Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 NCAA Selection Show Thread

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    Pretty sure UND has hosted regionals recently in their own arena. Western fans are hysterical. You can all beat your chests until a few Saturdays from now when a team from the East brings home the trophy as usual.
    That last part only applies if your memory only goes back three years. For those of us who have been following the sport longer, we simply know better than to make such stupid claims as that.

Comment

The West regional is going to be very entertaining. Tickets are only $39 for the whole session in an attempt to boost attendance. UNO and Michigan have a history and split at UM this season. Haven't seen BC play but I know CC is a good team so that should be a good game as well.
      Unleash the fury!

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
        That last part only applies if your memory only goes back three years. For those of us who have been following the sport longer, we simply know better than to make such stupid claims as that.
        Hi......I'm Tom!
        Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Waaaah, rinse repeat. Western hockey is so overrated its painful. Expect the same thing again. The only question I have is if Miami lasts long enough to get beat by a Boston team again or if UNH will put them out of their misery early.
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

I'd love to see a 2-of-3 at home format. That could lead to some fantastic home crowds and great games, as well as two excellent super-regionals the next week. However, I doubt the NCAA would let a super-regional weekend happen at the same time as the bouncyball final four.

It's a shame for BC that we have to go west, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. The format is what it is, everyone knows the rules ahead of time. Someone has to pay to host these regionals.
            BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
            -
            Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
              The format is what it is, everyone knows the rules ahead of time. Someone has to pay to host these regionals.
              Why doesn't BC put in a bid? The school has money, and the team is good enough often enough to not pose much of a risk of missing the tournament should they land a regional five years down the line.

Comment

Why doesn't BC put in a bid? The school has money, and the team is good enough often enough to not pose much of a risk of missing the tournament should they land a regional five years down the line.
                the unofficial word is the money goes to hosting b-ball regionals. which is funny since that team is always in danger of missing the dance.

i think its all much ado about nothing. a team with true national title aspirations shouldn't be afraid of going anywhere to play anyone. the people who whine and complain are the people who know its only a matter of time before their team gets knocked out and are hoping for a few moral victories along the way.

if BC gets beat, more power to the team that does it. i hope they go on to win it all.
                “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by unomavfan View Post
                  The West regional is going to be very entertaining. Tickets are only $39 for the whole session in an attempt to boost attendance. UNO and Michigan have a history and split at UM this season. Haven't seen BC play but I know CC is a good team so that should be a good game as well.
                  If you watched last season's Frozen Four, you've seen BC play. Same team, minus the 3rd line and a d-man.
                  'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                    the people who whine and complain are the people who know its only a matter of time before their team gets knocked out and are hoping for a few moral victories along the way.
                    Now that the sites are reasonably neutral, I'd agree with this sentiment. In the past when they were handing out bids to campus sites, it was a different story (just look at home/road records - in the case of BC this season, they've lost seven games, and six of those losses occurred on the road).
                    if BC gets beat, more power to the team that does it. i hope they go on to win it all.
                    Don't worry, your regional isn't being played at Yost; instead, it'll be in a 1/4 full Scottrade Center in the toilet of the middle of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                      Yes, it would be, and is. Having a Regional in an NHL rink is an aberration, and one that I think that the Scottrade Center will regret. I was shocked that they even put in a bid for a regional. You have not only the fact that it will probably be a monetary disaster, but also the NCAA regulations regarding signage, beer sales etc.
                      Blame that on the Saint Louis Sports Commission. Although they say their mission is to attract sport events to St. Louis and the region. It's really just to St. Louis because the neighboring suburban St. Charles County has the 9,000 seat Family Arena; compared to the Scottrade Center which seats a little over 17,000 for ice hockey. St. Charles Family Arena should have been used for the 2011 Ice Breaker Tournament, 2012 Ice Breaker Tournament (before the Sports Commission decided to give it to Grand Forks), and for the West Regional. Still provides an economic boost to St. Louis and the region and puts the events in a smaller facility for a better fan experience and atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by BUhockey24 View Post
                        A few head-scratchers this year. Denver and North Dakota in the same regional bracket, Boston College has to head to St. Louis and UNH and Merrimack as no.2 and 4 seeds play about an hour from school while no. 1 seed Miami has to take a plane to get to their regional.

Not sure how the seedings work I just thought that was kind of interesting.
                        1. Bracket integrity for #2 overall UND vs. #7 overall Denver
                        2. Yale is the host in Bridgeport, so they are automatically the #1 there. UNH was a #4 and is hosting in Manchester. The NCAA doesn't want conference matchups in the first round, so BC had to go west.
                        3. Because BC had to go west, Miami had to come east.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        Unless they figure a way to put the Blues in that bracket, attendance in St Louis will be a black hole.
                        Would have been this way regardless of what they did though.

Originally posted by 5minutemajor View Post
                        LOL!!! I love it. The BC guy says stop whining to the UND guy, but then continues to whine himself. I love it. Poor BC....
                        Turd, the guy you're referring to on here is a BU fan.

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                        I don't recall BU fans complaining all the times they've gotten to play in Worcester because they were hosting.
                        Wait, why would BU fans complain about this?

I guess Worcester would be the ideal place for BC to host, but I'm pretty sure the reason BU doesn't host there anymore is because Worcester wanted it to be associated with a local school...like Holy Cross. So, where would BC host? I don't know how the bid process works anyway. Sure would be nice to host...

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                        the unofficial word is the money goes to hosting b-ball regionals. which is funny since that team is always in danger of missing the dance.
                        True, but whether or not BC makes it is irrelevant really because a host school can't play at their own site. Anyway, I do wonder how much BC makes off hosting...

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
                        Blame that on the Saint Louis Sports Commission. Although they say their mission is to attract sport events to St. Louis and the region. It's really just to St. Louis because the neighboring suburban St. Charles County has the 9,000 seat Family Arena; compared to the Scottrade Center which seats a little over 17,000 for ice hockey. St. Charles Family Arena should have been used for the 2011 Ice Breaker Tournament, 2012 Ice Breaker Tournament (before the Sports Commission decided to give it to Grand Forks), and for the West Regional. Still provides an economic boost to St. Louis and the region and puts the events in a smaller facility for a better fan experience and atmosphere.
                        I thought the Scottrade Center holds over 19,000?

Comment

John Powers summed up my feelings on this perfectly.

BC to St. Louis is Short-sighted
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Wait, why would BU fans complain about this?
                            First of all, I'm not "complaining." I'm just expressing my opinion that the format could be improved. Actually, if you read the article mentioned here you will understand what I was saying (he's a writer so he expressed it more eloquently than I could)

There's really nothing more to say after that...Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              First of all, I'm not "complaining." I'm just expressing my opinion that the format could be improved. Actually, if you read the article mentioned here you will understand what I was saying (he's a writer so he expressed it more eloquently than I could)

There's really nothing more to say after that...Amen.
                              Another piece of misinformation diseminated from Morrissey Boulevard...for Powers, (another uninformed Globe writer,) extrapolates that had BC been in Manchester they would not have had to play North Dakota in the semi-finals, which any college hockey fan with rudimentary knowledge knows is not true.

Comment

Originally posted by pgv View Post
                                Another piece of misinformation diseminated from Morrissey Boulevard...for Powers, (another uninformed Globe writer,) extrapolates that had BC been in Manchester they would not have had to play North Dakota in the semi-finals, which any college hockey fan with rudimentary knowledge knows is not true.
                                Whatever on that. To me, it's all about the 2nd best team in the tournament (I'd argue the best, but the rankings say otherwise.) having to get on a plane while a team that limped into the tournament gets a home game. That's the problem.
                                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X