Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies Offseason (Discipline: let's find it)

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
    The ice has been laid at Matthews!
    .. cool, now it's happy ice
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

FROM USHR
      Tues. 9/13/11

Huskies Commit a Top 15-Year-Old

Northeastern has a commitment – for ’14 or ’15 -- from 5’6”, 150 lb. LD Daniel Willett of the New Jersey Rockets Jr. B.

A 2/23/96 birthdate from Bayville, Long Island, Willett is a top puck-moving defensemen with superb offensive skills. He puts up great scoring numbers, and his shot from the blue line is very impressive -- deadly accurate and with a lot on it, especially given his size.

At July’s Select 15 Festival in Rochester, NY, we ranked him #6 among all defensemen there. He was the only d-man in our top ten below 6’0” – and he’s way below that, half a foot below to be precise. In five games in Rochester, Willett had a 3-3-6 line, and was the leading scorer among blueliners.

Last season, Willett played on the Long Island Gulls ’96 team that included a host of fine players – Ryan Hitchcock, Sonny Milano, Brandon Fortunato (another small, high-skill d-man), J.J. Piccinich, Brandon Fusaro et al.

Comment

Willett looks like a top prospect, and plays on a top team, Yale committed another 15 year old too the same day from the same team. Hopefully he adds a few inches, but I think he could be a great prospect, and someone who plays more than a year or two with us due to his size.

Comment

A note from Greg Cronin as forwarded to the Friends of NU Hockey:

"Friends of NU Hockey,

I appreciate all of your support over the last six years. When I arrived back home to Boston and NU after a ten year hiatus, the college hockey landscape had changed dramatically. Cell phone, the internet, emails, family advisors and even ATM machines were absent in 1995. I was overwhelmed at times with the pace of life for a college hockey coach, particularly those first six months. I needed to rely on what will always be our great asset: people.

The first two seasons were very challenging for players and fans alike. But we continued to show progress and we were bolstered by the faith you had in us. Without your support, we would not have achieved several proud moments: our first 2nd place finish in Hockey East history, our 25 win season, a trip to the NCAA, 2 trips to the Hockey East Final Four, 2 Beanpot Championship games and the most wins ever over that last 4 year stretch at NU. As I said at the banquet, I really believe that NU is finally getting a glimpse of what can be done.

When I arrived in 2005, I asked the people in power one question: Can you sustain a high level of success here at NU? The answers were all conditional. IF we built a better facility. IF we increase the budgets. IF we get bigger crowds. Well, we were able to get these “keys”. If we weren’t so injured the last few years, I really felt we would have had more wins, and more success to sustain the 2008 season. Regardless, we battled and had a few almost: the Beanpot Championship and BC in the Semi’s.

The resurrection of the Friends of NU Hockey was one of the biggest blessings over the last five years. Its ability to manage meetings, host events and drum up alumni support is critical. George and Louise donate a ton of time and effort while Presidents Jim Averill, Craig Frank and Chuck Marshall have given us leadership and guidance. I am sure Jim Madigan’s fund raising and development skills will strengthen the function of the Friends Group.

I am sad to leave. NU has become a family to me. I have a profound appreciation for the faith you placed in me. When we went 3-24 that first year, I heard plenty of hecklers in the crowd (from a very small population of fans!), but I always knew that when I walked into the Makris Lounge, I had friends and supporters offering encouragement. You have no idea how inspiring that was for me.

I can leave NU knowing that over the last six years, my staff gave it their ALL: Albie,Sebastian, Mark, JB, Matt, Dan, Matt Nareski, Bob Saunders, John Carratu, Joe Santilli, Brendan Flynn, Shawn McEachern, Brendan Walsh, and Gene Reilly. The last few years we had no turnover in staff, which was awesome. Albie, Seb, JB, Mark and Matt were with hockey exclusively, and it made us a very efficient group. We worked very well together and were committing great recruiting classes. These recruits reflect my question of six years ago: can you sustainsuccess at NU? We think that this group and the next to follow, would have built off of the most recent class of Jamie and Anthony etc.

I hope we can all support Jim Madigan and the team as I move on to Toronto, Albie to Harvard and Sebastian to Houston. I know that there have been some defections since we left but I am confident WE can get through it. Northeastern is a great place.

-Greg Cronin"
          Celebrating 20 Years of TheDogHouse

Comment

Sounds fine.. (as fine as these types of departures can sound)..
            2 wks until the exhibition gm.. let's move on.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
              Sounds fine.. (as fine as these types of departures can sound)..
              2 wks until the exhibition gm.. let's move on.
              agreed. thought it brought a final closure to the situation. 11 days away from some hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies of NU View Post
                http://gonu.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey

They released the '11-'12 roster today.
                Anybody else remember when there were college players whose "Previous team" was a high school?

Comment

There are a select (rare).. other than that; most programs ask that kids go the Junior route for a year or two before stepping on D1 ice.
                  Nature of the beast.
                  GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies76 View Post
                    Anybody else remember when there were college players whose "Previous team" was a high school?
                    Sure do. And when a kid went off to Prep School for a year or two, it was usually because he was slow on the academic side of things. Times really have changed.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

The Sunday exhibition gm (10/2)... its listed in various NU guides (web) at 7pm as well as 2pm..
                      well, which is it? Any info appreciated. thnks
                      GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

It's 2pm, you can get tickets for it now online. Got mine already.

Comment

i am traveling right now.. but i am hoping when i get home, i have my season tickets in the mailbox.
                          Been waiting on them a while.. but you make a good point, i should just print them online. Thnks for info on the time.
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Purchased tickets today in section 113 for the weekend at Notre Dame. I was able to get them on Stub Hub, however the ND athletics website has tickets available and I believe the Northeastern box office should have some as well (they usually get an allotment for away games). Hope to see a few other Northeastern jerseys out there.

Comment

season thread, http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...98#post5212898
                              Arenas Attended
                              Matthews Arena
                              Agganis Arena
                              Tsongas Arena
                              Lawler Arena
                              Schneider Arena
                              Mullins Center
                              TD Banknorth Garden
                              Conte Forum
                              Whittemore Center
                              Gutterson Fieldhouse
                              Alfond Arena