Union Hockey 2011 Off Season Thread-"Union, We've Paid Our Dues"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey 2011 Off Season Thread-"Union, We've Paid Our Dues"

I hope I'm wrong, but I see this as a sideways move at best for Coach Leaman. Now if you're talking money wise, it's probably a fantastic move!

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
      I hope I'm wrong, but I see this as a sideways move at best for Coach Leaman. Now if you're talking money wise, it's probably a fantastic move!
      My info is that it is a huge money jump for Nate but that if Union had played it fair and square they could have kept him for a long time for a lot less than he will get at PC and he never even would have listened to their overtures. Union did step up late in the game and only after PC had made their pitch. In other words they weren't willing to do what needed to be done until outside forces were applied. I think they got very lucky to have a quality individual like Rick Bennett waiting in the wings, but how do you let the national Coach of the Year walk out the door over a few dollars, especially when he wanted to stay? The more I am learning about this, the more upset I am with the Administration. Where have you heard that before?

Comment

Hockey East vs. ECACHL. No brainer.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

have to say Union nailed it and PC did as well
          two great coaches and mentors for both schools

Comment

Congrats to Union for naming Rick Bennett as Nate Leaman's successor. RB wil be a good coach. You shouldn't miss a beat next season w/ your new coach and the strong nucleus of returning players.

This RPI fan respects what NL accomplished and is looking forward to the Capital Disctrict travel pair being 'quite a load' for ECAC foes next season.
            Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
              Thank you Nate Leaman for everything you have done for Union hockey. You have left U Hockey in a much better place than when you came here. Congratulations and best of luck at PC. Best wishes also to Ben Barr and thanks for all you have done as well.

Congratulations and best of wishes also to Rick Bennett. We'll be behind you 100%.
              Agree with these sentiments 100%. Nate built a hockey culture at Union that nobody thought would ever happen and deserves our eternal gratitude for that. Have to admit I'm not sure that turning PC around will be an easy job, but everyone said it couldn't be done at Union either and I wouldn't want to bet against him turning things around there.

Nate will be missed, but I really see this as absolutely the best scenario with the very deserving quick promotion of Rick Bennett. In many ways I think Bennett's personality is a great fit for the type of team Union is and needs to be; steady, hardworking and relentless. Full kudos to McLaughlin and the administration for not hesitating in making the hire. There is a ton of talent returning and coming in next season and this makes for a very easy transition and helps ensure stability in the program and on the team. Should be another exciting season.

So.. I guess the carousel now turns to who will be hired as assistants and whether any other players will go pro.
              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Absolutely pitiful...the Union admin should look up "proactive." After being named COY there should immediately have been a substantial uptick in salary. This entire episode is so Union. Nate has persevered with a bush league admin for a long time. He could have been retained but the "penny wise pound foolish" culture at Union corroded what should have been a no brainer.
                After all the gnashing of teeth at least continuity has been preserved to an extent with Rick Bennett's promotion. He is apparently the guy who can successfully recruit the type of player that has come to represent this program, solid academics with solid talent. For those who in recent posts were calling for Leaman's head, you got what you wished for. It just might be that Rick Bennett will turn out to be more than a worthy successor. In any event, was afterglow of the marvelous 2011 season just a mirage?

