Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

    Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
    This loss has got to be one of the biggest if not the biggest college hockey upsets of all time.
    It was an upset, and UND did control play. But calling it one of the biggest college hockey upsets of all time is a HUGE over statement. Michigan was the CCHA regular season champs and a #2 seed. We have had multiple #4 seeds upset #1 seeds in recent years, all of which would be larger upsets. Michigan over UND wasn't even the biggest upset of this year's tourney, I would have to give that nod to CC over BC.

    I would also call the DU win over UND in the regionals in 2004 a bigger upset.
    sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

      Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
      It was an upset, and UND did control play. But calling it one of the biggest college hockey upsets of all time is a HUGE over statement. Michigan was the CCHA regular season champs and a #2 seed. We have had multiple #4 seeds upset #1 seeds in recent years, all of which would be larger upsets. Michigan over UND wasn't even the biggest upset of this year's tourney, I would have to give that nod to CC over BC.

      I would also call the DU win over UND in the regionals in 2004 a bigger upset.
      Based on, on ice game day performance, not a huge overstatement. Sioux dominated most of the game and had a scoring attempt advantage of something like 20 to 7. Rarely do we ever see a team that puts up such a dominating performance ever lose.

      CC outplayed BC much of the game so there was no real upset there.

      As far as the 2004 DU win over UND I doubt that the the gameday statistics were as lopsided as the 40-20 shot advantage in the UND Mich. game.
      Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 04-17-2011, 11:11 PM.
      "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

        Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
        Based on, on ice game day performance, not a huge overstatement. Sioux dominated most of the game and had a scoring attempt advantage of something like 20 to 7. Rarely do we ever see a team that puts up such a dominating performance ever lose.

        CC outplayed BC much of the game so there was no real upset there.

        As far as the 2004 DU win over UND I doubt that the the gameday statistics were as lopsided as the 40-20 shot advantage in the UND Mich. game.
        Most people view an upset as a game where the final result doesn't match up with the pregame expectations. UND was expected to beat Michigan, therefore Michigan's win was an upset. But Michigan was no slouch of an opponent, and the fact they won wasn't exactly completely unexpected. Almost everyone prior to the game certainly gave Michigan a decent chance of winning. They were the CCHA regular season champions, they very much belonged in the NCAA tourney.

        CC over BC was a huge upset. Going into that game, most people didn't give CC much of a chance. BC had the far better team last year, and a CC win by a single point would have been a major upset. The fact that CC dominated the game just made it all the more shocking.

        In the 2003-2004 season, UND went 3-0-1 against DU, outscoring the Pios 21-6 over the season. UND won the WCHA regular season with 43 points, Denver finished 4th with 31 points. DU didn't even make the WCHA F5, they were swept by CC at home in the league playoffs. UND was clearly the better team, and DU wasn't expect to be a major challenge for the Sioux in the regional final. That game was a much bigger upset than this year's UND-Michigan game.
        sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
          Most people view an upset as a game where the final result doesn't match up with the pregame expectations. UND was expected to beat Michigan, therefore Michigan's win was an upset. But Michigan was no slouch of an opponent, and the fact they won wasn't exactly completely unexpected. Almost everyone prior to the game certainly gave Michigan a decent chance of winning. They were the CCHA regular season champions, they very much belonged in the NCAA tourney.

          CC over BC was a huge upset. Going into that game, most people didn't give CC much of a chance. BC had the far better team last year, and a CC win by a single point would have been a major upset. The fact that CC dominated the game just made it all the more shocking.

          In the 2003-2004 season, UND went 3-0-1 against DU, outscoring the Pios 21-6 over the season. UND won the WCHA regular season with 43 points, Denver finished 4th with 31 points. DU didn't even make the WCHA F5, they were swept by CC at home in the league playoffs. UND was clearly the better team, and DU wasn't expect to be a major challenge for the Sioux in the regional final. That game was a much bigger upset than this year's UND-Michigan game.
          agree with you there, eric. good to see you around these parts! hopefully we'll see you around more frequently! hope all is well with the teaching! (and your lawn)
          AF 99

          M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

            It was an overstatement. Michigan and UND are 2 of the premier programs in the country. If they meet in the semi-final game it is not one of the biggest upsets in history. It was an upset, a mild one. Michigan played pretty much the way they had to in order to get the win and they did. Their PK was amazing and their goalie played very well. It's not like the Michigan players are a bunch of bums.

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

              Originally posted by lord k View Post
              It was an overstatement. Michigan and UND are 2 of the premier programs in the country. If they meet in the semi-final game it is not one of the biggest upsets in history. It was an upset, a mild one. Michigan played pretty much the way they had to in order to get the win and they did. Their PK was amazing and their goalie played very well. It's not like the Michigan players are a bunch of bums.
              Cripes. Not an overstatement. Another person that missed my point entirely. My point is that when looking at game day statistics and game day performance ONLY this was one of the biggest upsets ever. Michigan got outshot 40-20. Sioux had many more high quality scoring chances, controlled the puck much more, and the Sioux also had an excellent goalie in net. Goalies allowed only one goal the entire game. Based on game day performance Michigan was extremely LUCKY to win this game.

