X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011: There Will be a Title Here Next Season

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
    I will first say I am not supporting a DUI conviction, however, I am curious. What are your thoughts on Craig McTavish.....Michael Vick? Does prior convictions limit you to being considered for awards where character is not a criteria? Is this an award where you must defend your prior convictions? I have yet to read where that is part of the criteria. I am curious....did any NoDak's bite?
    Had to google MacTavish - but him and Vick are both d-bags from what I can see. Both of them hav an awful lot of atoning to do for the rest of their lives.

Depends on the criteria for the award - Would be like the ASPCA giving Vick a "Lifetime Achivement" award - huge w-the-f in my mind.

Hobey is supposed to be related to college hockey and specifically calls out charater- and Frattin failed miserbly in the charater department during his College Hockey career. Maybe if it didn't mention charater - I might at least UNDERSTAND, but still not agree.

Oh, and it's just like those specialty fishing lure infomercials in the other thread - only thing missing is Billy Mays reeling them in

Comment

Originally posted by HighlanderRPI View Post
      X-Posted from the Hobey Hat Trick thread where I posted to bait the Sioux fans

Open letter to Hobey Baker Committee:

Seems you left the part out of Matt Frattin's bio where he was arrested for drunk driving and blowing a 0.12 on the brethalyzer. Oh but he wasn't convicted? Sometimes the justice system is a massive failure - just look at the OJ Simpson case. Does that mean OJ has Character too in the eyes of the Hobey Baker foundation?

Oh, you forgot his second arrest that he was convicted on in a court of law in NoDak as well. What a winner.

Really shows a lot of character to overlook past failures because it's convenient rather than looking at the total athlete's career. He could have killed someone but you'll probably still give him the Hobey - because ****, he can shoot the puck so who cares if he got drunk and drove around. I guess it's cool when athletes do it.

Signed - HighlanderRPI

PS - better hook up a generator to ol' Hobey - make some money off all that spinning, given the rising energy prices

PPS - I'm sure some NoDak homers will say I'm sore because RPI lost to NoDak, but I would be saying this regardless - it's indefensible to drive drunk, sorry
      Is the defection of York to the AHL causing you that much emotional stress you need to act out by doing this? Couldnt you have just chained yourself to the field house in protest or something.....
      Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
        What if I said we had Van Gogh Dutch Caramel there !
        On our way! You really do know what it takes.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

X-Posted from the Hobey Hat Trick thread where I posted to bait the Sioux fans

Open letter to Hobey Baker Committee:

Seems you left the part out of Matt Frattin's bio where he was arrested for drunk driving and blowing a 0.12 on the brethalyzer. Oh but he wasn't convicted? Sometimes the justice system is a massive failure - just look at the OJ Simpson case. Does that mean OJ has Character too in the eyes of the Hobey Baker foundation?

Oh, you forgot his second arrest that he was convicted on in a court of law in NoDak as well. What a winner.

Really shows a lot of character to overlook past failures because it's convenient rather than looking at the total athlete's career. He could have killed someone but you'll probably still give him the Hobey - because ****, he can shoot the puck so who cares if he got drunk and drove around. I guess it's cool when athletes do it.

Signed - HighlanderRPI

PS - better hook up a generator to ol' Hobey - make some money off all that spinning, given the rising energy prices

PPS - I'm sure some NoDak homers will say I'm sore because RPI lost to NoDak, but I would be saying this regardless - it's indefensible to drive drunk, sorry
          I had made a post earlier about the character issue and the Hobey. I am not in an uproar about it but if you are going to ignore one of the 4 criteria (character both on and off the ice) then make it a different award. I don't know about the other candidates but 2 arrests certainly does not fit one of the criteria of a Hobey award winner. BTW as far as Vick-they should have done to him what he had done to some of his dogs. I hope some day he really does get his just reward for that.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
            Is the defection of York to the AHL causing you that much emotional stress you need to act out by doing this? Couldnt you have just chained yourself to the field house in protest or something.....
            York who? Most of us remember the days when no one left early - I'll take this over that.

