UNH Off Season Thread 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Off Season Thread 2011

shocked blake is captaining, only given what I heard from scouts about his brother. Described as a kid who plays too many video games. I guess making the assumption that siblings are anything alike is silly. Glad Kessel is staying. the blueline should be pretty solid.
    "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by PSW View Post
      leadership takes different forms.....I'm not so surprised....
      If the actions of a leader speak louder than his words, then UNH will get solid leadership from their Co-Captains. This season, Mike Borisenok won the Warren Brown Award for the best defensive forward for the second time (http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...201104166ryi0j). In addition, he hustles his butt off every shift regardless of the score or the relative importance of the game.
      Damin Kipp won the SOC Nate Hardy Ironman Award for excelling in the weight room and had an impressive +9 rating for the season.
      Last edited by C-H-C; 04-24-2011, 09:02 AM. Reason: proofreading
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
        shocked blake is captaining, only given what I heard from scouts about his brother. Described as a kid who plays too many video games. I guess making the assumption that siblings are anything alike is silly. Glad Kessel is staying. the blueline should be pretty solid.
        At least 90% of junior/college/minor league hockey players can be described as playing "too many video games." What do video games have to do with leadership? If anything, Call of Duty can teach someone the value of leadership .
        "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
          At least 90% of junior/college/minor league hockey players can be described as playing "too many video games." What do video games have to do with leadership? If anything, Call of Duty can teach someone the value of leadership .
          i donno, didnt inquire further. I used to play a ton of video games too so maybe thats why boston didnt sign me last year

I obviously meant no disrespect. I'd give a testicle to have the talent that kessell has ( too soon?).
          "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
            Also a new recruit may come into the picture for 2011 if he (Blake Kessel) does go.
            Are you hearing that an offensive defenseman who had committed to Providence (or UML) is considering a switch to UNH?
            For example, Craig Wyszomirski?

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
              If the actions of a leader speak louder than his words, then UNH will get solid leadership from their Co-Captains. This season, Mike Borisenok won the Walter Brown Award for the best defensive forward for the second time (http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...201104166ryi0j). In addition, he hustles his butt off every shift regardless of the score or the relative importance of the game.
              Damin Kipp won the SOC Nate Hardy Ironman Award for excelling in the weight room and had an impressive +9 rating for the season.
              It's the WARREN Brown Award, named after the UNH sophomore killed in an auto accident in December, 1973. Walter was the president of the Celtics, owner of the old Boston Garden, and founder of the Beanpot. But as far as I know, he was never much of defensive foward, either in hockey or basketball. RIP to both.

Comment

From Page 61 of Wildcat Hockey: Ice Hockey at the University of New Hampshire By Elizabeth Slomba and William E. Ross:

Warren Brown's family joins Dave Bertollo (right in photo) at the first presentation of the Warren R. Brown Memorial Trophy in February 1974. Warren Brown died in a car accident in December 1973. The trophy named in his honor was given to the most outstanding left wing. Dave Bertollo, one of the survivors of the car accident, was the first to receive the trophy in 1974. Since 1991, the Warren Brown Trophy has been given to the best defensive forward. (Wildcat Hockey: Ice Hockey at the University of New Hampshire.
                Last edited by C-H-C; 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

From Page 61 of Wildcat Hockey: Ice Hockey at the University of New Hampshire By Elizabeth Slomba and William E. Ross:
                  I have a yearbook with a picture of the Brown family giving out the first trophy to Dave Bertollo. The sadness in the faces of his Mom, Dad, and brother is so obvious. This tragedy happened almost 40 years ago and it still resonates with me for some reason.

I'll always remember that last game he played. At McHugh Forum at BC. UNH won in overtime on a high slot tip-in goal by Gordie Clark. It was the last game before Christmas break in the years when UNH had finals after the holidays. Charlie Holt let the guys who were traveling home bring their cars to the game. Brown, Bertollo, and Jim Harvie headed for Ontario and the rest is history. Stuff like this should never happen but, in one form or another, you read of youth snuffed out in the prime of life just about every single day.

Comment

It's been great fun watching JvR emerge as an impact player over the last couple of months. Prior to tonight's game, he had 38 shots in 6 playoff games and is getting major powerplay minutes. And on to the next round.
                    Last edited by C-H-C; 04-26-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I was interested when that book came out, and its a decent visual representation, but there are so many errors in the photo ID's from just the years I know about (1995-end of book), I can't imagine how poorly ID'd the older photos are. Wish they took time to research them before putting it together, because in my eyes it took away from it...

(end rant )

Comment

chc, without giving names, I hit wrong button

vernon will be the final destination resort spot.

great move for him

Comment

It's been great fun watching JvR emerge as an impact player over the last couple of months. Prior to tonight's game, he had 38 shots in 6 playoff games and is getting major powerplay minutes. And on to the next round.
                          Just like to remember all the people on here who said he would do nothing in the NHL and was overrated. Shows how much they really know.

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                            Just like to remember all the people on here who said he would do nothing in the NHL and was overrated. Shows how much they really know.
                            I like remembering the comments of his fraudulency, Pierre McGuire, on draft night when he said that JVR would never attend UNH and that the program couldn't produce NHL quality players.

Comment

And tonight, 2 goals already and the commentators' praise for JvR's play has been gushing.

Postgame comments by Coach Laviolette:

“It was really awesome to watch him (JvR) play like that. I thought that as you’re watching him he was constantly using his size, speed, and just really taking charge of the game,” said Laviolette. “It was such a good night for him. It makes you anxious to see his future unfold. Tonight he was an impact player. I thought it was the most dominating performances that I have seen from a player.”
                              Last edited by C-H-C; 05-03-2011, 09:12 AM. Reason: Postgame Report

Comment

And tonight, 2 goals already and the commentators' praise for JvR's plays has been gushing.
                                He was the 2nd best player on the ice tonight (behind Thomas). There were stretches where he was simply dominant and it was fun (and as a Bruins fan scary) to watch. Glad to see him play well and lose in this case!

Comment

Working...
                                X