Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    Hopefully Gregoire and Hextall jump on board with the other three who have decided to stay. These guys could be a HUGE help in bringing in the freshman class this next year. Talented yes, but talent only takes you so far.
    Have a feeling the Coyotes may be having difficulties making an acceptable offer to Hextall. Coyotes may want him, but they are also strapped for cash, and Brett's dad who works in the LA kings organization, would know what a good offer looks like.

Also it may be in his best interests to push them to place all their cards on the table before he says no.
    "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
      Like how the Sioux defensive squad is shaping up for next season.
      The D should certainly be an area of strength next season
      sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

siouxinminny will be back for 2011-2012. I ain't never jumping to the NHL.
        A Fan of the UND Fighting Sioux!! Sioux the NCAA!

Comment

what do you see the sioux lines being next year? As a gopher fan I dont want to jump in here and talk trash.. but I dont see your team- even WITH gregoire coming back- being a top 5 team heading into the year. who're your goal scorers? gregoire and kristo.. grimaldi will perform as a freshman but after them your next best playmaker is brock nelson. I just dont see it.. theres no depth. and I have to say.. I like seeing ncaa players passing up pro contracts- even sioux players for the sake of the sport and the skill level in college.. but players passing up pro contracts can be a disaster for said player. I have a feeling Dell is going to regret this.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
            what do you see the sioux lines being next year? As a gopher fan I dont want to jump in here and talk trash.. but I dont see your team- even WITH gregoire coming back- being a top 5 team heading into the year. who're your goal scorers? gregoire and kristo.. grimaldi will perform as a freshman but after them your next best playmaker is brock nelson. I just dont see it.. theres no depth. and I have to say.. I like seeing ncaa players passing up pro contracts- even sioux players for the sake of the sport and the skill level in college.. but players passing up pro contracts can be a disaster for said player. I have a feeling Dell is going to regret this.
            Gregoire, Kristo, Knight all could easily put up 20+ goals. Hextall (if stays) could also big a big point man setting up those three. Brock Nelson isn't a player to overlook; he got very little playing time this year and took awhile to mature. Not to mention the freshman duo of Grimaldi and Miller could be absolutely devastating to the other team. It is going to be interesting on how it all shapes out, but watch out for big years from Gregoire (if he stays), Knight and Kristo with REALLY strong defensive play.

Comment

Corban Knight had 40+ points. We all saw how well Zucker played this year, that kind of potential is there with Grimaldi. The Sioux return the core of their defense with Blood, MacGwilliam, Forbort, etc, including the WCHA's top goaltender. I see a tough time arguing the Sioux being a preseason top 5. Guarenteed lock inside the top 10 if those two stay.
              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

As a gopher fan I dont want to jump in here and talk trash.. but I dont see your team- even WITH gregoire coming back- being a top 5 team heading into the year.
                Not top 5 in the nation? I don't disagree with you here... the Sioux lose a lot, but they had a lot, and they return their goalie and a great D. I see them as having a Denver type year next year... top 10 and dangerous with the tools to make some noise in the NCAAs.

But look at other top teams and what they have lost... Michigan - their top 3 forwards, BC - 3 of their top forwards and goalie... It's all relative... even Denver loses Shore and Maiani. Minnesota loses 4 of 5 top scorers and they couldn't score in the first place!

theres no depth.
                This was the deepest team in the country. If Gregoire and Hextal come back, they return intact a 2nd line that would have been the top line of 50 other teams last year.

but players passing up pro contracts can be a disaster for said player. I have a feeling Dell is going to regret this.
                Like who?

NHL teams aren't claimoring for their draft picks to leave UND because their development has stalled, and I don't hear players from other college teams that have left early saying they wished they had stayed in school like I hear coming out of UND.
                Panzer for Hobey.

"With one team playing at home, the audience was understandably dominated by maroon and gold sweaters. One notable exception was the fan who showed up wearing a replica of Alaska Anchorage’s bright gold third sweaters."
                INCH, March 27, 2005

Seawolf Jersey Guy is my alter ego.

Comment

If Gregoire returns, NoDak looks pretty impressive to me relative to what other teams return.
                  While NoDak will be closer to the pack next year and not have the big horses up front, there are key players at forward and solid defenseman and high-end goaltending.

So who are these top teams for 2011-12 that no one will list? In my opinion, the top two teams will be the teams that had the top recruiting classes for the 2010-11 season, Denver and Notre Dame. A lot can change, but I see the Sioux as a top five team entering next year.

1. Denver
                  2. Notre Dame
                  3. NoDak
                  4. BU
                  5. Colorado College
                  6. Wisconsin
                  7. BC
                  8. Miami
                  9. Union
                  10. UNO

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                    If Gregoire returns, NoDak looks pretty impressive to me relative to what other teams return.
                    While NoDak will be closer to the pack next year and not have the big horses up front, there are key players at forward and solid defenseman and high-end goaltending.

