This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    It would seem a lot of Wisconsin's (and anyone's) roster/recruiting issues are heavily correlated to the coaching staff. I'm much more confident in Quinn & co.'s ability to handle the team than I would be with Eaves.
    Why? When Eaves got to natl champ game he beat BC in ot. BU lost to PC in regulation and spit out the bit

Comment

• Re: BU Recruiting Update, Part 3

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      Why? When Eaves got to natl champ game he beat BC in ot. BU lost to PC in regulation and spit out the bit
      Well it was in regulation in the third period BUT... close enough.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Before he left, while speaking ot a group of Terrier fans, Greeley addressed the issue of needing to be sure the team included 4-year players that were comfortable with 3rd and 4th line roles. Captain-type material that becomes the glue to keep the team as a cohesive unit despite turnover of early-departing NHL prospects. Seems like Chase Phelps and Bobo Carpenter fit the mold among recent recruits.

I'm confident that the staff won't let this swing too far to become a detriment.

And how crazy that we are concerned about having too much skill on the team. Times have certainly changed!
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
          Before he left, while speaking ot a group of Terrier fans, Greeley addressed the issue of needing to be sure the team included 4-year players that were comfortable with 3rd and 4th line roles. Captain-type material that becomes the glue to keep the team as a cohesive unit despite turnover of early-departing NHL prospects. Seems like Chase Phelps and Bobo Carpenter fit the mold among recent recruits.

I'm confident that the staff won't let this swing too far to become a detriment.

And how crazy that we are concerned about having too much skill on the team. Times have certainly changed!
          Bingo
          And remember, Eichel was Parkers recruit

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            Well it was in regulation in the third period BUT... close enough.
            Thought I remember a post by BC in ot

Comment

Harrold hit the post with a few tics left in regulation. All in all a tremendous effort by the underdogs in a de facto road game after somehow punting a heavily favored Sioux squad right out of the semis. I believe it was Pat Gannon that had the only goal for BC in that title game.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                Harrold hit the post with a few tics left in regulation. All in all a tremendous effort by the underdogs in a de facto road game after somehow punting a heavily favored Sioux squad right out of the semis. I believe it was Pat Gannon that had the only goal for BC in that title game.
                tyler made his papa drive to madison on the off day to get a bucky shirt that he could wear to the final
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  It would seem a lot of Wisconsin's (and anyone's) roster/recruiting issues are heavily correlated to the coaching staff. I'm much more confident in Quinn & co.'s ability to handle the team than I would be with Eaves.
                  I'm sure Wisconsin fans loved Mike Eaves early on just like the fanboys love Quinn (did you guys raise a runner up banner???). Mike Eaves won a national title early on and also got Wisconsin back to a title game. Since then, abysmal. But he recruited like hell in building his 2010 team.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                    IIRC, the mass exodus consisted of players like Stepan, McDonagh, Brendan Smith, Craig Smith, Gardiner, Justin Schultz, and Cody Goloboeuf at the same time? Or across 2 offseasons?
                    They would have 15-20(minimum) draft picks on roster, all very young. They draft on potential not D 1 impact.. They looke years out, not in two months
                    Than they all show up at 19, expect to be the focus and leave early, before they had s chance to make an impact
                    Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    Know they kept pushing people out and some just decommitted and went elsewhere. Word of that gets out people become skeptical of your pitch.
                    Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Wisconsin's problem was and is Eaves' arrogance. It took a while, and the Admin overlooked his signs when he was successful, but ultimately it catches up with everyone.
                    I'm not sure that these are a very accurate summary of what happened in Wisconsin.

First, remember that it's not like Wisconsin has been in a decades long slump. They are only one season removed from back to back NCAA appearances.

In 2010 Wisconsin did lose a fair number of players like Stepan, B. Smith and Goloboeuf, but most of these kids had already played 2 or 3 seasons. It's not like they were one and dones.

Those closer to Wisconsin, like Andy Johnson, can shed more light, but I suspect their recent roster problems relate more to their assistant coaches than Wisconsin loading up on too many high end recruits, or pushing people out.

After 2010 Mark Osiecki left. That was their biggest loss following that season, not the players who were expected to leave anyway. They bring in Bill Butters, who probably isn't fit to be an assistant coach anywhere and had no connection with Wisconsin, along with Gary Shuchuk, and it was a disaster (Butters probably more than Shuchuk). Those two simply did a terrible job of identifying quality players and getting them to commit to Wisconsin. And if a recruit did commit, those two did a poor job of watching over those recruits as the time approached to step on campus.

They're gone now, and it remains to be seen whether Eaves replacements in the assistant positions will change things. If not, Eaves will be gone.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

They would have 15-20(minimum) draft picks on roster, all very young. They draft on potential not D 1 impact.. They looke years out, not in two months
                      Than they all show up at 19, expect to be the focus and leave early, before they had s chance to make an impact
                      BC grabs young guns but sprinkles higher end role guys around them, an Ed Shea type who will stay 4 years

Not enough PP time for everyone and many are used to having team stand around and watch them run PP every Thursday. First time they are on mock pp on far end of the ice, ten seconds later calls to mommy and advisor
                      Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                      As far as the loading up on draft picks who all demand time I'm seeing 6 forwards who are or will be drafted on next year's roster, 4 on defense, and 1 in goal, which looks to be a much better balance than 15-20+.
                      Just realized that for both this year and next year BC will probably have 2 drafted forwards either on the 4th line or not dressing, while all of BU's would be on the top 2 lines. Despite BU having a much higher number of top 2 round picks than BC it's the Eagles that more accurately fit the problem described by Hoky above.

Not saying you have to believe that BU is going to be successful going forward, but this reason for them potentially failing does not really seem valid at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                        Just realized that for both this year and next year BC will probably have 2 drafted forwards either on the 4th line or not dressing, while all of BU's would be on the top 2 lines. Despite BU having a much higher number of top 2 round picks than BC it's the Eagles that more accurately fit the problem described by Hoky above.

Not saying you have to believe that BU is going to be successful going forward, but this reason for them potentially failing does not really seem valid at this time.
                        Agreed. Cavanaugh leaving has hurt more than I expected. PC is building an interesting pipeline. Maine as well

Could be interesting couple years out. Only team who keeps getting fillers is Merrimack. U Conn killing them in recruiting for example

Comment

Working...
                        X