X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011: There Will be a Title Here Next Season

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    I agree that Josh made the most of his increased ice time this year, I just think that Helfrich coming back from two injury filled seasons finally played to his potential.
    Also, a case could be made for AAG as the most inspirational given his role in the Higgs incident. He may have saves Brock's life. That is pretty inspirational to me.
    It was definitely an inspirational moment, although I think most of us are saying Kennedy because not only did he take the initiative to run 3 months of practices, but with Coach saying that the captains were the real motivators in the locker room. I agree that AAG's quick thinking and stepping up this year (compared to last) definitely shows leadership, and he should get at least an A for next year.

Was wondering, who got Most Improved last year? Was that Kerins?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      It was definitely an inspirational moment, although I think most of us are saying Kennedy because not only did he take the initiative to run 3 months of practices, but with Coach saying that the captains were the real motivators in the locker room. I agree that AAG's quick thinking and stepping up this year (compared to last) definitely shows leadership, and he should get at least an A for next year.

Not to take away from anything that Kennedy did this season, but 1) they're called "Captains' Practices" for a reason and 2) of course the captains are going to be the motivators in the locker room - that's part of their role as captains.

And yes, Kerins won Most Improved last year, in addition to Most Inspirational.
      Last edited by JCrawford; 05-06-2011, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Yes http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...px?path=hockey

Edit: JCrawford, sorry. It took me awhile to find the link.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by JCrawford View Post
          Not to take away from anything that Kennedy did this season, but 1) they're called "Captains' Practices" for a reason and 2) of course the captains are going to be the motivators in the locker room - that's part of their role as captains.

And yes, Kerins won Most Improved last year, in addition to Most Inspirational.
          Point taken.

Although one person I think that gave the team a little extra "oomph" (or at least from what I could tell from watching the games) that I think only I mentioned (and for Most Improved) is Johnny Rogic. Potentially a longshot choice?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Yes http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...px?path=hockey

Edit: JCrawford, sorry. It took me awhile to find the link.
            No problem, Ralph. It took me a few minutes to find it, too!

Comment

Point taken.

Although one person I think that gave the team a little extra "oomph" (or at least from what I could tell from watching the games) that I think only I mentioned (and for Most Improved) is Johnny Rogic. Potentially a longshot choice?
              FDude, I believe to qualify for the most improved award you would have had to improve from the season before so that would disqualify any freshman and Bailen.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                FDude, I believe to qualify for the most improved award you would have had to improve from the season before so that would disqualify any freshman and Bailen.
                And I believe you to have a bigger ego than a combination of Bear Red and Hokeydope.

But to get back to what you really were saying, I don't think improving from the season before is necessarily the case. Kennedy won Most Improved his sophomore year, but it wasn't because of what happened his freshman year, one reason was because of his love handles during the offseason (I'm quoting cmmarkham on this one; it's too bad she doesn't grace us with her presence on here very much anymore, I kind of miss her), but he also was getting steadily better the whole year.
                Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 05-06-2011, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                  One of the most sensible posts of this year.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

And I believe you to have a bigger ego than a combination of Bear Red and Hokeydope.
                    When people correct me on the board I am thankful that someone steers me out of my ignorance and yes I do have a big ego. Look at all the ink I have gotten in the local press
                    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

But to get back to what you really were saying, I don't think improving from the season before is necessarily the case. Kennedy won Most Improved his sophomore year, but it wasn't because of what happened his freshman year, one reason was because of his love handles during the offseason (I'm quoting cmmarkham on this one; it's too bad she doesn't grace us with her presence on here very much anymore, I kind of miss her), but he also was getting steadily better the whole year.
                      By my definition Most Improved implies from the previous season, but that hasn't been how it has worked. York shared the award with JFK in 08-09 as a frosh. Halpern won it in 07-08. Erik Burgdoerfer shared it in 06-07. http://www.rpiathletics.com/sports/2...8.aspx?id=2862
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-06-2011, 02:49 PM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Really miss the occassional cmmarkham post also. She added quite a bit to our discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          Really miss the occassional cmmarkham post also. She added quite a bit to our discussions.
                          Me too, although she still posts on RPI-Sports.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            By my definition Most Improved implies from the previous season, but that hasn't been how it has works. York shared the award with JFK in 08-09 as a frosh. Halpern won it in 07-08. Erik Burgdoerfer shared it in 06-07. http://www.rpiathletics.com/sports/2...8.aspx?id=2862
                            The previous season is definitely a good possible benchmark, but if a player starts the season as not so good and works their way through the season to one of the higher caliber players, I don't see why that shouldn't be seen as an improvement, and it doesn't seem just to them that they would have to be disqualified from the award just because they weren't around the previous year. Now if it's a case where they lost a bit in the offseason and regained it (like I would say would be the case with Helfrich), I don't think it's a good indication.

Comment

The previous season is definitely a good possible benchmark, but if a player starts the season as not so good and works their way through the season to one of the higher caliber players, I don't see why that shouldn't be seen as an improvement, and it doesn't seem just to them that they would have to be disqualified from the award just because they weren't around the previous year. Now if it's a case where they lost a bit in the offseason and regained it (like I would say would be the case with Helfrich), I don't think it's a good indication.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                                Thanks, I have my moments.

Comment

Working...
                                X