Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NMU Wildcat 2011 Offseason

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Oh, there is rumors that Anastos owns an almanac and realizes that a flight to Sawyer in January may not be the best idea... so he'd rather risk our lives on a bus to drive to East Lansing.

Possible swap of venues for the MSU series (ie: in MQT in November, in East Lansing in January). Nothing official yet.

They had better not go through with it.

Comment

Oh, there is rumors that Anastos owns an almanac and realizes that a flight to Sawyer in January may not be the best idea... so he'd rather risk our lives on a bus to drive to East Lansing.

Possible swap of venues for the MSU series (ie: in MQT in November, in East Lansing in January). Nothing official yet.
      State has a home football game against Indiana that weekend. That is likely the reason for the potential swap.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        State has a home football game against Indiana that weekend. That is likely the reason for the potential swap.
        Come on Dave, conspiracy theories are much more fun, and to quote your own signature:

"The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated."
        www.mattwellens.com

www.miningjournal.net

"brilliant, mother ********** brilliant
        wellens... you are a god among college sports analysts" - The Stew

Comment

Originally posted by mwellens View Post
          come on dave, conspiracy theories are much more fun, and to quote your own signature:

"the use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated."

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Doesn't Anastos know I'll be at deer camp that weekend?!

I mean come on, show a little love.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
              Doesn't Anastos know I'll be at deer camp that weekend?!

I mean come on, show a little love.
              You still won't be able to shoot straight enough to bag that thurty point buck.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                You still won't be able to shoot straight enough to bag that thurty point buck.
                That's what Anastos is hoping for... all the hunters with good aim to not be in town.
                Last edited by aparch; 04-08-2011, 04:15 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The Cats apparently have their replacement for Ellingson after next season. Backing up Coreau will be Michael Doan, a 6'4" 230 lbs. goalie from the Soo Thunderbirds of the NOJHL. He was a 1st team all star this year according to the Heisenberg site. He'll join the team in 12-13.

They also got a verbal for 2014(!). Denver Pierce is a center who played for a Soo midget team.

Comment

Here's an article by Terry Frei from this morning's Denver Post, by columnist Terry Frei, I thought NMU fans would enjoy reading.

====>Spotlight on ...
                    Avalanche C Mark Olver

Colorado's stretch-run struggles have been so severe, there are few silver linings. But one has been the play of Olver, the rookie center from Northern Michigan University.

He spent the first two weeks of the season on the Avalanche roster, suiting up for four of the six games, before being sent down to Lake Erie. In mid-February, he was back up for two games, rejoined the Monsters and, ultimately, the Avalanche in mid-March.

In 17 games with Colorado, Olver, who is listed as a center but has played mostly wing, has two goals and seven assists, but his peskiness and energy have drawn more attention than his scoring. He likely won't ever be a scorer, even if he sticks in the NHL long-term, but he could be a complementary guy on a decent team.

The other day, the native of Burnaby, British Columbia (yes, Joe Sakic's hometown), acknowledged that his first full pro season has been quite the ride. "It was a fun, roller-coaster year," he said. "It was one of those rides that you look to get on, and then you wait in line for about an hour to get on it. It was like one at Knott's Berry Farm or something.

"It was a great experience to be here at the start of the year. I had worked so hard over the summer to prove to myself and to everyone else that I could play here. For them to give me the opportunity at the start of the year was pretty nice. Nice wasn't good enough, so I had to go down to the minors and get better. That's what I tried to do.

"I loved Cleveland. Cleveland was an awesome town for me. I still have all my stuff there, my friends, my teammates. But this is my team right now."

Olver is charitably listed at 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds. He took a fearsome, open-ice hit from Toronto's Mike Komisarek on March 24, knocking him out of the lineup for one game.

"Yeah," he said with a smile, "I learned to never put your head down in the neutral zone. I was a little dazed getting up. I broke my nose. But that comes with the territory of putting your head down in the neutral zone."<====
                    sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

From the hockey banquet:
                      http://www.miningjournal.net/page/co....html?nav=5075

Bill Joyce Best Forward - Justin Florek
                      Dallas Drake Defensive Player of the Year - Justin Florek
                      Gary Emmons Most Valuable Player (voted by team) - Justin Florek
                      Clara Pantalone Memorial Community Service - Justin Florek
                      Don Waddell Best Freshman - C.J. Ludwig
                      Steve Bozek Plus/Minus - Scott Macaulay
                      Tom Laidlaw Best Defenseman - Scott Macaulay
                      Dennis Sibilsky Memorial Senior - Phil ****ing Fox
                      Ed Ward Most Improved Player Award - Nick Kosinski
                      Steve Weeks Unsung Hero - Andrew Cherniwchan
                      Jim Mussatto Memorial Fitness - Jared Coreau
                      Brad Werenka Coaches Academic - Devan Hartigan

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I have to say I'm pretty **** excited about the Wisconsin series next year as I will be starting my MBA at Marquette University in the fall and will be there in full force!
                        Wildcat Hockey!

B.S. NMU 11'
                        M.B.A. Marquette University 13'

Comment

*bump*

Thursday starts the excitement known as "Coaches Convention" in Florida. I can't wait for the good gossip to start from this one (regarding B1G, etc.).