So who are these top teams for 2011-12 that no one will list? In my opinion, the top two teams will be the teams that had the top recruiting classes for the 2010-11 season, Denver and Notre Dame. A lot can change, but I see the Sioux as a top five team entering next year.

1. Denver
                    2. Notre Dame
                    3. NoDak
                    4. BU
                    5. Colorado College
                    6. Wisconsin
                    7. BC
                    8. Miami
                    9. Union
                    10. UNO
                    Not a bad list, but find it kind of funny the defending national champs are no where to be found. They'll be a different team but assuming Jack Connolly stays, he and JT Brown could make an impressive first line (again).

Not to sound too dramatic, but I almost feel the potential to be better next year than this year. Looking at the 09-10 stats, it wouldve been hard to say UND would have a top goaltender not named Eidsness, and that Frattin would come back and put up 60 points. Not saying more talented or anything but I'm a little more optimistic for UND in 11-12 than I was 10-11.

Comment

I would put Miami a bit higher on the list. They have an absolutely killer freshman class coming in.

As for Gregoire, I think he will be the key. Next year's team will struggle offensively, at least early on. With Kristo returning, that will help, but he has started slowly each of his first two years (somewhat expected by an underclassmen). If Gregoire comes back, he'll play a huge role early to get the Sioux on the right track. I think if he comes back, he'll be a Hobey Finalist, and has the skills to bring home the award. That being said, Gregoire didn't kill it in the first half last year, as he only had 6 goals and 7 assists in the first 16 games before getting hurt after the Notre Dame series. He did come back in the second half and dominate, putting up 19 goals and 11 assists in the final 19 games.

I'm not as optimistic for this team, as i was for last year's team, but I expect them to compete for the MacNaughton, be an NCAA Team (potentially a #1 seed), and make a run for a National Championship. What's interesting, is that in looking at the last 15 years, our "best" teams (ie. 1998-1999, 2003-2004, 2010-2011) didn't win titles, where the 1997 and 2000 teams did, with arguably less talent. That's the nature of the NCAA Tournament. Hopefully next year we get a little luck our way and can hoist #8.
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Brett Hextall has signed with the Phoenix Coyotes
                        http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...-contract.html

Sad to see him go, but I wish him the best of luck at the next level. Now we await Gregoire's decision.

Comment

Originally posted by MissSioux85 View Post
                          Brett Hextall has signed with the Phoenix Coyotes
                          http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...-contract.html

Sad to see him go, but I wish him the best of luck at the next level. Now we await Gregoire's decision.
                          It's sad to see him go, but it sounds like this is what he wanted, so I wish him well, and hope that he's playing for the Jets in the near future. It was fun to watch him in the green and white.
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Well it all makes sense and you had to have seen this one coming. It definitely sucks, but it'll get our new recruits some experience. Best to Hextall and his pro career. I see a Jets Hextall jersey coming my way in the near future!

On a different note, does anyone know what Grimaldi and Miller are likely to play next year? Could the be LW/RW players or strictly center, or who would be most likely to move?

Comment

Originally posted by gordwiser View Post
                              Not top 5 in the nation? I don't disagree with you here... the Sioux lose a lot, but they had a lot, and they return their goalie and a great D. I see them as having a Denver type year next year... top 10 and dangerous with the tools to make some noise in the NCAAs.

But look at other top teams and what they have lost... Michigan - their top 3 forwards, BC - 3 of their top forwards and goalie... It's all relative... even Denver loses Shore and Maiani. Minnesota loses 4 of 5 top scorers and they couldn't score in the first place!

This was the deepest team in the country. If Gregoire and Hextal come back, they return intact a 2nd line that would have been the top line of 50 other teams last year.

Like who?

NHL teams aren't claimoring for their draft picks to leave UND because their development has stalled, and I don't hear players from other college teams that have left early saying they wished they had stayed in school like I hear coming out of UND.
                              Drew Shore will be coming back for DU!
                              Maiani graduated and Matt Donovan left early and signed with the Islanders. At last report Jason Zucker is likely to return.
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

well zuckers dont come around every day. grimaldi has the potential- yes. but come on.. you cant tell me your expecting that. thats a best case scenario. especially when grimaldi has an issue zucker didnt- size. it MIGHT take some more time to adjust to wcha hockey than it did zucker.

as for zucker- the "reports" are he might return next year.. ok, I dont doubt it. but a word to the wise (denver fans)- the wild are likely going young this year- and everyone and their grandma is talking about 2 prospects- granlund and zucker. id agree hes probably going to denver for 1 more year- but personally id wait until october before counting my chickens. fletcher will do whatevers best for his *****. hes made that pretty clear.

Comment

Working...
                                X