Comment

This in no way is a knock on Union....but plain and simple from the am't of pay he will recieve to the fact that he has moved to a league w/at least 3 guarunteed nationally ranked teams every year (BC,BU,UNH),to having 18 scholorships at his disposal and being in the Boston market area is without a doubt a Promotion there should be no question about that.In my opinion this was not the safe move for Nate...staying @ Union was the safe move but he decided to take the chance.Hockey East is a tough league top to bottom and success will not come easy but Im sure they will be a better team than they were.From a die hard RPI fan Good Luck Nate much success and maybe a non league RPI/U vs Providence weekend in the future.
                  What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I say Kudos to Union.
                    Save the $$ and spend it in the classroom.
                    Like most students, I went to Union for
                    it's academics, not it's hockey team.
                    While I am a huge fan of Union pucks,
                    I am glad Union isn't spending huge $$
                    on it's coach and am pumped that Bennett
                    is getting the nod.
                    2008-2009 ECAC Pick The Standings Contest Champ!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                      This in no way is a knock on Union....but plain and simple from the am't of pay he will recieve to the fact that he has moved to a league w/at least 3 guarunteed nationally ranked teams every year (BC,BU,UNH),to having 18 scholorships at his disposal and being in the Boston market area is without a doubt a Promotion there should be no question about that.In my opinion this was not the safe move for Nate...staying @ Union was the safe move but he decided to take the chance.Hockey East is a tough league top to bottom and success will not come easy but Im sure they will be a better team than they were.From a die hard RPI fan Good Luck Nate much success and maybe a non league RPI/U vs Providence weekend in the future.
                      do you think he already hates Jack Parker and the shenanigans that the league officials play in regards to the things that BU gets away with... that no other team does?

or will that take a little while? (remember the ECAC refs who would not put up with his crap at RPI this past season? Well Leaman will not be getting the benefit of ECAC refs anymore.... )

... please see my easter bunny blog to see my rip on Jack and how even the easter bunny is sick of his shenanigans... ( I DO take every possible opportunity to rip on the Scarlet Satan... yes, I do )

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
                        Absolutely pitiful...the Union admin should look up "proactive." After being named COY there should immediately have been a substantial uptick in salary. This entire episode is so Union. Nate has persevered with a bush league admin for a long time. He could have been retained but the "penny wise pound foolish" culture at Union corroded what should have been a no brainer.
                        After all the gnashing of teeth at least continuity has been preserved to an extent with Rick Bennett's promotion. He is apparently the guy who can successfully recruit the type of player that has come to represent this program, solid academics with solid talent. For those who in recent posts were calling for Leaman's head, you got what you wished for. It just might be that Rick Bennett will turn out to be more than a worthy successor. In any event, was afterglow of the marvelous 2011 season just a mirage?
                        pppht, there are two sides to this coin
                        Now Union might go back to being known as a top academic institution. and it might not. While I love to see my favorite gladiators compete, I never lose sight of the fact that the boys are quasi professional athletes and almost NEVER student athletes.... yeah I know that every team has a couple bright players, but the majority are leaning on their "bags" to write their papers and to sit next to them so that they can copy exams....

kudos to Union for knowing exactly how much a hockey coach is worth to them.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                          do you think he already hates Jack Parker and the shenanigans that the league officials play in regards to the things that BU gets away with... that no other team does?

or will that take a little while? (remember the ECAC refs who would not put up with his crap at RPI this past season? Well Leaman will not be getting the benefit of ECAC refs anymore.... )

... please see my easter bunny blog to see my rip on Jack and how even the easter bunny is sick of his shenanigans... ( I DO take every possible opportunity to rip on the Scarlet Satan... yes, I do )
                          I believe it will take time for Him to experience the Man behind the Myth....but not much time !
                          What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Why no USCHO coverage of him leaving ??
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Been there done it....In 1990 after Gate played in the NCAA final, Dave Gagnon left early for Detroit and Terry Slater died a year later. It's not the end of the world, maybe Bennett will be great and you have a top goalie coming in too I believe. Cheer up, you still have a great team. We both need "New rinks" badly though !!
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Union93 View Post
                                I say Kudos to Union.
                                Save the $$ and spend it in the classroom.
                                Like most students, I went to Union for
                                it's academics, not it's hockey team.
                                While I am a huge fan of Union pucks,
                                I am glad Union isn't spending huge $$
                                on it's coach and am pumped that Bennett
                                is getting the nod.
                                Would you please explain to me why Union moved up to Division I hockey, then?

Comment

Working...
                                X