This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
    This is not a slight on Noth Dakota in any way just a little insight on how you get so many Draft picks on 1 team...the ques.has been asked...so i just quickley went and looked at there roster and what certain the players majors were...this should clear a few things up:

Matt Fratten
    Ben Blood
    Aaron Dell
    Evan Trupp
    All Major in Recreational & Tourism Studies

Kristo
    Brad Malone
    Mario Lamoureux
    Brett Hextall
    All major in Entrepreneurship

Forbert's major is undecided (I'm guessing he doesn't decide engineering)
    Gregoire majors in investment (No idea what that could be)
    Genoway majors in management (doesn't say what kind/but my guess is Hockey Rink mgm't)

Like I said I'm not passing judgement just passing on some insight as to why they have so many good players IMO.
    What's the breakdown for how Yale has so many good players?

In my opinion, we shouldn't use our academic superiority as a crutch, but rather as a weapon - I.e. as a means to win recruiting battles with athletically-superior schools for guys who wouldn't otherwise consider us.

Comment

Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011: There Will be a Title Here Next Season

This is not a slight on Noth Dakota in any way just a little insight on how you get so many Draft picks on 1 team...the ques.has been asked...so i just quickley went and looked at there roster and what certain the players majors were...this should clear a few things up:

Matt Fratten
      Ben Blood
      Aaron Dell
      Evan Trupp

Kristo
      Brad Malone
      Mario Lamoureux
      Brett Hextall

Genoway majors in management (doesn't say what kind/but my guess is Hockey Rink mgm't)

Like I said I'm not passing judgement just passing on some insight as to why they have so many good players IMO.
      I understand why basketball and football players major in things like Recreational and Tourism Studies, but with hockey having the option of reaching the pros via Major Junior, it surprises me when hockey players do that.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
        In my opinion, we shouldn't use our academic superiority as a crutch, but rather as a weapon - I.e. as a means to win recruiting battles with athletically-superior schools for guys who wouldn't otherwise consider us.
        I suspect that we do that, and SA apparently does it quite well. Also, our standards are clearly not to the level of most of the Ivies, e.g. Tyler Helfrich wasn't admitted to Brown. (I think that it was Brown.) We do suffer, however, due to not having a broader base of majors, not that I would change that.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Matt Fratten
          Ben Blood
          Aaron Dell
          Evan Trupp

Kristo
          Brad Malone
          Mario Lamoureux
          Brett Hextall

Just for clarification from a UND alum ... Entrepreneurship, management and investments are all business majors at UND. They are all sub-fields in the College of Business and Public Administration. I would call Recreation and Tourism Studies a mix of a Communication, Marketing, and Business Management major. I know Frattin and Malone were previously business majors as I had economics with them a few years back. I think Recreation and Tourism is slightly less rigorous academically (less math), so I think that's why they might have switched. I have not seen too many hockey players on our team major in engineering if any, but props to those that do. That's gotta be tough. Our third goalie is an accounting major, and having been forced to take accounting courses, I find that to be impressive. It is definitely harder to recruit the top end players to schools such as RPI because of their impressive academic standards. I don't think I would have been accepted into RPI and I was an honor student in high school. That said, I'm pleased with the education I received in North Dakota, so I have no complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
            Just for clarification from a UND alum ... Entrepreneurship, management and investments are all business majors at UND. They are all sub-fields in the College of Business and Public Administration. I would call Recreation and Tourism Studies a mix of a Communication, Marketing, and Business Management major. I know Frattin and Malone were previously business majors as I had economics with them a few years back. I think Recreation and Tourism is slightly less rigorous academically (less math), so I think that's why they might have switched. I have not seen too many hockey players on our team major in engineering if any, but props to those that do. That's gotta be tough. Our third goalie is an accounting major, and having been forced to take accounting courses, I find that to be impressive. It is definitely harder to recruit the top end players to schools such as RPI because of their impressive academic standards. I don't think I would have been accepted into RPI and I was an honor student in high school. That said, I'm pleased with the education I received in North Dakota, so I have no complaints.
            I'm sure you could have made it in. Did you apply to Michigan Tech, or any of the other technical institutes?

That having been said, not everyone does engineering here. We're quite happy to see those majors, but I would say that a majority of our players have decided to enroll in the Lally School of Management. Obviously there are a few engineers, one pre-med, and some things here and there. No Games and Simulation Arts and Sciences yet (though that might be interesting to see); I think we had one Electronic Media Arts and Communications major a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
              Save that for whenever the freakout is next year and post it in the scores thread. Freakout is what it is, a promotional attempt by the 'Tute to fill the Field House. It is just another game on the ECAC schedule.
              ibanezist00, excuse fishcore ... everyone once in awhile he has to channel his inner "hey kids get off my lawn" self. Welcome to the thread.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                I'll state what I said before my post was not a slight on UND I have no reason to believe it is anything but a fine institution I was just making the point that among many reasons a hockey player would choose your school... not the least of which your winning tradition is the fact that low SAT scores are a non issue and the diversity of fields of study are endless.Its just my opinion that some schools are for lack of a better phrase Hockey Factories. I don't say that in a derogatory way just that your success on the ice would tend to back that up."ALL" schools participate in some sort of academic gymnastics its just less difficult at some.Heck we play in a league in which over the years it can be said that the most consistant winning team is an Ivy League school and a large number of their players major in Hotel/Motel Mgm't...Having said all that I'am a big UND fan you not only have the best team in NCAA Hockey this year,but you also have the best Uniforms......Go UND you deserve to win...if you don't IMO the best team this year didn't win it all.
                What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Heck we play in a league in which over the years it can be said that the most consistant winning team is an Ivy League school and a large number of their players major in Hotel/Motel Mgm't.
                  It is quite important to know how to pour champagne correctly in case you win the Stanley Cup.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Have others noticed that recently a lot of files seem to be opened when reading Troy Record articles?
                    I had 3 this morning!
                    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011: There Will be a Title Here Next Season

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      An interesting article by Ed Weaver on York's decison http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory.
                      Can York at some point become a free agent if he does not leave early?

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                        ibanezist00, excuse fishcore ... everyone once in awhile he has to channel his inner "hey kids get off my lawn" self. Welcome to the thread.
                        Thanks. Didn't bother me! Just excited for next season already
                        Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

I have a hard time equating the NCAA with "character". As for Matt Frattin, I'm in agreement with the announcer's (same announcer who picked Chase as top 3 for Hobey) take on Frattin's attempt to, "clean up his act". He could've easily left school after his 2 arrests & turned pro or gone to the OHL but instead he stayed in school and worked on bettering himself as a person. IMHO, that shows character....as Doc would, " just my 2-cents".
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                            Can York at some point become a free agent if he does not leave early?
                            IIRC, they have a year after he graduates to sign him.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                              Just curious, any possibility of Bergin or maybe Cullen leaving early? Bergin is a Dallas draft choice and Cullen was at Capitals prospect camp last summer.
                              You're joking, right? They'd both be stupid to leave. Bergin with all the injuries and in regards to Cullen, what pro team would want a 3rd-4th line college player right now? I'd be worried about Brock Higgs or Nick Bailen leaving before those two.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohntute View Post
                                You're joking, right? They'd both be stupid to leave. Bergin with all the injuries and in regards to Cullen, what pro team would want a 3rd-4th line college player right now? I'd be worried about Brock Higgs or Nick Bailen leaving before those two.
                                Agreed-also watch and see if and what round Koudys gets drafted. If he goes early there could be a lot of incentive for him not to stay 4 years.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X