Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Off Season Thread 2011

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    This is certainly an interesting article as far as it goes. I'd love to know if money was a primary or secondary factor in the decision. And if it was primary, why now and not earlier. Lassonde has had several opportunities in the past to move to a more lucrative assistant's position and has been sought out for head coaching jobs as well. But he always declined. I can buy the idea that when one turns 50 that your career objectives can and do change. And maybe that's all it is. But after all his years at UNH, his roots in the Seacoast, and knowing how valuable he was to the program and Umile's high regard for his abilities, it had to be somewhat of surprise when he made this move. If Lassonde is correct and Umile does retire in 4 or 5 years, you really can't say that he is the heir apparent. If he was, he probably would have stayed and taken on some other title (if not money) that indicated his new status.
    OK I actually find that article creepy. My thoughts below were pure speculation, an impression from absolutely no inside information. Then Lassonde, who I would assume has a bunch of inside info, has some very similar thoughts. Unless he reads this drivel and thought my ideas were a fun story...

"Hey Dick, you want to have some fun"

"What are you thinking Dave,"

"see this crap about you having only 5 years,"

"yeah"

"want to have some fun with those fools"

"I think I like what you are thinking..."
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Can anyone tell me anything about Tortorella?
      UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
        Can anyone tell me anything about Tortorella?
        You could try scrolling back a few posts and there is a bunch of info and links you could follow.

If you need more you could try www.google.com.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

It's official - Jim Tortorella is the new Associate Coach at UNH. http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...20110830i56fpw
          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            I seriously doubt the 2nd assistant at DU makes more or significantly more than a 17 year employee at UNH.

I think you can read into the article that Umile has a 2-3 year window and Lassonde will be out west making recruiting contacts, watching the NCHC develop and padding the resume. Umile will give Lassonde the thumbs up and there will be a seamless transition.
            You scenario is so off base it is laughable. If Lassonde was the designated heir apparent, why would he leave? Recruiting contacts? The guy has been in the business for 25 years. I don't think moving to the Rockies is going to make much of a difference. Umile leaving in 2-3 years? So by 2015 he will be out and Lassonde will be back? Sure. If anything, the seamless transition may now involve Tortorella

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
              Greg, whether or not Dave's going to make bigger bucks out at DU,(pretty much a given), at least he's not at a university where the State cuts 45% from the school's expected budget! Maybe he's had enough of "taking the scraps left" (quoting William Wallace here) and fighting to keep our beloved Wildcats nationally ranked with duct tape.... the NH State House should be ashamed of themselves for their actions in not supporting their University and therefore the Wildcats....I'm just saying...
              Spot on remarks Neil. I've been observing university/state relations for 40 years now and, although they were never good (remember the Mel Thomson days), things have now gone from bad to worse. I am not exactly sure what the supposed leaders of the state, including UNH alum Governor Lynch, expect the state university to do without adequate funding. I've been saying for a couple of years now that the economic model for the athletic department is not sustainable and, frankly, you can now make that the whole university system. Does the state think that in-state students will continue to enroll when they can go to out of state public universities for less money. Or that the ever valued out of state student will opt for a stripped down UNH at 40K plus a year when there are myriad public and private school options all over the Northeast. We can only hope that the citizens of NH come to their senses and throw these neanderthals out of office, and pronto.

Comment

You scenario is so off base it is laughable. If Lassonde was the designated heir apparent, why would he leave? Recruiting contacts? The guy has been in the business for 25 years. I don't think moving to the Rockies is going to make much of a difference. Umile leaving in 2-3 years? So by 2015 he will be out and Lassonde will be back? Sure. If anything, the seamless transition may now involve Tortorella
                So your pure speculation is superior to his pure speculation? Got it.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

... the seamless transition may now involve Tortorella
                  Agreed. Perhaps Coach Umile and Coach Lassonde had the "Ansel Ivens-Anderson" conversation?
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

... I am not exactly sure what the supposed leaders of the state, including UNH alum Governor Lynch, expect the state university to do without adequate funding. I've been saying for a couple of years now that the economic model for the athletic department is not sustainable and, frankly, you can now make that the whole university system. Does the state think that in-state students will continue to enroll when they can go to out of state public universities for less money. Or that the ever valued out of state student will opt for a stripped down UNH at 40K plus a year when there are myriad public and private school options all over the Northeast. We can only hope that the citizens of NH come to their senses and throw these neanderthals out of office, and pronto.
                    There was nothing the Governor could do with enough votes to override his veto and perhaps make cuts even worse. Very short, for the reasons Greg mentions, and long, the state's future is in educating our youth, sighted thinking by the legislature. The athletic department model may soon involve eliminating football or basketball.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Greetings Wildcats,

Looking forward to seeing your team in our building this year. SCSU hosts UNH for their home opener.

Looking at UNH's history....holy **** you guys are consistent contenders over the past 20 years. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you break loose and win the big one.

SCSU looks to be a middle of the pack team in the WCHA. With that said we love to under-perform when highly ranked (see 2010-2011 season) and over-achieve when off the radar. The Huskies goal tending will be solid & return most of their offense. It's just a matter of having the blue liners step up. UNH typically puts up some good numbers offensively and will be a great early test to see how we measure up.

Good luck this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        There was nothing the Governor could do with enough votes to override his veto and perhaps make cuts even worse. Very short, for the reasons Greg mentions, and long, the state's future is in educating our youth, sighted thinking by the legislature. The athletic department model may soon involve eliminating football or basketball.
                        Just a point of clarification, that I hope puts a little bit of a positive light here.... The State only contributes 13% of UNH's top-line budget, so the cut actually represents about a 6% cut in overall "revenue" to the school. It's not that the administration is dealing with 55% of the revenues they have previously, just 55% of what they we getting last year from the State.

Doesn't make it any better, per se, but any administrator worth his or her salt shd be able to address the 6% shortfall in a disciplined way. I know I just opened up a can of worms with the term "worth his salt", but my point is simply that a 6% cut is something that shd be workable without svere pain to the student body, most importantly.

My two cents...
                        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

I'll accept your math and info as correct but since I was at UNH, the mid-70's, NH has ranked 50th of 50 states in higher educational funding......either accept the fact that universities, and our countries future, require investment or get out of the business.....and DO NOT give Dartmouth State funding when they have endowments up the yang!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
                            Greetings Wildcats,

Looking forward to seeing your team in our building this year. SCSU hosts UNH for their home opener.

Looking at UNH's history....holy **** you guys are consistent contenders over the past 20 years. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you break loose and win the big one.

SCSU looks to be a middle of the pack team in the WCHA. With that said we love to under-perform when highly ranked (see 2010-2011 season) and over-achieve when off the radar. The Huskies goal tending will be solid & return most of their offense. It's just a matter of having the blue liners step up. UNH typically puts up some good numbers offensively and will be a great early test to see how we measure up.

Good luck this season.
                            My worst nightmare is a SCSU sweep w/ a pair of GWG's from Cam Reid...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              My worst nightmare is a SCSU sweep w/ a pair of GWG's from Cam Reid...
                              I wasn't going to bring up Reid. He was a nice pick up for us. One of our more promising young players.
                              Last edited by Bronzebacks; 08-31-2011, 03:49 PM.

Comment

For the UNH Hockey family, some sad news, yesterday as Nancy Holt, the wife of long time UNH Coach Charlie Holt, passed away.....together they were what made UNH Hockey what it is.....a family! So many New Year's breakfasts out at Coach and Nancy's home....Super Bowl parties with the team....Nancy made all of us feel at home then.....condolences to Brenda and Brad, and the family

Comment

Working...
                                X