              Statistically, based on game day performance ONLY, (excluding team histories and season records) this was a bigger upset than the 2006 Holy Cross win against Minnesota. http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...s-vs-minnesota In the Holy Cross game the Minnesota SOG advantage was only 38-28.
              Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 04-18-2011, 12:56 PM.
              "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                Cripes. Not an overstatement. Another person that missed my point entirely. My point is that when looking at game day statistics and game day performance ONLY this was one of the biggest upsets ever. Michigan got outshot 40-20. Sioux had many more high quality scoring chances, controlled the puck much more, and the Sioux also had an excellent goalie in net. Goalies allowed only one goal the entire game. Based on game day performance Michigan was extremely LUCKY to win this game.

                Statistically, based on game day performance ONLY, (excluding team histories and season records) this was a bigger upset than the 2006 Holy Cross win against Minnesota. http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...s-vs-minnesota In the Holy Cross game the Minnesota SOG advantage was only 38-28.
                And you've missed the point of what constitutes an upset. Here is the definition of an upset in a sporting situation - "An unexpected victory of a competitor that was not favored., or when a higher-seeded (better) team loses to a lower-seeded (inferior) one."

                Note that there is nothing in that definition about one team outplaying the other but still losing.
                sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                  Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                  This loss has got to be one of the biggest if not the biggest college hockey upsets of all time.
                  The purpose of my blog was not to characterize Michigan's win as a big upset, but to point out that it wasn't the result of UND being unprepared, outplayed, outworked or outcoached, as some have maintained. Certainly, it was an upset from the standpoint that the team favored to win the game and expected to win the tournament lost.

                  Michigan plays in a strong conference, had a lot of seniors, had a lot of NHL draft picks, had a good season, recruits high-level talent, is well-coached and is a perennial playoff team. There's no way I would put it in the same class as Minnesota's loss to Holy Cross.
                  Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                    lets hope that Dell doesn't get the junior year blues like Eids did this year... Go Sioux!
                    linky

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                      I agree. In the sports definition of an upset this was not a big upset.

                      And thank you for the information PCM it was very enlightening.

                      I was very surprised at the differences in the statistics that it occurred to me that this was indeed no ordinary loss. That this was a somewhat rare statistical anomaly. It is very unusual to see a team put up such a dominating effort and still lose.

                      I do not recall a game in DI ice hockey post season play where there was such a high differential in major stats such as attempted shots, SOG, and scoring chances where the team with the better stats lost the game. In games we normally consider as as major upsets the stats pale in comparison. In past games that we consider major upsets such as Holy Cross v Minnesots in 2006, and Yale v UND in 2010 the statistics were not this lopsided in favor of the losing team.

                      I recall a few high school games and a few pro games where the goaltender basically stole a game.

                      Anyone recall another DI postseason game where a team with twice as many shots on goal still lost the game?
                      "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                        Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                        Someone just posted on Sioux Sports that Hextall has signed - can anyone confirm?
                        Keep checking the Coyotes website. No news yet.

                        http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/player.h...720&view=stats
                        "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                          Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                          Anyone recall another DI postseason game where a team with twice as many shots on goal still lost the game?
                          Oh my, yes. Even more than three times as many, and it involved Michigan as well.
                          http://www.collegehockeystats.net/08...s/mafamic1.m27

                          Michigan outshot Air Force 43-13, but lost the game 2-0. I don't think any Michigan fan wasn't instantly reminded of that game after the semifinal game this year.

                          "The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

                          --The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                            Originally posted by Alton View Post
                            Oh my, yes. Even more than three times as many, and it involved Michigan as well.
                            http://www.collegehockeystats.net/08...s/mafamic1.m27

                            Michigan outshot Air Force 43-13, but lost the game 2-0. I don't think any Michigan fan wasn't instantly reminded of that game after the semifinal game this year.
                            Thanks for the info.
                            Michigan's goaltending seems to have improved slightly since that AF game.
                            "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                              Originally posted by PhatKroger10 View Post
                              Honestly, I appreciate the time and effort and everything Hextall's given UND, but I couldn't imagine him being an integral part of our team next year anyways. I think it is the right decision for both parties.
                              Are you freaking serious? Hextall would have a HUGE part of our team next year. He probably would be captain. (Him or Gregoire, should Jason return). You don't lose four senior forwards and have a guy like Hexy not play a large role. He has been a top 2-line guy every year he's been here and would be next year if he returned too. Potentially returning the entire Gregoire-Knight-Hexy line would be huge considering the loss of the Pony Express. I don't know if it will happen. But the rumors about Hexy signing have been going on for a week now. And still nothing...

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                                Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                                lets hope that Dell doesn't get the junior year blues like Eids did this year... Go Sioux!
                                linky
                                That is good news for the Sioux. It will be interesting to see if he made the right decision. It has to be tough for a goalie to turn down the $, especially when they are undrafted.
                                Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
                                Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X