• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gphrpkhead
    replied
    Re: University of North Dakota Hockey: 2011-2012

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Well, if the season ended now UND isn't even close to making the NCAA's, and there isn't going to be any committee to save their bacon. If they want to make the NCAA's, I think they'll probably need to sweep their 3 remaining non-conference games, go something like 8-6 minimum in the second half of conference play, win their first round series at home, and maybe win a game or two at the Final Five.

As for Minnesota, my post wasn't intended as a slight of the gophers. They've certainly exceeded most people's expectations this first half, and have played pretty well. They're not going to have a seventh place finish/miss the Final Five type of season.

But that said, I do believe Duluth has shown they are the best team in the conference, notwithstanding that opening weekend sweep by Minnesota.

I think DU will finish 2nd, followed by a cluster of teams I expect to include Minnesota, CC and UNO. If I had to predict right now, I'd guess MN finishes tied for 3rd, right behind DU and UMD. That'll get them in the tournament, but I don't seem them as a top 3-4 team in the country right now. Just my 2 cents.
    I agree. I think DU may be a bit overrated, but you can always say that about any number of teams. No doubt, UMD is playing the best hockey in the WCHA/country right now. The sweep by MN looks like it may have been a wake-up call and UMD was definitely in both of those games. If anything, Reiter has responded with one of the best first halves in college hockey. CC is one of those teams that is hard to figure out and you can never count a team out that is led by Dean Blais. All in all (especially the rebirth of MT) this has been a pretty interesting first half of the season. Other than UAA (and even they are throwing in their occassional upset victory) and MSU-M, I don't think anyone else is playing terrible hockey. It is cliche, but for one or two bounces of the puck........who knows. I am going to miss the WCHA and it's year to year parity.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

Originally posted by Gphrpkhead View Post
    As a Gopher fan, I certainly would not expect you to put them in the mix, but.....

I think you have would have to agree that Notre Dame is a team to look out for come playoff time.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. North Dakota for years has been known to have an extremely physical style of play (that's why all of us Gopher fans get unglued right? ). When this team becomes a physical presence and continues getting the solid goaltending Dell has provided in the last 5 weeks, this team should finish with home ice advantage. Then it is anyones guess what will happen come WCHA Final Five time. ND right now would need to have the committee select them (and it is December and ND is a second half team....I know.....I know). So I think it will be key for them to finish with home ice and have a good performance in the FF. If so....then we might be talking about another hot ND team. Bang some bodies and establish your game. Probably what Hakstol has been trying to preach all year.
    Well, if the season ended now UND isn't even close to making the NCAA's, and there isn't going to be any committee to save their bacon. If they want to make the NCAA's, I think they'll probably need to sweep their 3 remaining non-conference games, go something like 8-6 minimum in the second half of conference play, win their first round series at home, and maybe win a game or two at the Final Five.

As for Minnesota, my post wasn't intended as a slight of the gophers. They've certainly exceeded most people's expectations this first half, and have played pretty well. They're not going to have a seventh place finish/miss the Final Five type of season.

But that said, I do believe Duluth has shown they are the best team in the conference, notwithstanding that opening weekend sweep by Minnesota.

I think DU will finish 2nd, followed by a cluster of teams I expect to include Minnesota, CC and UNO. If I had to predict right now, I'd guess MN finishes tied for 3rd, right behind DU and UMD. That'll get them in the tournament, but I don't seem them as a top 3-4 team in the country right now. Just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• Gphrpkhead
    replied

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    And with that, we end the first half of the season. I see the exhibition game next weekend as nothing more than a chance for some of the new kids to see some ice time, and more particularily, special teams time.

I guess the team finished about where I thought they would, sitting in the 5-6 position, fighting for home ice. It's a position I think we'll see them in during most of the second half.

I did not foresee the big hole they'd have to climb out of beginning in late November. But credit to the coaching staff and players for at least putting themselves in a position where a good second half will land them in the dance.

I would say my keys for the second half would be as follows.

1. Regain our health. We've started to see some guys banged up in the last 4-6 weeks, and more importantly, key guys. The break comes at a good time for us. We're going to need guys like Rocco, Corban, etc..., in the line up every night if we hope to make a run.

2. Continued improvement from the 4-5 freshmen who have seen a lot of ice time. O'Donnell, MacMillan, Parks, and Gaarder have provided some enthusiasm and are starting to show they can play in the league. It will really help if we can see a couple of those guys pop 8 goals or so during the second half.

