Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For ECAC Fans: Where Should Our Tournament Be Held?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: For ECAC Fans: Where Should Our Tournament Be Held?

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
    Behind the pole and on the corner. I literally couldn't see the entire north end goal. I guess that's partially our fault though, since RPI had to hire a Clarkson engineer to design the HFH. But seriously, irrespective of the dumb poles, the place is a complete and utter dump. I'm not even sure it could handle the press/media contingent for 4 schools. It looks like they have to expand the press area every time Clarkson is in town. I do, however, like the new suite where section 1 used to be.
    I don't recall any problems for the (no longer yearly) tournament...

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      Standing room is one thing for one game, but even I wouldn't really want to stand through two full games with potentially 20-minute overtimes. And then do it again the next day...
      Do we really believe that under today's conditions (every game is streamed/televised) the ECAC tournament can seriously draw over 3500 again? And, in any event, wouldn't a sell out (with some unsatisfied ticket demand) in a handsome new building be preferable?

Comment

• I'd like to see Providence be given a shot. Albany and AC didn't deliver so it's time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
          Albany had its chance. It failed. The city could have cared less.

Why are people still bringing up Albany?
          Just to **** you off.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Eph72 View Post
            Do we really believe that under today's conditions (every game is streamed/televised) the ECAC tournament can seriously draw over 3500 again? And, in any event, wouldn't a sell out (with some unsatisfied ticket demand) in a handsome new building be preferable?
            Umm...it drew 3500 in AC, so it would definitely sell out Q's rink. I would think ideally you'd like your rink to be sized for about 90% of demand. That should ensure a full rink, good atmosphere, some amount of ticket scarcity, and yet allow most fans willing to put in a little effort the opportunity to find tickets. For a centrally located rink, I would think you'd want at least 5000 seats. A 3500 seat rink would be perfect - if it were in Atlantic City.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              Umm...it drew 3500 in AC, so it would definitely sell out Q's rink. ...
              Do you really think it drew 3500? Or was it 350?

Comment

Probably 1750 per game. Check the box scores to see if the two semifinals have the same attendance figure.

Comment

From Ken Schott's DailyGazette.com blog:

The big question is where does the ECACH go next? Some are suggesting rotating the final four on campus sites. Providence was mentioned last September as being interested. Binghamton, Syracuse and Utica have arenas that would be the right size for the tournament. Maybe the new arena in Brooklyn, which will be home to the NBA's New Jersey Nets, will be a place to consider. And, of course, plenty of fans would love to see the tournament moved back to Lake Placid, where it was from 1993-2002 before moving to Albany.

Speaking of Albany, I bet the Times Union Center would love to have it back, too.

To me, the biggest embarrassment was not having the games televised on television. The only way fans could watch the games was to pay for them through America One.
                  The embarrassment showed itself during Sunday's "NCAA Hockey Tournament Selection Show on ESPNU. There was snippet of a Cornell player. In the opening montage, there was a brief snipped of a Cornell player. There were no highlights of the championship game, either. I guess ESPN didn't want to pay, either.

The only highlights shown came after the East Regional bracket was announced. There were several Union highlights provided by Time Warner Cable Sports-3.

This was a low point for the league. There are some people who think Hagwell should be fired. But remember this, it was the league's athletic directors who told Hagwell to seek a way to get out of Albany. So, they share the blame.

If there is a way the league can buy out the final year of its deal with Atlantic City, do it. It would save the ECACH another possible embarrassment next year.
                  For the full read of Schott's blog, check out: http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...eek-23-atlant/

Comment

Albany Times Union columnist Pete Iorizzo on AC -

http://blog.timesunion.com/pete/meet...o-thanks/1351/

Comment

It felt like 350. I've never seen an emptier rink for a final. Union's fans tried to do their best but there just weren't enough of them to drive out the foggy, damp chill of Atlantic City. It's a depressing, low energy place.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        It felt like 350. I've never seen an emptier rink for a final. Union's fans tried to do their best but there just weren't enough of them to drive out the foggy, damp chill of Atlantic City. It's a depressing, low energy place.
                        I'm shocked the hall didn't try to let the panhandlers in for free. There's enough there to fill the arena, last time I was there.

Comment

I found this "geographic mid-point selector" on the new WCHA thread (they are discussing where their tournament should be held...) and entered the location of our 12 teams to find the geographic midpoint of the ECAC.

Result here: http://www.geomidpoint.com/?ml=42.59...=0&p=1&r=1&w=0

Interesting, but not surprising, result...

Comment

GF looks like a no go

http://saratogian.com/articles/2012/...mode=fullstory

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                              Cross-country is a non-revenue sport!? Well, color me shocked and offended. And not at all surprised.

On a serious note, I'm a little disappointed. I really do think that GF would have been a great choice for the tournament starting in 2014.
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Providence is a fantastic hockey town and the community would support the games. Springfield is another good choice and more middle of the road when it comes to travel.

ECAC needs a host city where there community will show some support, the schools core fans will always travel.

My vote:
                                1. Providence
                                2. Springfield
                                3. Lake Placid

Bottom Line: ECAC must play in hockey cities or town's not at the Jersey Shore.

Not having the ECAC Tournament on TV hurt's the league more than anyone thinks. It will be used against ECAC schools when they recruit. TRUST ME

Has there been anyword from the ECAC on the real reason why there was no TV? Who f'ed up?

Comment

Working...
                                X