• MavHockey14
    replied
    Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

I'm nervous....

Leave a comment:

• lord k
    replied

I know we don't have any depth so to say if someone gets injured but at this point in the season we are showing some depth as far as all lines are scoring. Our D is very skilled across the board and the goalies have been playing well.
    I think if they can play like they did against Denver they will be very hard to beat.(obviously if they can score 5 in a period ala the Minnesota game that would be great but not very realistic.) Against Denver they were in control the whole time. They took very few penalties and capitalized on special teams.

It will come down to Goaltending, killing the few penalties they take per game, and scoring at least 1 powerplay goal in each game. Obviously they need to keep playing hard 5 on 5.

This is a tough region but UND is playing their best hockey at the right time.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Pretty funny when you consider that UND's entire roster, other than the top line of Kristo, Knight and Nelson, had fewer career college goals coming into this season than defenseman Justin Schultz scored these past two years. Throw in a handful of walk-ons, mix in a bunch of nickname b.s., bake for 6 months, and presto, a Broadmoor.

Here's what worries me a bit, though.

I've been pretty convinced most of the year that the WCHA is weak. Our teams got manhandled pretty good in most non-conference action, with occasional success here and there.

Sometimes when you spend 3 months playing only each other, the closeness of the competition masks this overall deficiency.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe UND is the 4th best team in the country right now, just like I don't believe Union is the 3rd best or Yale was a top seed last year.

I don't see us rolling through this region like we did last year. Minnesota probably has the best chance to make Tampa, just playing at home and with a lot of revenge on their minds, although I wouldn't discount W. Michigan or BU. I wouldn't be surprised to see a reprise of 1999 when no WCHA teams made the Frozen Four.
    I tend to agree that the WCHA is probably weaker than normal (definitely a solid 3rd out of the "Big 4"). That being said, I think either Minnesota or North Dakota comes out of this regional. While North Dakota is probably the most consistent team in the group, they also probably have the least amount of pure talent and depth in the group, so they are susceptible. Minnesota has loads of talent and depth, but get inconsistency from game to game, or, as we saw last Friday, from period to period. BU has a strong group, and has plenty of talent, but they struggled coming down the stretch going 8-8 in their last 16 games. Western has been playing well of late, but has been streaky throughout the season, and it is more of a question of will a cold streak start for the Broncos, or will their hot streak continue.

As is pretty obvious, I think just about any team can come out of this regional, but I would give the advantage to Minnesota as they have the most talent, the revenge factor, and are playing in their home city. I would put North Dakota 2nd most likely, as they are the most consistent bunch, and they have the pieces of a team that is difficult to play in the playoffs in that they have solid goaltending and strong defense. Given that, I would put the odds that Minnesota or North Dakota advance at about 60-65%...so just a slight preponderance. Anything can happen at this point in the season, and I'm really just glad North Dakota is in the tournament.

My expectations for this team were to get home ice, make the Final Five, and make the NCAA Tournament. They have accomplished those three things despite the obvious hurdles that they encountered. The rest of this season is just gravy for me...but it would sure be nice if North Dakota made their way to Tampa so I could see them play in person one more time this season.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
    No Gregoire.
    No Hextall.
    No St Clair.
    No Miller.
    No Rodwell.
    No O'Donnell.
    No Grimaldi.
    No Dickin.

No Problem.
    Pretty funny when you consider that UND's entire roster, other than the top line of Kristo, Knight and Nelson, had fewer career college goals coming into this season than defenseman Justin Schultz scored these past two years. Throw in a handful of walk-ons, mix in a bunch of nickname b.s., bake for 6 months, and presto, a Broadmoor.

Here's what worries me a bit, though.

I've been pretty convinced most of the year that the WCHA is weak. Our teams got manhandled pretty good in most non-conference action, with occasional success here and there.