3. Aaron Dell will have to play the way he has for the past month and a half. He's been terrific. We're going to lose some of those 1-0 and 2-1 games just because we aren't that deep offensively. But we've been in every game these past 5-6 weeks and it's primarily been due to Aaron.

4. I would really like to see the team play more physical. I don't want to say that we play "soft", but at times it seems we do. There is a fine line between playing the way you need to be successful and just taking needless penalties. I thought this weekend we picked it up a bit, but that was primarily in response to the hitting done by UNO. Blais' comments before Friday's game to Tim on the radio were dead on. You really don't want to be 11th or 12th in the league in penalties, like these two teams are. That shows you're not playing physical enough. I don't believe we've been a sufficiently hard team to play against yet this year. If we can straighten that out, then I think this team is capable of putting together a nice run in the WCHA playoffs, making the NCAA's, and then, who knows.

The nice thing about this year in college hockey is that it doesn't appear there are any dominant teams. Frankly, I think the WCHA is made up of pretty average teams, maybe with the exception of Duluth. I do think Denver will be better, and I expect Michigan will be tough, especially if Merrill returns. I'm sure BC will be tough as always, but this could very easily be the year a team comes from nowhere to win the championship.
    As a Gopher fan, I certainly would not expect you to put them in the mix, but.....

I think you have would have to agree that Notre Dame is a team to look out for come playoff time.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. North Dakota for years has been known to have an extremely physical style of play (that's why all of us Gopher fans get unglued right? ). When this team becomes a physical presence and continues getting the solid goaltending Dell has provided in the last 5 weeks, this team should finish with home ice advantage. Then it is anyones guess what will happen come WCHA Final Five time. ND right now would need to have the committee select them (and it is December and ND is a second half team....I know.....I know). So I think it will be key for them to finish with home ice and have a good performance in the FF. If so....then we might be talking about another hot ND team. Bang some bodies and establish your game. Probably what Hakstol has been trying to preach all year.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

And with that, we end the first half of the season. I see the exhibition game next weekend as nothing more than a chance for some of the new kids to see some ice time, and more particularily, special teams time.

I guess the team finished about where I thought they would, sitting in the 5-6 position, fighting for home ice. It's a position I think we'll see them in during most of the second half.

I did not foresee the big hole they'd have to climb out of beginning in late November. But credit to the coaching staff and players for at least putting themselves in a position where a good second half will land them in the dance.

I would say my keys for the second half would be as follows.

1. Regain our health. We've started to see some guys banged up in the last 4-6 weeks, and more importantly, key guys. The break comes at a good time for us. We're going to need guys like Rocco, Corban, etc..., in the line up every night if we hope to make a run.

2. Continued improvement from the 4-5 freshmen who have seen a lot of ice time. O'Donnell, MacMillan, Parks, and Gaarder have provided some enthusiasm and are starting to show they can play in the league. It will really help if we can see a couple of those guys pop 8 goals or so during the second half.

3. Aaron Dell will have to play the way he has for the past month and a half. He's been terrific. We're going to lose some of those 1-0 and 2-1 games just because we aren't that deep offensively. But we've been in every game these past 5-6 weeks and it's primarily been due to Aaron.

4. I would really like to see the team play more physical. I don't want to say that we play "soft", but at times it seems we do. There is a fine line between playing the way you need to be successful and just taking needless penalties. I thought this weekend we picked it up a bit, but that was primarily in response to the hitting done by UNO. Blais' comments before Friday's game to Tim on the radio were dead on. You really don't want to be 11th or 12th in the league in penalties, like these two teams are. That shows you're not playing physical enough. I don't believe we've been a sufficiently hard team to play against yet this year. If we can straighten that out, then I think this team is capable of putting together a nice run in the WCHA playoffs, making the NCAA's, and then, who knows.

The nice thing about this year in college hockey is that it doesn't appear there are any dominant teams. Frankly, I think the WCHA is made up of pretty average teams, maybe with the exception of Duluth. I do think Denver will be better, and I expect Michigan will be tough, especially if Merrill returns. I'm sure BC will be tough as always, but this could very easily be the year a team comes from nowhere to win the championship.

Leave a comment:

• willythekid
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    worse yet when you consider that all gopher players sit to pee.
    fyp

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    This could be fun...

