University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Next year will probably be more like 2005-2006, where a relatively large number of incoming freshmen will make for growing pains in the first half of season, hopefully followed by another run at WCHA regular season and the postseason titles.

Let's assume for the moment that there's no other early departures. I think there's good reason to hope for such. First is the quality of coaching, as evidenced by the team's decision making with the puck, and how we skate without it. I've seen a bunch of NHL games in the last 2 months, and our defensive zone coverage and poise with the puck are better than a lot of what I've seen. I'm not saying we're as good as an NHL team, just that our execution of fundamental team play is exceptionally good. If you own the rights to Blood, MacWilliam, Simpson, you're probably thinking they will develop faster there than in the AHL with 80 games and limited practices or in the NHL playing 6-8 minutes a game on the 3rd pair. Similarly up front, our play along the walls, our faceoff play, our forecheck, are all evidence of significant team chemistry but also strong coaching. Last, the guys who are most likely to go up are going to get PK, PP time, clutch time and will learn how to handle. Or, maybe my heart is leading my mind here ...

In goal, most teams will kill for a tandem of Dell and Eidsness. With Goehring as volunteer assistant, and the obvious development of Dell this season, I can see UND becoming a "prime destination" for top goaltending recruits.

On defense, what's left looks a lot like what played many nights THIS season. Blood-Forbort, MacWilliam-Simpson, Gleason - [hot competition for #6 slot]. Or on the road, I could see breaking up the pairings to avoid mismatches. Come October, we'll be glad of all the ice time that Simpson & Forbort got this season.

Up front, there will clearly be multiple freshmen in the lineup most nights. That would suggest a rookie mixed in each of lines 2-3-4. I can't see splitting up Gregoire-Knight-Hextall! I'd also like to see a Kristo-Rodwell combination, because I think they would complement each other well. Should be a good balance of size and speed up front. Maybe a bit more tipped toward speed than the last couple Sioux teams.

===============
    To the WCHA:

In ranking this far ahead, one can rank teams by their goaltenders. So, I see a top tier of four teams: UNO, UND, CC, and DU. I'd tag UNO as the early favorite (barring more early departures). Deano will finally have most of the roster stacked with his recruits. I can see UNO hockey becoming a hot ticket in Omaha, with average attendance challenging UND. Any of these four could win the NCAA next season.

I see a second tier of UMD and Wisconsin. Depending on locker room chemistry and recruits, and a bounce here or there and either could win a MacNaughton.

I see a third tier of Bemidji (Serratore starting to get some WCHA recruits!), St Cloud, UAA and Minnesota. All could challenge for home ice, and any of them could win the Broadmoor with a good run, but I don't see a MacNaughton happening.

And, a fourth tier of MSU Mankato and Michigan Tech. Too many holes (Youds, Davis) and too far to seriously contend.

=================================
    Last, and also on WCHA league topics, I'd like to see a revamp of the playoff format to mirror the CCHA's. Its no coincidence that their NCAA performances have leapt forward since giving their top seeds a weeks rest. Its time for WCHA to do likewise.
    Last edited by Farce Poobah; 04-10-2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

The other prediction I'll make is that UND's women make a serious run at a national championship. After contending this season despite a short bench, with a full roster next year and some marvelous incoming talent, I can see them taking a run at the top dogs/beasts/rodents. Along the way, I wouldn't be surprised if they lead the nation in attendance; Grand Forks is first and foremost a hockey town and this brand of hockey continues to improve every season.

Comment

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
        The other prediction I'll make is that UND's women make a serious run at a national championship. After contending this season despite a short bench, with a full roster next year and some marvelous incoming talent, I can see them taking a run at the top dogs/beasts/rodents. Along the way, I wouldn't be surprised if they lead the nation in attendance; Grand Forks is first and foremost a hockey town and this brand of hockey continues to improve every season.
        While I think the women's team will be much improved next year, I think 2012-2013 will be their best shot at a national title. It would be fun to see them make a run next season though.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Nice season boys. Looking forward to next year.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
            As am I.
            Hopefully we can get more than a season or two out of him before he departs. In interviews I've seen with him, he's always talked about moving onto the NHL as quickly as he can...but with his height I would think most teams would want him to get as strong as possible before signing.