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

http://www.ahcahockey.com/pdf/2011naplesagenda.pdf

A couple of interesting things jump out at me:

- 10am Thursday - D1 Men's Issues
                            This one could be quite the hot button issue. I imagine it's going to be a range of things from hits to the head, concussions, to divisional realignment chatter.

- 11:30am Thursday - NCAA Rules Committee Meets with Supervisors
                            Oh to be a fly on the wall for this one.

- 2:15pm Thursday DI Men : Paul Kelly, CHI, & D-1 Commissioners
                            This would be a good one to sit in on regarding the marketing Paul Kelly and College Hockey Inc. is doing. They recently made a push in Vancouver making high schoolers aware of college hockey (NMU Alum Mike Santorelli was featured in one tweet by College Hockey Inc.).

- 3:45pm Thursday - NCAA Men’s DI Session: NCAA Tournament & General Issues (Rules Committee 3:45-4:15 pm)
                            THE meeting to sit in on. This is the one (I feel) the B1G discussion gets heated.

All the good stuff is on Thursday.

- 7:00am Friday Breakfast – Sponsored by Cascade/The Messier Project
                            This is one item I'd like to see NMU really take the lead in (and no, I don't mean breakfast). The Messier Helmet is a step in the right direction for lessening the chance of a concussion. I would LOVE to see NMU and Messier work a way to get some helmets into game use for study by the Messier Project. I really feel this is a way to help protect players (making shoulder pads/body protection softer yet just as strong is another way to help).

- 11:00 am Friday - Drills Sessions– Sponsored by FlexxCoach
                            CCHA – 11:25-11:45 am Northern Michigan
                            Honestly, I'm a little shocked that we were chosen to lead this. But, Walt has always been about developing long term players than just trying to burn out kids to win now.

And the BIGGEST meeting of all:
                            7:30 am Saturday - NCAA National Divisional Meetings (with votes if necessary)
                            Huh. I wonder what this could be all about. I like how they're holding it in the morning too; an effort to push it through with the least resistance?

Overall, this would be a great weekend to be in Florida...

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

*bump*

Thursday starts the excitement known as "Coaches Convention" in Florida. I can't wait for the good gossip to start from this one (regarding B1G, etc.).
                              http://www.ahcahockey.com/pdf/2011naplesagenda.pdf

A couple of interesting things jump out at me:

- 10am Thursday - D1 Men's Issues
                              This one could be quite the hot button issue. I imagine it's going to be a range of things from hits to the head, concussions, to divisional realignment chatter.

- 11:30am Thursday - NCAA Rules Committee Meets with Supervisors
                              Oh to be a fly on the wall for this one.

- 2:15pm Thursday DI Men : Paul Kelly, CHI, & D-1 Commissioners
                              This would be a good one to sit in on regarding the marketing Paul Kelly and College Hockey Inc. is doing. They recently made a push in Vancouver making high schoolers aware of college hockey (NMU Alum Mike Santorelli was featured in one tweet by College Hockey Inc.).

- 3:45pm Thursday - NCAA Men’s DI Session: NCAA Tournament & General Issues (Rules Committee 3:45-4:15 pm)
                              THE meeting to sit in on. This is the one (I feel) the B1G discussion gets heated.

All the good stuff is on Thursday.

- 7:00am Friday Breakfast – Sponsored by Cascade/The Messier Project
                              This is one item I'd like to see NMU really take the lead in (and no, I don't mean breakfast). The Messier Helmet is a step in the right direction for lessening the chance of a concussion. I would LOVE to see NMU and Messier work a way to get some helmets into game use for study by the Messier Project. I really feel this is a way to help protect players (making shoulder pads/body protection softer yet just as strong is another way to help).

- 11:00 am Friday - Drills Sessions– Sponsored by FlexxCoach
                              CCHA – 11:25-11:45 am Northern Michigan
                              Honestly, I'm a little shocked that we were chosen to lead this. But, Walt has always been about developing long term players than just trying to burn out kids to win now.

And the BIGGEST meeting of all:
                              7:30 am Saturday - NCAA National Divisional Meetings (with votes if necessary)
                              Huh. I wonder what this could be all about. I like how they're holding it in the morning too; an effort to push it through with the least resistance?

Overall, this would be a great weekend to be in Florida...
                              This should be very interesting. Super shady that they're having that last meeting at 7:30 on Saturday, though. Super super shady.

Question, though: who goes to represent the schools who currently are in the coaching hunt?
                              Always a Wildcat...
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                                Question, though: who goes to represent the schools who currently are in the coaching hunt?
                                Athletic Directors, Assistants still on staff, designated representatives of the school, anyone who's paid the AHCA membership dues and wants to pay for (or have their school reimburse them for) a weekend in Florida...

I would assume a school like Michigan Tech would have Suzanne Sanregret and whoever the assistant still on staff with her.

Northern will likely have Walt, Jr, Joe Shawhan, and they'll take Steve Reed in place of Ken Godfrey.

It's a good time for former coaches still job hunting (Russell, Markell) to network and try and latch on with a team (if they're interested) since they likely kept their membership up.
                                Last edited by aparch; 04-25-2011, 04:08 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X