No announcement yet.

Tough Weekend for NCAA officiating...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tough Weekend for NCAA officiating...

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
    They ruined the Yale game, to bad.
    I agree they are ugly helmets, but I think that's a bit excessive.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post

Why didn't Yale just did what UMD did yesterday? Kill of that penalty. Also do not take ANOTHER penalty when you are down a man for five minutes.
      Because they were overrated all year and finally played a real team.

Comment

Originally posted by goonshow View Post
        clearly in the net ????? any evidence would be helpful.. any...
        Bueller? Bueller?
        Go Cats!

Comment

Two more things that haven't been brought up yet about the Michigan goal. First of all, it's not as if the ref that initially waved the goal off had a good view, and it was his initial opinion that the puck had never crossed the line, and the video review would be contradicting his real-time judgment. He just never saw the puck across the line, because he never saw the puck at all. Secondly, the refs aren't going off of the video alone, they're also going off of what ALL the refs saw. It's the responsibility of the ref down low to watch the goal/make the initial judgment, but in this particular situation the refs further out would have been in a better position to see the puck. It's possible that they could have provided input that made what was going on in the video clearer. For example, if one of the refs was able to say that they saw the puck was on the ice the whole time, that would have immediately eliminated any possible concerns about the white space between the puck and the goal line being a result of parallax distortion (not that it's not also obvious from watching the video).

Comment

Hey it's thread #4 about the Michigan goal! Keep on starting threads guys....we'll be in St. Paul.

Comment

The reffing is one of the most unique things about the tourney. Reffing is very different from conference to conference. The kids get use to the way it's called in their conference especially from Jan on when it's pretty much all conference play and then wham o the interpretation changes. Very hard to adjust. The most common call so far this weekend? Interference for sure. The Yale call was questionable. Bottom line there are going to be those kind of calls made and missed in the tourney. I'm hoping the Sioux have a hard time with making those adjustments tomorrow afternoon and Blood and "little short big mouth man" and co end up collecting some serious minutes.
              Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                The reffing is one of the most unique things about the tourney. Reffing is very different from conference to conference. The kids get use to the way it's called in their conference especially from Jan on when it's pretty much all conference play and then wham o the interpretation changes. Very hard to adjust. The most common call so far this weekend? Interference for sure. The Yale call was questionable. Bottom line there are going to be those kind of calls made and missed in the tourney. I'm hoping the Sioux have a hard time with making those adjustments tomorrow afternoon and Blood and "little short big mouth man" and co end up collecting some serious minutes.
                In the tUMD/Yale game, they called "interference" VERY tight. tUMD had a somewhat questionable one (not as questionable as the Yale one, obviously) early in the game. From what I've seen, the eastern conferences are more of a non-contact skating style, while the west is more physical. Maybe a US/Canada-Russia comparison from days of yore?
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  I From what I've seen, the eastern conferences are more of a non-contact skating style, while the west is more physical.
                  I think that about sums it up. They're all a bunch of Ivy League sissies out there. Speaking of the East...what happened? Only UNH is left. All year we heard about Yale, Union and Merrimack and not one of the them makes it to MSP.
                  Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                    I think that about sums it up. They're all a bunch of Ivy League sissies out there. Speaking of the East...what happened? Only UNH is left. All year we heard about Yale, Union and Merrimack and not one of the them makes it to MSP.
                    Cupcake schedule, cupcake schedule, pretender/Cinderella.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The Yale call wasn't "questionable";it was an abomination.That hit wasn't even illegal,let alone worthy of 5 minutes and a DQ.

UMD was playing a much smarter game,and probably would've won anyway,but that ridiculous call gave NCAA officiating another(well-deserved) black eye.

Hysterical that Pio is now Secretary of This and That.He was the poster-boy for game-changing bad calls when he was still lacing them up.(Is Duke Shegos interested in the job?Please..?)

Comment

Wow... after the Michigan-UNO debacle last night..the refs throw Yale's O'Neill out of the game on what turns out to be a clean hit. The penalty also comes w a 5 minute power play that effectively ends the game after UMD capitalizes... and meanwhile a dangerous headshot goes un-penalized in the Merr-ND game while a guy lays semi -unconscious after the hit..... i'm not a supporter of any of these teams-just a college hockey fan and am really really shocked by what i have seen. Refereeing is not easy but this was some really unfortunate stuff....
                        I agree with what the other posters are generally saying, the UNO-Michigan goal situation was the correct call. Conclusive idk? but putting together the bits and pieces from the replays, the puck was in the net. I also agree with many of the other posters that the Yale hit probably looked worse to the ref in real speed than we on tv in slow motion. The Notre Dame-Merrimack hits from behind and head shots were the worst officiating I've seen in a long time. I'm not sure how the refs either didn't see them or didn't make the calls. The non calls probably changed the game more than the Yale 5 min major because Merrimack could have got 10-15 mins of power play time to really put the game away.
                        Last edited by sbkbghockey; 03-27-2011, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
                          The Notre Dame-Merrimack hits from behind and head shots were the worst officiating I've seen in a long time. I'm not sure how the refs either didn't see them or didn't make the calls. .
                          The hits from behind happened right in front of me. They were called but by the back the ref, the same ref was about 5 feet away from both of them and didn't call either it was the guy at the red line who called them, actaully on the first one the ref right there called a trip on Merrimack. Not sure who that ref was but he needs to go and not ever call a NCAA game again

Comment

Originally posted by wooderson View Post
                            Hey it's thread #4 about the Michigan goal! Keep on starting threads guys....we'll be in St. Paul.
                            Hypothetically. Are you conclusively sure that our team will be there, Woody?

I think the Notre Dame/ Merrimack issue was a missed call- clearly a HFB. (So... what conference crew was that?)
                            I think the UM-D call was excessive, but consistent with how CCHA officiating has ruled this season on similar hits. Charging at a minimum. It may have put Yale in a deeper hole they already had dug- not necessarily a game changing call.

Comment

clearly in the net ????? any evidence would be helpful.. any...
                              you mean like this

*****http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7052/goalo.jpg******

or this:

the deniers on here are just as bad as those who deny the process of biological diversity through natural selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                                Why does that one team have to wear those ugly helmets? Can't they afford normal ones? It makes them look like retards.
                                *****http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/062010/haters-20.jpg******

Comment

Working...
                                X