Sometimes when you spend 3 months playing only each other, the closeness of the competition masks this overall deficiency.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe UND is the 4th best team in the country right now, just like I don't believe Union is the 3rd best or Yale was a top seed last year.

I don't see us rolling through this region like we did last year. Minnesota probably has the best chance to make Tampa, just playing at home and with a lot of revenge on their minds, although I wouldn't discount W. Michigan or BU. I wouldn't be surprised to see a reprise of 1999 when no WCHA teams made the Frozen Four.

Leave a comment:

• darker98
    replied
    Originally posted by icelund View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the Sioux Shop will do it for you with the lettering that they use on the rest of their jerseys.
    If remember correctly the Sioux shop sends out jerseys when you ask for letters.

Leave a comment:

• icelund
    replied

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    I'm in the process of getting the Toews #9 A on my black nike jersey, but I don't know exactly who to have do it for me.
    I'm pretty sure that the Sioux Shop will do it for you with the lettering that they use on the rest of their jerseys.

Leave a comment:

• MavHockey14
    replied

Originally posted by icelund View Post
    My only concern at this point is whether to leave my latest (last?) blank or have a Sioux-alum put on the back. I'm thinking Toews (I can wear it as a Chicago fan), but Genoway would be a nice one to end on. Could go waaaay back and slap "Hoogsteen" on it. We'll see
    I'm in the process of getting the Toews #9 A on my black nike jersey, but I don't know exactly who to have do it for me.

Leave a comment:

• icelund
    replied

Jerseys? Do it for love, not money.
    My only concern at this point is whether to leave my latest (last?) blank or have a Sioux-alum put on the back. I'm thinking Toews (I can wear it as a Chicago fan), but Genoway would be a nice one to end on. Could go waaaay back and slap "Hoogsteen" on it. We'll see

Leave a comment:

• MavHockey14
    replied

No I know, I have zero intentions of selling any of my hockey collections of anything. I guess I meant more in terms of, "I have a jersey from back in 2012, this things worth xxxx and I am still proud to have it. Talking to my dad about this, he even said, "I know you're not going to sell it anyways.." I guess more or less is do I want this piece of history at $250. I have the "Premier" green jersey, but wanted to get the black authentic. I just am torn, as they have the WCHA patch, which will be done in a year, and also don't have a clue of the jerseys will continue or not.

Leave a comment:

• Farce Poobah
    replied

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    I just hope this continues.

So...do I buy an authentic black jersey now or wait and see? Someday these jerseys with the Sioux head will be worth a lot of money...do you really think they're going to be done for good?

Leave a comment:

• MavHockey14
    replied

No Gregoire.
    No Hextall.
    No St Clair.
    No Miller.
    No Rodwell.
    No O'Donnell.
    No Grimaldi.
    No Dickin.

No Problem.
    I just hope this continues.

So...do I buy an authentic black jersey now or wait and see? Someday these jerseys with the Sioux head will be worth a lot of money...do you really think they're going to be done for good?

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaNorthStar
    replied

Originally posted by PCM View Post
    Whadahya mean "No Miller"? I've been around all season!
    What? I thought I heard you went to the QMJHL?!?!?!

Leave a comment:

• PCM
    replied

Whadahya mean "No Miller"? I've been around all season!

Leave a comment:

• Farce Poobah
    replied

No Gregoire.
    No Hextall.
    No St Clair.
    No Miller.
    No Rodwell.
    No O'Donnell.
    No Grimaldi.
    No Dickin.

No Problem.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Tonight's game could very well be the very last wearing the Fighting Sioux jersey. Hopefully the boys give it a proper send off with a Final Five Championship victory.

This season has been a crazy run, and was typified in the game last night. The Sioux struggled early, but thanks to a timeout and a "second half surge" North Dakota dominated the Gophers and find themselves in the title game against arch-rival Denver. Hopefully the excitement of the second half is only beginning, and it would be nice if the Sioux could bring home a couple more trophies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X