Sucks, but it's the reality of a vastly improving program.

Plus I'm too lazy to drive to Troy - weather is bad enough in CT

Comment

York who? Most of us remember the days when no one left early - I'll take this over that.

Plus I'm too lazy to drive to Troy - weather is bad enough in CT
              I was fine with York leaving and went into the recruitment of Pirri and D'Amigo knowing that they were not gonna be here 4 years. If a kid can make money now while they are at their athletic peak, I certainly have no problems with that. You can always get an education later.
              Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                I had made a post earlier about the character issue and the Hobey. I am not in an uproar about it but if you are going to ignore one of the 4 criteria (character both on and off the ice) then make it a different award. I don't know about the other candidates but 2 arrests certainly does not fit one of the criteria of a Hobey award winner. BTW as far as Vick-they should have done to him what he had done to some of his dogs. I hope some day he really does get his just reward for that.
                So what you're saying is a kid can't have any good character because he made a mistake at one point in his life? Got it.

I think what we have here is a reputation vs character disagreement. (your reputation is what others think of you, your character is what you are). If you don't know the guy, how do you know what kind of character he has? You're judging him on his reputation, not who he is. So I think the character portion of the Hobey is flawed because I would guess very few on the selection committee know any of these finalists that well, if at all.

Comment

BTW as far as Vick-they should have done to him what he had done to some of his dogs. I hope some day he really does get his just reward for that.
                  That's too humane for someone of his ilk - I would prefer "locked in a small room with a hundred starved chihuahuas"

Put it on Pay-Per-View and you've got a goldmine

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                    So what you're saying is a kid can't have any good character because he made a mistake at one point in his life? Got it.

I think what we have here is a reputation vs character disagreement. (your reputation is what others think of you, your character is what you are). If you don't know the guy, how do you know what kind of character he has? You're judging him on his reputation, not who he is. So I think the character portion of the Hobey is flawed because I would guess very few on the selection committee know any of these finalists that well, if at all.
                    Public Reputation is a very telling sign of inner character - not the sole barometer, but very telling - and what the committee has to go on given they don't personally know him presumably (if they all do, that may explain why he's in the final 3....)

"At one point in his life"??! come-on, you make it sound like he made a mistake 25 years ago instead of the roughly one year (give or take) it actually is

Comment

I wouldn't say vastly improving. When you are like 8 and 29 in Feb and March the last few years that isn't good. I think everybody on this thread is drinking the Kool-Aid Seth is hawking.

Comment

Is the Hobey supposed to be about this year's performance on the ice or all four years? If it is only about this year's performance, then the character issues from previous years could also be wiped off the slate.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Interestingly, one of Polacek's teammates in Peoria will be Jay Barriball (UMn '11) who was his linemate at Shattuck in 05-06 and perhaps earlier.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
                            I wouldn't say vastly improving.
                            Then you're blind. He didn't say "perfect," meathead, he said "vastly improving," and even a toddler could see the difference between the team now and when he took it over.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              Is the Hobey supposed to be about this year's performance on the ice or all four years? If it is only about this year's performance, then the character issues from previous years could also be wiped off the slate.
                              I disagree strongly-perhaps on ice performance in previous years is wiped off the map-but character is not. They should either remove that from the 4 criteria or change the award and call it the Best College Hockey Player of the Year Award. This does not come up every year but it is an issue that has arisen in the past. Awards have been given based solely on a single year's on ice performance. I am not saying that should not be an award-just simply that it should not be considered the Hobey Baker Award which has as it's criteria more than simply goals and assists in one year.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                                Not at all-I just do not think a couple of run ins with the law in the very recent past indicate something about character. I am saying that if they want to call him the Best College hockey Player of the Year-do it. Just do not say he is the Hobey Baker award Winner which has been defined with 4 criteria-one of which he has been shown to be sorely lacking.

Comment

Working...
                                X