This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011: There Will be a Title Here Next Season

Good to see this thread keeping the fire going-I thought with the loss to NDak that the posting would tail off. The Hobey discussion the animosity between beman and RC-This is still a fun place to be! We have some of the most interesting posters on this entire board and I hope we can keep this up to pass the next 180+ days of off season.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Clearly, the committee that votes for this award felt that Frattin had very strong character this season. Otherwise, he would not have been in the Hat Trick.
      Yea, because 12 months of not slipping up is ample reason to ignore those pesky issues from 14 months prior. Sorry - it's not
      1) Candidates must exhibit IMPROVED strength of character both on and off the ice

Has The committee offered any insight into their thought process on this? I haven't been able to find any

Comment

Originally posted by HighlanderRPI View Post
        Yea, because 12 months of not slipping up is ample reason to ignore those pesky issues from 14 months prior. Sorry - it's not
        1) Candidates must exhibit IMPROVED strength of character both on and off the ice

Has The committee offered any insight into their thought process on this? I haven't been able to find any
        I'm pretty sure the committee knows what the criteria are

FWIW, Miele is going to win, but it is sure fun watching you freak out over this. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but where were you throwing Gerbe under the bus for his issues, or even Atkinson for what he was arrested for (or the dozens of other players who were Hobey Finalists that had off-ice character issues). Did Frattin do something to you personally? If not, why single out Frattin? I understand that you're a troll, but you are really missing out on a whole lot of other opportunities.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
          Really and what would the "difference now" be genius? That they get worse at the end of the season when every other team gets better. The object is to get better at the end of the season not worse get it? It is not a hard concept, even for you."
          Are you stalking me?
          If you knew the injuries this team was dealing with during that time you would not have written this post. Don't dist this team and their accomplishments over your anger with a poster. Grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            Good to see this thread keeping the fire going-I thought with the loss to NDak that the posting would tail off. The Hobey discussion the animosity between beman and RC-This is still a fun place to be! We have some of the most interesting posters on this entire board and I hope we can keep this up to pass the next 180+ days of off season.
            Totally agree Doc. The Hobey debate has been kept civil and is a debate that should be had accross the USCHO nation.
            As for RC/Beman, I can see a couple of really good days of posts. And with IMO getting into the action, it may get ugly.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              I was contemplating Frattin being part of the Hobey Hat Trick, and I have a bit of a different perspective on this (although I think it matches that of EHF). When Frattin was arrested and his scholarship removed, he could have went to Major Junior or Europe. Instead, he decided to work hard at trying to be reinstated with the team on his own dime. If anything, that is showing character and devotion towards college hockey. Yes, Frattin made a mistake in life. Who hasn't? The true showing of your character is how you bounce back from those mistakes.
              that is an excellent exposition of one side of the debate.

In the end it sounds like a matter of definition. "character" in responding to a mistake vs "character" in avoiding the mistake in the first place.

Sounds like some of us may need to agree to disagree and then move on. None of the opinionators seem willing to change their definition; and two different definitions of the same word seem to be the crux of the differences.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                In the end it sounds like a matter of definition. "character" in responding to a mistake vs "character" in avoiding the mistake in the first place.
                If "character" means responding to a mistake and not avoiding a mistake then it would behoove a player to make a mistake on purpose then respond well in order to display character. I can't imagine that's what the Hobey judges are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  that is an excellent exposition of one side of the debate.

Sounds like some of us may need to agree to disagree and then move on. None of the opinionators seem willing to change their definition; and two different definitions of the same word seem to be the crux of the differences.
                  There is also the timeline that comes into play as well. Some people feel that the Hobey Baker character criteria encompasses everything from the day the athlete was born, while others feel that it only applies to one particular season.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    Totally agree Doc. The Hobey debate has been kept civil and is a debate that should be had accross the USCHO nation.
                    It is being debated elsewhere, e.g. http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...obey-Hat-Trick.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by HighlanderRPI View Post

Unless Atkinson or Miele are personal friends of yours I see no point in your carrying on about this. We have no dog in this fight. It all just comes across as sour grapes.

Comment

from kevin beattie's twitter page

Good news for Tyler Helfrich, who is heading to Florida to suit up for the Everblades, where ex-#RPI sniper Brad Tapper is an assistant
                        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Really and what would the "difference now" be genius? That they get worse at the end of the season when every other team gets better. The object is to get better at the end of the season not worse get it? It is not a hard concept, even for you."
                          Are you stalking me?
                          Please stop. I'd much rather drink the Appert-Koolaid, than the bile that you spew on a regular basis on these forums. Yes, the last two seasons have ended on the downswing. From my vantage point, though, each season since Appert started has been better than the last. We are winning recruiting battles, bringing in top flight players, and, last I checked, we just played in our first NCAA tournament since 1995 and spent a good portion of the year nationally ranked. The end of season downswings are bumps in the road, nothing else.

Sad clown for you...

*****http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/sad_clown.jpg******
                          RPI Pep Band Ex-Ex-Ex-...-Ex Conductor

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985
                          UConn Basketball 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
                            Good morning, everyone. Quick self-promotion note: I'm going to be on with Rodger Wyland and Ken Schott on AM 980 wrapping up the RPI season at about 11:15 or so, give or take a few minutes.

http://www.foxsports980.com/main.html
                            Nice interview.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Are you stalking me?
                              http://files.sharenator.com/U_MAD_ob...-94948-535.jpg
                              Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Springfield's transaction notice for York. Interestingly enough, it includes a video clip from Freakout... http://www.falconsahl.com/index.php?id=1747

Comment

Working...
                                X