Regardless, I'm excited to watch him next season as well.
            the kid should be an absolute joy to watch, great vision and speed.

I definitely was disappointed, just like the team and all of its fans at the end of this season, but now this week we can reflect on how great the season actually was. there's 10 other WCHA teams that would've loved to accomplish all that the Sioux did this year. Hopefully playing with the senior class this year will help Blood and Gregoire want to stay here, etc, as they came so close but didn't "drink from the cup."

I'm so excited for next season, my first season as a season ticket holder!
            AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

If Gregoire stays UND should be pretty strong even early in the season. If he leaves it may take until christmas or so. There is still a lot of talent on the roster. Should be another reloading year!

Comment

I will be thankful FOR a season next year. The nickname controversy is clearly not over and could lead to some real pain. Much is to be decided and I remain hopeful that the NCAA trip to the North Dakota leads to a positive resolution.

Comment

I forgot to ask earlier, does anyone know a place that will put names and numbers on sioux jerseys to be exactly how the sioux jerseys are? I have a black nike that I want to put TOEWS, #9, and the A on, and a green reebok that I want to put my name and number on. Just curious if there's a good place to do this, if there's any good pictures showing the back of the jerseys, what those fonts are on the jerseys, etc. Thanks, it's much appreciated!
                  AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    I forgot to ask earlier, does anyone know a place that will put names and numbers on sioux jerseys to be exactly how the sioux jerseys are? I have a black nike that I want to put TOEWS, #9, and the A on, and a green reebok that I want to put my name and number on. Just curious if there's a good place to do this, if there's any good pictures showing the back of the jerseys, what those fonts are on the jerseys, etc. Thanks, it's much appreciated!
                    The Sioux Shop at The Ralph can send out jerseys for customization. I have not seen the finished product firsthand, but I would bet that it would look just like the jerseys the players wear.

Comment

Where do you guys findinfo on the new recruits? I know nothing about Grimaldi, except he has a great hockey name!
                      "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." Bilbo Baggins

Comment

Lee's Pro Shop is where jerseys were sent when they used Nike. Depending on whether your black jersey is the regular jersey or the swift, you may have problems. If it's the regular jersey and you want it exactly right, you may have to request they use glacier twill numbers as they didn't do this on the one authentic Nike jersey I sent them. Alternatively you could talk to River City Sports up in Winnipeg. Though I've never used them, I'm sure they'll do it exactly as you requested.

When I bought my Reebok jersey this year, it was sent directly to Reebok. I don't know what that address is though. You may have to call the Sioux Shop.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by MissSioux85 View Post
                          The Sioux Shop at The Ralph can send out jerseys for customization. I have not seen the finished product firsthand, but I would bet that it would look just like the jerseys the players wear.
                          Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                          Lee's Pro Shop is where jerseys were sent when they used Nike. Depending on whether your black jersey is the regular jersey or the swift, you may have problems. If it's the regular jersey and you want it exactly right, you may have to request they use glacier twill numbers as they didn't do this on the one authentic Nike jersey I sent them. Alternatively you could talk to River City Sports up in Winnipeg. Though I've never used them, I'm sure they'll do it exactly as you requested.

When I bought my Reebok jersey this year, it was sent directly to Reebok. I don't know what that address is though. You may have to call the Sioux Shop.
                          Thanks for the help guys! it's something i need to get done, i'll look into it and let everyone know what ends up happeneing just for future reference for everyone.

FWIW Dirty, it's not the swift it's the nike black authentic, which would use that glacier writing.
                          AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                            Before or after Rau meets Ben Blood?
                            Can't wait till he meets incomming recruit Andrew Panzarella. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wxwd5Ixr64
                            http://www.ushl.com/news/story.cfm?id=3739

Is 654 penalty minutes a lot?
                            http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...&seasonid=2211
                            "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

I'm very cautiously optimistic for next year.

And slightly pessimistic
                              Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                                Can't wait till he meets incomming recruit Andrew Panzarella. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wxwd5Ixr64
                                http://www.ushl.com/news/story.cfm?id=3739

Is 654 penalty minutes a lot?
                                http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...&seasonid=2211
                                haha. actually i cant deny that was a sweet fight. but ambroz might take exeption to that..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dD9A...eature=related

Comment

Working...
                                X