A Gopher fan, a Wisconsin fan, and a North Dakota fan all head into the restroom at the Final Five (just assume that the Gophers and Wisconsin are actually playing at the Final Five for the purposes of this joke). The Gopher fan finishes, and just starts using a tremendous amount of water and soap, saying "I went to the University of Minnesota where they taught us to make sure to scrub our hands thoroughly after going to the bathroom." The Badger fan finishes, and uses just a tiny bit of water and a half of a paper towel, saying "I went to the University of Wisconsin where they taught us to be conscious of using our natural resources." The Sioux fan finishes, and just walks out of the bathroom. Astonished, the Badger and Gopher fan question the Sioux fan when they meet up with him in the concourse. The Sioux fan says "I went to the University of North Dakota. They taught us not to pee on our hands."

Q: Why do Gopher fans hang their diploma from the rear-view mirror?

A: So they can park in handicapped parking.

Worse yet when you consider that all gopher fans sit to pee.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
    Q: How can you tell if a gopher fan is married?

A: If there is dried up chew spit on the passenger side of the truck the driver has found love.
    This could be fun...

A Gopher fan, a Wisconsin fan, and a North Dakota fan all head into the restroom at the Final Five (just assume that the Gophers and Wisconsin are actually playing at the Final Five for the purposes of this joke). The Gopher fan finishes, and just starts using a tremendous amount of water and soap, saying "I went to the University of Minnesota where they taught us to make sure to scrub our hands thoroughly after going to the bathroom." The Badger fan finishes, and uses just a tiny bit of water and a half of a paper towel, saying "I went to the University of Wisconsin where they taught us to be conscious of using our natural resources." The Sioux fan finishes, and just walks out of the bathroom. Astonished, the Badger and Gopher fan question the Sioux fan when they meet up with him in the concourse. The Sioux fan says "I went to the University of North Dakota. They taught us not to pee on our hands."

Q: Why do Gopher fans hang their diploma from the rear-view mirror?

A: So they can park in handicapped parking.

Leave a comment:

• cross cheque
    replied

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    the hicks from UND can't figure out how to use a video camera, so of course there would never be a student produced team video to make fun of.
    Q: How can you tell if a gopher fan is married?

A: If there is dried up chew spit on the passenger side of the truck the driver has found love.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied

Kind of funny that our nation celebrates what is essentially the fighting sioux logo on the side of a WW1 airplane and that's fine, but when it's on someone's chest its not fine?

Leave a comment:

• icelund
    replied

the hicks from UND can't figure out how to use a video camera, so of course there would never be a student produced team video to make fun of.

*SPOILERS*

No dancing.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Always worth a smile to hear a Minnesotan holding forth on hickdom.

Leave a comment:

• SiouxFanatic
    replied

This is rich coming from a Gopher fan considering UMTC players didn't know how to use a video camera until they saw Brad Miller Time. Which is a student produced team video. However, once the UMTC athletic officials saw how god awful the Gopher player video was, they decided that Fox Sports North would produce future video. Hence, how that joke of a segment where a Gopher player interviews another player in the penalty box came into existence. It's alright though, copying what another team has been doing is very common.
    Last edited by SiouxFanatic; 12-11-2011, 03:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Happy
    replied

Originally posted by Gphrpkhead View Post
    Even worse......I am pretty sure at least two of those players have never had cause to celebrate any goals other than from the stands or from the bowels of Mariucci. We've got spirit......yes we do......we've got spirit....but you would never see something this stupid from the Siou.......ND.

Leave a comment:

• Gphrpkhead
    replied

Originally posted by icelund View Post
    Pride or stupidity, you be the judge.

Even worse......I am pretty sure at least two of those players have never had cause to celebrate any goals other than from the stands or from the bowels of Mariucci. We've got spirit......yes we do......we've got spirit....but you would never see something this stupid from the Siou.......ND.

Leave a comment:

• Gphrpkhead
    replied

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
    You do realize that 10yr mark is approaching oh so quickly for your program right? Also, those two NCs only count as one each so you are still behind us and Wisconsin in the title race. But who knows, maybe you'll make the F5 this year?
    Man.....I was having trouble determining that two NC's in back to back years WITHIN the last 10 years...counted as one each. And they are NC which is truly the measure of excellence in College Hockey correct? I would have to think so because ND fans seem to usually fire back with all of the NC's they have compared to the other WCHA teams.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X