Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    Brock Nelson looks like a very improved player.
    He's going to have a monster year, especially if that Knight/Kristo/Nelson line stays together. They looked good.

A couple of the freshmen have good speed and played well. Mattson looks good on defense.
    Insert Grimaldi on that 2nd line and we're golden.
    It will be interesting to see if Hak leaves that line together. It will be a very good line if he does, but we won't have much behind it.

I was also impressed with Mattson on defense. He looked pretty poised with the puck most of the time. I also thought it looked like Ben Blood is more willing to assert himself offensively by rushing the puck. He and Mac stood out on the blueline, as you'd expect.

Didn't really see much out of the rest of the forwards. I had hoped to see Carter Rowney dominating like I think he can. Thought Taylor Dickin showed he still likes to get his nose dirty in front of the net.

Overall, about what you'd expect from this exhibition. The competition figures to be substantially better these next couple of months.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
      Brock Nelson looks like a very improved player.
      He's going to have a monster year, especially if that Knight/Kristo/Nelson line stays together. They looked good.

A couple of the freshmen have good speed and played well. Mattson looks good on defense.
      Insert Grimaldi on that 2nd line and we're golden.
      Gotta love Grimaldi! Let's get this thing going! It's Hockey Season!!!
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
        I know he's graduated, but I'm surprised there's no chatter about Frattin's shot with the Leafs.
        Frattin recently mentioned that he feels he really hasn't quite made the team yet (one forward is on injured reserve and another was suspended 2 games). But Frattin was excited to see a jersey in a stall with his name after the final cuts were made, and to not have to talk to the coach.

Some fans that watched him in the preseason not only feel that he will make the team but feel he could move up to their 2nd line maybe, after all, in the preseason he was tied for 2nd in points for the Leafs.

I remember at the beginning of preseason most Leafs fans assumed that Frattin needed to be sent down for further development to the AHL because of a Canadian bias to the CHL. Arguments like: 1) colleges can't develop players like the CHL can; and 2) he needs experience playing against men in a more physical league before playing in the NHL. He is definitely proving the doubters wrong, mostly because he hasn't done anything wrong to upset the coaches and fans, and because doesn't look out of place playing against NHLers. He looks like he belongs in the NHL.
        Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 10-03-2011, 10:36 PM.
        "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Wow, I had to really dig to find this thread! No talk at all about the weekend? It was good to see the team get their first win of the season against AF, but they looked completely outclassed against BC. It is a young team and they have time to build and improve, but Hak and crew have some work to do this year.
          sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

It is officially dead in here.
            sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
              It is officially dead in here.
              Yeah, it sure is. This weekend is an important one for the Sioux. Non-conference wins are crucial to our Pairwise Ranking come March, and it would be nice to see an improved defensive effort. Hopefully our freshmen can get a little bit more comfortable as well. Hoping for two wins, but realistically a split is most likely. Should be a fun weekend though.
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                Yeah, it sure is. This weekend is an important one for the Sioux. Non-conference wins are crucial to our Pairwise Ranking come March, and it would be nice to see an improved defensive effort. Hopefully our freshmen can get a little bit more comfortable as well. Hoping for two wins, but realistically a split is most likely. Should be a fun weekend though.
                After all the early season speculation about UND not being able to produce points I think last weekend was a nice step back from that ledge after tSioux put up 6 tallies against solid competition. I believe Saturday night's game would have produced more scoring if they had played a bit more composed in the defensive zone (not just the d-men but the Fs and Dell). Maine pounded UND last year but they were also whistled for penalties like checking, passing, and carrying the puck too quickly which I don't see happening this weekend. Also, with the exception of Mario and Nelson no one has quite grasped the "reckless abandon" style play our fanbase has become accustomed to watching.
                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  A sweep this weekend would be absolutely huge for this young team. The confidence that can be gained off a good non conference sweep is crucial.

I think they have a decent chance two win twice this weekend IF they're more disciplined in their own zone.
                  AF 99

Comment

Hey guys should be a good weekend of hockey. How's the team looking?
                    Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                      Hey guys should be a good weekend of hockey. How's the team looking?
                      young

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                        young
                        This was literally the one word post I was going to respond to that post.
                        AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                          young
                          haha alright. well hopefully maine can repeat what they did last year in Orono.
                          Curse of the Timmy

Comment

• Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                            Dear God I hope not..
                            AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                              In all seriousness, our defense was supposed to be a strong point early on in the season so our offense could get some experience but it was that defense that I was most disappointed in this last weekend. I do not believe the Sioux will have many problems at goal with Dell and Eids but of course that depends on getting the defense sorted out. The team is young and it will take a while to get things going offensively the way Hak wants them to but the first line of Knight, Kristo and Nelson could turn out to be one of the best in D1 hockey (more than likely this line will not stay intact though).

So... lets hear the goods on Maine.

Comment

• Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                                In all seriousness, our defense was supposed to be a strong point early on in the season so our offense could get some experience but it was that defense that I was most disappointed in this last weekend. I do not believe the Sioux will have many problems at goal with Dell and Eids but of course that depends on getting the defense sorted out. The team is young and it will take a while to get things going offensively the way Hak wants them to but the first line of Knight, Kristo and Nelson could turn out to be one of the best in D1 hockey (more than likely this line will not stay intact though).

So... lets hear the goods on Maine.
                                Grimaldi is gonna make a push to get on that top line, he's got some serious talent. I love the way that kid plays!
                                AF 99

Comment

Working...
                                X