This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011: There Will be a Title Here Next Season

While it is slow, I would like to take the opportunity to salute all the graduating Seniors who are posters on this board. I think Burgie12 is graduating which I think should make him Burgie11 but hey that’s just me. To all the faithful graduating posters like Burgie, here is my stick salute to you:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joconnell/124522035/

Good luck in your careers and more importantly in life. God speed.
    Last edited by AspyDad; 04-13-2011, 03:24 PM.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Dude-I have thought about the reasons for the yearly meltdown for a long time. I don't think it is necessarily the month(Jan or Feb) it is the competition. We play virtually all ECAC games in those 2 months and up until now we have just not been built as a team for the grind of ECAC games. I think this changes with the incoming class. We have increased our size on defense last year-that should help some. But we now will be adding a considerable amount of offensive depth for the first time in a long time. We should be able to do some scoring to match our defensive play. Much as I hate to say it, we will be more Union-like this upcoming year with offense coming throughout the line up. Even on defense, we will be more offensive as the defensemen that graduated were not adding anything to the scoresheet for us.

As far as being superstitious-No one can be more so that Jenny and I. When we win-we try to remember the same routine before each game until we lose again. Really looking forward to a fun year for the Engineers next season.
      It is amazing that what I eat before the game, what I wear to the game and where I park makes a difference in whether we win or not!

Comment

Originally posted by Shoot the Puck View Post
        It is amazing that what I eat before the game, what I wear to the game and where I park makes a difference in whether we win or not!
        I full understand that thought. Back in 1984-85 Jenny and I ate veal parm at Verdile's before each home game. Then went to Bella Napoli to pick up pastry to bring to the HFH. We had 4 seats in row K section 6 but always sat in the same 2-putting our coats in the other 2. Once we started doing that (after the first SLU game) we did not see a loss at home all year-Coincidence? I think not!! We even tried to pull off a similar routine in Detroit that March-had veal parm for dinner. But could ot find a decent pastry shop near Joe Louis Arena. We thought that would doom the effort(and with a few minutes left in regulation against UMD we were sure it did). But everything turned out OK.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          I full understand that thought. Back in 1984-85 Jenny and I ate veal parm at Verdile's before each home game. Then went to Bella Napoli to pick up pastry to bring to the HFH. We had 4 seats in row K section 6 but always sat in the same 2-putting our coats in the other 2. Once we started doing that (after the first SLU game) we did not see a loss at home all year-Coincidence? I think not!! We even tried to pull off a similar routine in Detroit that March-had veal parm for dinner. But could ot find a decent pastry shop near Joe Louis Arena. We thought that would doom the effort(and with a few minutes left in regulation against UMD we were sure it did). But everything turned out OK.
          I hear what you're saying Doc. troyboy and I like to shotgun a couple of budweisers before the game and then smoke non-filter camels as we walk into HFH to publicly flaunt Dr. Jackson's non-smoking policy. We did this before the home Union game this year and we're going to stick with it.
          Last edited by AspyDad; 04-13-2011, 07:57 PM.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
            You know who else didn't touch their trophies? North Dakota. What did it get them? An early exit from the Frozen Four and no moment holding the MacNaughton or Broadmoor up in the air to put in the memory bank.
            As a Pittsburgh fan, I can tell you that the Penguins have won the Prince of Wales trophy four times.

Three times, they picked it up and went skating around with it. They won the Stanley Cup all three of those years.

One time, they left it sitting on the table. That was the year that they lost the Stanley Cup final.

My advice to any team that wins a championship trophy at any time - pick the thing up and celebrate with it. Refusing to do so will not give you any sort of edge in pursuing any other trophy in the future.

Comment

Love seeing everybodys ideas of lines next season. Im thinking Haggerty will be more of a checking line guy. But I do know its gonna be tougher and tougher for coach to decide who ends up on the ice each night. Monday-Thursdays are going to be battles for ice time. Curadi and Leboeuf together would be an interesting pairing just in sheer height alone. I realize the speed issue putting those two together but Dr. D would have the biggest smile on his face with those two together. So many different D combos could be put together. This will make for some fun guessing games come October.
              Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Today is 14 April 2011. There are 170 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  FWIW, pretty much every player on the team had held the MacNaughton/Broadmoor before. Plus, they have all offseason to hold the trophies if they want.
                  I guess, but there's no time like the moment you get it to be able to celebrate with it. My attitude is always that you've got to celebrate success when you get a bit of it. There's no guarantee of success in the future, so enjoy it while you've got it. The whole "touch it/don't touch it" thing turns into a mind game that only hurts you in the end.

There's no hard and fast rule saying that if you touch a lesser trophy than the national championship, that you're somehow satisfied for the season. Those are important milestones that only one team in each conference can get.

Anyway, just my two cents. FlagDUDE, that UConn quip made zero sense.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                    Love seeing everybodys ideas of lines next season. Im thinking Haggerty will be more of a checking line guy. But I do know its gonna be tougher and tougher for coach to decide who ends up on the ice each night. Monday-Thursdays are going to be battles for ice time. Curadi and Leboeuf together would be an interesting pairing just in sheer height alone. I realize the speed issue putting those two together but Dr. D would have the biggest smile on his face with those two together. So many different D combos could be put together. This will make for some fun guessing games come October.
                    Haggerty was fine offensively in Connecticut before going to the USNTDP. Someone has to be on a checking line and he got that assignment at the USNTDP. Didn't JD'A play on a checking line for the Marlies? He didn't have that role at RPI.

Then again, he may get that assignment at RPI.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Haggerty was fine offensively in Connecticut before going to the USNTDP. Someone has to be on a checking line and he got that assignment at the USNTDP. Didn't JD'A play on a checking line for the Marlies? He didn't have that role at RPI.

Then again, he may get that assignment at RPI.
                      JDA played on a checking line during the World Juniors. Look how good it did for him there; he did pretty much jack squat during the tournament.

Coach knows best, though.

Comment

So for this coming up year's exhibition, who do you guys think: Nova Scotia or the Newfies? Might as well fill out the rest of the Maritimes.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          So for this coming up year's exhibition, who do you guys think: Nova Scotia or the Newfies? Might as well fill out the rest of the Maritimes.
                          Nova Scotia in honor of Justin Smith.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

You know what would be cool? Penn State.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Today is 15 April 2011. There are 169 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                                You know what would be cool? Penn State.
                                Just great! Nice way to kick off their program.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X