X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timmah!
    replied
    Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011: There Will be a Title Here Next Season

Just for the heck of it, I looked back to 2006 to see how far Frozen Four participants made it in their own conference tournament (I neglected consolation games). As one would expect, the vast majority of FF teams at least made the final weekend of their tournament. There were several, though, that lost best of 3 early round series.

UMD - WCHA Quarterfinals (F5 play-in)
    Michigan - CCHA Semifinals
    North Dakota - WCHA Champion
    Notre Dame - CCHA Semifinals

BC - HE Champion
    Wisconsin - WCHA Semifinals
    Miami - CCHA Semifinals
    RIT - AH Champion

BU - HE Champion
    Miami - CCHA Quarterfinals (Best of 3)
    Bemidji State - CHA Champion
    Vermont - HE Quarterfinals (Best of 3)

BC - HE Champion
    Notre Dame - CCHA Semifinals
    Michigan - CCHA Champion
    North Dakota - WCHA Semifinals

Michigan State - CCHA Semifinals
    BC - HE Champion
    Maine - HE Quarterfinals (Best of 3)
    North Dakota - WCHA Runner-up

Wisconsin - WCHA Semifinals
    BC - HE Runner-up
    Maine - HE Semifinals
    North Dakota - WCHA Champion

Leave a comment:

• Timmah!
    replied

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
    Thats just a cliche...you have to win when it counts whether its October or May.Putting aside the rpi which I don't understand(I have people for that)I would argue that the games that put us on the map and eventually in the NCAA's were the BU game and the Yale game mid season and early season games.You have to beat good teams that in turn beat other good teams...bottom line...you can't take the chance of catching a go for broke team or a hot goaltender in a 1 and out league tournament...you need a body of work for the entire season to consistantly make the NCAA's.Winnig the league or the playoffs is the small picture,playing a demanding non league schedule and keeping your self in the top 10 or 15 nationally is the BIG PICTURE ! JMO
    I look no further than Miami to see that this is the case. For the last several years they have been a fixture in the NCAA's, but on several occasions they underachieved in CCHA's, including (notably) 2009 where NMU knocked them out of the CCHA quarterfinals. I look for RPI to perenially compete for an at large bid as a sign of growth for the program. As for the ECAC's, the conference tourney success will come as the team improves, but it certainly is not a prerequisite for success in the NCAA's.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Today is 16 May 2011. There are 138 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.

Leave a comment:

• AspyDad
    replied

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
    Thats just a cliche...you have to win when it counts whether its October or May.Putting aside the rpi which I don't understand(I have people for that)I would argue that the games that put us on the map and eventually in the NCAA's were the BU game and the Yale game mid season and early season games.You have to beat good teams that in turn beat other good teams...bottom line...you can't take the chance of catching a go for broke team or a hot goaltender in a 1 and out league tournament...you need a body of work for the entire season to consistantly make the NCAA's.Winnig the league or the playoffs is the small picture,playing a demanding non league schedule and keeping your self in the top 10 or 15 nationally is the BIG PICTURE ! JMO
    Remarkably cogent.

Leave a comment:

• troyboy
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Winning the ECAC, or getting to AC, indicates the ability to win in March. You have to win in March in order to win in April.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Today is 15 May 2011. There are 139 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Winning the ECAC, or getting to AC, indicates the ability to win in March. You have to win in March in order to win in April.
    Go realign the NCAA again.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    I wouldn't waste your time with this bedwetter. ECAC championships are nice but ultimately meaningless given where Seth Appert's sights are set. Let this little whiner whine about a loser trophy for losers.

Leave a comment:

• DrDemento
    replied

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
    My original point, and I believe this is in a similar vein to what Waite21's opinion is, is that we are not satisfied with showing up in the NCAA tournament and getting blown out. Yes, it is a drastic improvement since four years ago when I came to this school and started following the team. The progress that we have seen under Appert's tutelage has been fantastic. Basically, I want to be the team that everyone is scared to play. I'm tired of saying "oh, crap, we're playing Yale / Cornell / Miami / North Dakota this weekend, it's going to suck," I want other teams' fans to say, "crap, we're playing RPI this weekend, it's going to suck." That is clearly the direction we are headed and I believe that a prolonged appearance at the top of the ECAC standings, a solid couple of years in the ECAC tournament, and a couple NCAA wins will put is in that spot.

The progress is real and we are headed in the right direction. That's something that I think most everyone can agree upon.
    Sensible thoughts which I agree with. I do think that we unfortunately drew NDak in the NCAA. I have always felt hockey is a game of match ups and we just could not match up with a team with that much size, speed and experience. We played a pretty darn good first period and were in that game for 20 minutes but depth started to show. Match us up with a lot of the other 16 teams in that tournament and I think we would have fared better. Regardless, we are heading in the right direction and it feels good to be an RPI fan right now and i figure it to feel a whole lot better over the next few years.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Agreed.

Clutch and grab will probably remain until Schafer leaves Cornell. It does seem, however, that more ECAC schools are going to an up tempo game.
    I thought Schafer was a robot built by the combined efforts of The Great Leader and the Great Bear.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Meh, still would have needed four wins. Plus, clutch and grab doesn't prepare us against western teams.
    Agreed.

Clutch and grab will probably remain until Schafer leaves Cornell. It does seem, however, that more ECAC schools are going to an up tempo game.

Leave a comment:

• burgie12
    replied

My original point, and I believe this is in a similar vein to what Waite21's opinion is, is that we are not satisfied with showing up in the NCAA tournament and getting blown out. Yes, it is a drastic improvement since four years ago when I came to this school and started following the team. The progress that we have seen under Appert's tutelage has been fantastic. Basically, I want to be the team that everyone is scared to play. I'm tired of saying "oh, crap, we're playing Yale / Cornell / Miami / North Dakota this weekend, it's going to suck," I want other teams' fans to say, "crap, we're playing RPI this weekend, it's going to suck." That is clearly the direction we are headed and I believe that a prolonged appearance at the top of the ECAC standings, a solid couple of years in the ECAC tournament, and a couple NCAA wins will put us in that spot.

The progress is real and we are headed in the right direction. That's something that I think most everyone can agree upon.
    Last edited by burgie12; 05-14-2011, 03:28 PM. Reason: us, not is

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    But the odds would have been better with the higher seed which we would have had with an ECAC championship.
    Meh, still would have needed four wins. Plus, clutch and grab doesn't prepare us against western teams.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I believe it is still being said that that shouldn't be the goal. We proved this year you can lose in the ECAC tournament in the first round and still have a shot at the national title, and it would have been the exact same shot we would have had if we had won the ECAC championship. Who we played may have been different, but either way, four wins from the national championship.
    But the odds would have been better with the higher seed which we would have had with an ECAC championship.

Leave a comment:

• fishcore12
    replied

If I may quote a 90's rap artist: "Anything less than the best is a felony"....NCAA title or bust.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X