, etc, he's the real deal. Hell of a player. UMD will be alright.
                                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Working...
                                X