X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011: There Will be a Title Here Next Season

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Meh, still would have needed four wins. Plus, clutch and grab doesn't prepare us against western teams.
    Agreed.

Clutch and grab will probably remain until Schafer leaves Cornell. It does seem, however, that more ECAC schools are going to an up tempo game.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Agreed.

Clutch and grab will probably remain until Schafer leaves Cornell. It does seem, however, that more ECAC schools are going to an up tempo game.
      I thought Schafer was a robot built by the combined efforts of The Great Leader and the Great Bear.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
        My original point, and I believe this is in a similar vein to what Waite21's opinion is, is that we are not satisfied with showing up in the NCAA tournament and getting blown out. Yes, it is a drastic improvement since four years ago when I came to this school and started following the team. The progress that we have seen under Appert's tutelage has been fantastic. Basically, I want to be the team that everyone is scared to play. I'm tired of saying "oh, crap, we're playing Yale / Cornell / Miami / North Dakota this weekend, it's going to suck," I want other teams' fans to say, "crap, we're playing RPI this weekend, it's going to suck." That is clearly the direction we are headed and I believe that a prolonged appearance at the top of the ECAC standings, a solid couple of years in the ECAC tournament, and a couple NCAA wins will put is in that spot.

The progress is real and we are headed in the right direction. That's something that I think most everyone can agree upon.
        Sensible thoughts which I agree with. I do think that we unfortunately drew NDak in the NCAA. I have always felt hockey is a game of match ups and we just could not match up with a team with that much size, speed and experience. We played a pretty darn good first period and were in that game for 20 minutes but depth started to show. Match us up with a lot of the other 16 teams in that tournament and I think we would have fared better. Regardless, we are heading in the right direction and it feels good to be an RPI fan right now and i figure it to feel a whole lot better over the next few years.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
          I wouldn't waste your time with this bedwetter. ECAC championships are nice but ultimately meaningless given where Seth Appert's sights are set. Let this little whiner whine about a loser trophy for losers.
          Winning the ECAC, or getting to AC, indicates the ability to win in March. You have to win in March in order to win in April.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Winning the ECAC, or getting to AC, indicates the ability to win in March. You have to win in March in order to win in April.
            Go realign the NCAA again.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Today is 15 May 2011. There are 139 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Thats just a cliche...you have to win when it counts whether its October or May.Putting aside the rpi which I don't understand(I have people for that)I would argue that the games that put us on the map and eventually in the NCAA's were the BU game and the Yale game mid season and early season games.You have to beat good teams that in turn beat other good teams...bottom line...you can't take the chance of catching a go for broke team or a hot goaltender in a 1 and out league tournament...you need a body of work for the entire season to consistantly make the NCAA's.Winnig the league or the playoffs is the small picture,playing a demanding non league schedule and keeping your self in the top 10 or 15 nationally is the BIG PICTURE ! JMO
                What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                  Thats just a cliche...you have to win when it counts whether its October or May.Putting aside the rpi which I don't understand(I have people for that)I would argue that the games that put us on the map and eventually in the NCAA's were the BU game and the Yale game mid season and early season games.You have to beat good teams that in turn beat other good teams...bottom line...you can't take the chance of catching a go for broke team or a hot goaltender in a 1 and out league tournament...you need a body of work for the entire season to consistantly make the NCAA's.Winnig the league or the playoffs is the small picture,playing a demanding non league schedule and keeping your self in the top 10 or 15 nationally is the BIG PICTURE ! JMO
                  Remarkably cogent.
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Today is 16 May 2011. There are 138 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                      I look no further than Miami to see that this is the case. For the last several years they have been a fixture in the NCAA's, but on several occasions they underachieved in CCHA's, including (notably) 2009 where NMU knocked them out of the CCHA quarterfinals. I look for RPI to perenially compete for an at large bid as a sign of growth for the program. As for the ECAC's, the conference tourney success will come as the team improves, but it certainly is not a prerequisite for success in the NCAA's.
                      RPI Pep Band Ex-Ex-Ex-...-Ex Conductor

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985
                      UConn Basketball 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Comment

Just for the heck of it, I looked back to 2006 to see how far Frozen Four participants made it in their own conference tournament (I neglected consolation games). As one would expect, the vast majority of FF teams at least made the final weekend of their tournament. There were several, though, that lost best of 3 early round series.

