Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

    Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
    With NHL draft at the X in just a couple weeks, any Sioux fans planning on attending?

    Sounds like an opportunity to meet some of the players and their families. Would be awsome if the UND pep band was in the building to play the Fight Song everytime a Sioux player gets drafted.


    Would they play "Fight on Sioux" when a non-Sioux player gets drafted? Perhaps the students will make the trek down and sieve when goalies are selected?
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

    Comment


    • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

      I havent been following the legal news lately, does anyone know if the team will be wearing alternate jerseys for the post-season, if so when do you think they would be announced/released for sale

      Comment


      • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

        Originally posted by 7&7 View Post
        I havent been following the legal news lately, does anyone know if the team will be wearing alternate jerseys for the post-season, if so when do you think they would be announced/released for sale
        If the University of North Dakota makes it to post season, I'm wearing my Fighting Sioux jersey.
        And chanting "Lets Go Sioux" incessantly.

        Comment


        • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

          Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
          With NHL draft at the X in just a couple weeks, any Sioux fans planning on attending?
          A friend and I plan to attend. Can't pass up free tickets and the opportunity to watch future Sioux get drafted.

          Originally posted by 7&7 View Post
          I havent been following the legal news lately, does anyone know if the team will be wearing alternate jerseys for the post-season, if so when do you think they would be announced/released for sale
          According to Brad Schlossman, the UND Athletic Department has a non-Sioux design ready for next season. No word on when the new jersey might be unveiled.

          Comment


          • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

            Originally posted by 7&7 View Post
            I havent been following the legal news lately, does anyone know if the team will be wearing alternate jerseys for the post-season, if so when do you think they would be announced/released for sale
            Here is an article from today's Herald. It makes me think that there was some coaching on the language.
            http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/206310
            Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

            Comment


            • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

              This whole issue has come to a point, at least for me, where, yeah, it's sad to see the name and logo in a point where it is now, but you have to just do what's best for the student athletes. Hockey isn't the only sport at UND (), and we're already seeing issues potentially with getting rivals on the schedule once the BT rolls out. It's hard to imagine UND without the Fighting Sioux name and logo, but at risk of losing out on the Big Sky for the other sports (not necessarily a conference I like them in), maybe it is something to consider. Granted, the Big Sky may have been coached a bit, or a lot, but to get into a conference like that is not something that comes around every day.

              Enough of that. The team/school will always be Fighting Sioux and I will always where Fighting Sioux stuff to games.
              THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

              National Championships:
              1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

              WCHA Regular Season Championships:
              1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

              Fan of:
              University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
              University of Oregon Ducks Football
              San Francisco Giants
              Chicago Blackhawks

              Comment


              • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                Originally posted by Roben View Post
                This whole issue has come to a point, at least for me, where, yeah, it's sad to see the name and logo in a point where it is now, but you have to just do what's best for the student athletes. Hockey isn't the only sport at UND (), and we're already seeing issues potentially with getting rivals on the schedule once the BT rolls out. It's hard to imagine UND without the Fighting Sioux name and logo, but at risk of losing out on the Big Sky for the other sports (not necessarily a conference I like them in), maybe it is something to consider. Granted, the Big Sky may have been coached a bit, or a lot, but to get into a conference like that is not something that comes around every day.

                Enough of that. The team/school will always be Fighting Sioux and I will always where Fighting Sioux stuff to games.
                For the most part, I agree. IMO they should remove the logo/nickname until they get both tribes approval, at which point they would satisfy the NCAA's requirements. In the meantime, they can be just the University of North Dakota. If after x years they do not get tribal approval, or one of the tribes votes against usage of the name, then move on to something else, but that would at least give those who love the name some time before something new comes along (if it were to get to that point).
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

                Comment


                • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                  Originally posted by Roben View Post
                  Enough of that. The team/school will always be Fighting Sioux and I will always where Fighting Sioux stuff to games.
                  Especially to hockey games.

                  Teams in other sports could wear neutral "North Dakota" stuff to away games, especially if the away school feels there is a legitimate concern, but the Hockey team should always wear Sioux sweaters. IMO the hockey team/program has earned the right to wear Sioux sweaters. In hockey any team that does not want to play against the Fighting Sioux is hurting their own program.
                  "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

                  Comment


                  • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                    I know that the NC$$ is a private organization and make their own rules, but couldn't the Spirit Lake Sioux sue for discrimmination?
                    "My greatest achievement."
                    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

                    I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

                    Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

                    Comment


                    • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                      Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                      I know that the NC$$ is a private organization and make their own rules, but couldn't the Spirit Lake Sioux sue for discrimmination?
                      This is America you can sue for everything and anything!!! Its the way we roll!!!
                      Fighting Sioux Hockey

                      Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

                      Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

                      Comment


                      • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                        Originally posted by jdr1 View Post
                        This is America you can sue for everything and anything!!! Its the way we roll!!!
                        Well according to the settlement we are screwed. Drop the name and then have Spirit Lake give us the ok to use Spirit Lake Sioux. Then Help fund their battle with the NC$$ if they oppose the wishes of a sovereign nation.
                        "My greatest achievement."
                        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

                        I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

                        Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

                        Comment


                        • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                          The Agent for Social Change has this on their web page:

                          NCAA statement on North Dakota mascot issue

                          The NCAA’s Native American mascot policy remains in effect, and we stand ready to assist the University of North Dakota with its implementation of the policy.

                          The Big Sky Conference’s position related to the university's Fighting Sioux nickname and logo is consistent with the spirit and intent of the settlement agreement the NCAA reached with the university to retire the nickname and logo.

                          We have made clear to both the conference and the university that the NCAA has no intention of changing its position.

                          If the University of North Dakota continues to use the nickname and logo past the August 15 deadline due to state law, it will be subject to the parameters of the policy. This means the university could not host any championships or use the nickname and logo at any championship events.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                          ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

                          Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                          I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                          Comment


                          • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                            So, JT Miller goes to the Rangers at #15, and Grimaldi slips out of the First Round, but picked up by Florida at #33 overall.

                            Miller also made a very strong statement about playing at North Dakota, perhaps quashing the rumors that he would go the Major Junior route.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

                            Comment


                            • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                              Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                              Especially to hockey games.

                              Teams in other sports could wear neutral "North Dakota" stuff to away games, especially if the away school feels there is a legitimate concern, but the Hockey team should always wear Sioux sweaters. IMO the hockey team/program has earned the right to wear Sioux sweaters. In hockey any team that does not want to play against the Fighting Sioux is hurting their own program.
                              You could be like RPI which has "Red Hawks" (gag!) for all the sports except football and hockey where they retained "Engineers".
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                              ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

                              Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                              I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                              Comment


                              • Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

                                Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                You could be like RPI which has "Red Hawks" (gag!) for all the sports except football and hockey where they retained "Engineers".
                                We dumped the chicken a couple years ago. Every sport uses the "Engineers" name.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X