UMD - WCHA Quarterfinals (F5 play-in)
                        Michigan - CCHA Semifinals
                        North Dakota - WCHA Champion
                        Notre Dame - CCHA Semifinals

BC - HE Champion
                        Wisconsin - WCHA Semifinals
                        Miami - CCHA Semifinals
                        RIT - AH Champion

BU - HE Champion
                        Miami - CCHA Quarterfinals (Best of 3)
                        Bemidji State - CHA Champion
                        Vermont - HE Quarterfinals (Best of 3)

BC - HE Champion
                        Michigan - CCHA Champion
                        North Dakota - WCHA Semifinals

Michigan State - CCHA Semifinals
                        BC - HE Champion
                        Maine - HE Quarterfinals (Best of 3)
                        North Dakota - WCHA Runner-up

BC - HE Runner-up
                        Maine - HE Semifinals
                        RPI Pep Band Ex-Ex-Ex-...-Ex Conductor

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985
                        UConn Basketball 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Comment

Another opinion from a Hockey's Future poster http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...4&postcount=11
                          86. Koudys, Patrick - “Mr. Character” - D - Canada
                          6’4”, 210 lb., L, RPI, ECAC, 15-Nov-92, Stats: 31-1-2-3-14-(-1) - Rated 76th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 99th overall
                          If you were drafting on character, he’d go first overall,” says Mark Jooris, who coached him on the Burlington Cougars in 2009-10 when he was named the league’s “Top Prospect”.
                          (http://www.therecord.com/sports/arti...imb-the-ladder). In addition to his character, maturity and coachability, Koudys brings an imposing size, a cannon of a shot, a nice first pass and decent straight ahead skating. He also comes from a hockey family as his Dad (Jim) won an Allan Cup and played for the Islanders in NHL exhibition games. However like a lot of teenagers looking for a job, Patrick’s resume is pretty lean as he saw only limited ice time this year as a frosh at RPI. Therefore, Patrick is more projection than reality at this stage and he also has to work more on his agility as well. Where does Patrick go??? NHL Central Scouting has him 4th which is about right but somehow I feel there is too much potential for at least one team not to make a grab for him in the third.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Another opinion from a Hockey's Future poster http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...4&postcount=11
                            I would be very surprised if he has not been chosen by the end of round 4. I figure a late 3rd or early 4th pick. He seems to be the rock we will build our defense around for the next 3 years.
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              I would be very surprised if he has not been chosen by the end of round 4. I figure a late 3rd or early 4th pick. He seems to be the rock we will build our defense around for the next 3 years.
                              Mark no mistake Pat will be the anchor on our defence...lets hope he stays 2 more years at least.
                              What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Timmah! View Post
                                Just for the heck of it, I looked back to 2006 to see how far Frozen Four participants made it in their own conference tournament (I neglected consolation games). As one would expect, the vast majority of FF teams at least made the final weekend of their tournament. There were several, though, that lost best of 3 early round series.

UMD - WCHA Quarterfinals (F5 play-in)
                                Michigan - CCHA Semifinals

BC - HE Champion
                                Miami - CCHA Semifinals
                                RIT - AH Champion

BU - HE Champion
                                Miami - CCHA Quarterfinals (Best of 3)
                                Bemidji State - CHA Champion
                                Vermont - HE Quarterfinals (Best of 3)

BC - HE Champion
                                Michigan - CCHA Champion
                                North Dakota - WCHA Semifinals

Michigan State - CCHA Semifinals
                                BC - HE Champion
                                Maine - HE Quarterfinals (Best of 3)
                                North Dakota - WCHA Runner-up

BC - HE Runner-up
                                Maine - HE Semifinals
                                Nice Work Timmah!

Comment

Working...
                                X