X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XVIII - Belief in a Better Tomorrow

Originally posted by diddlypoo View Post
    I've looked over the last couple of pages, and haven't noticed a specific discussion about this article from Oates of the WSJ regarding the implications of the BTHC.

http://host.madison.com/sports/colum...cc4c002e0.html

Monday and Wednesday night hockey? Seriously? This is where I start to lose faith in the revenue enhancement for the programs. For UW, I could easily see season ticket sales reductions, and see attendance in the 6-7K range for midweek games. Why risk losing the base of your admittedly niche sport? I find it hard to believe that TV revenue could make that up.
    My favorite quote:
    Originally posted by Tom Oates
    No one knows if the Big Ten will be good or bad for college hockey in the long run, but it is clear so far that the conference is stepping on some toes. It would behoove the leaders of the Big Ten — and especially UW — to tread a little more lightly during this process.
    Like that is going to happen, the athletic department is just going to ride roughshod over any one or anything that gets in the way way of them potentially making one more dollar.

Comment

Monday and Wednesday night hockey? Seriously? This is where I start to lose faith in the revenue enhancement for the programs. For UW, I could easily see season ticket sales reductions, and see attendance in the 6-7K range for midweek games. Why risk losing the base of your admittedly niche sport? I find it hard to believe that TV revenue could make that up.
      Weeknight games will hurt attendance, but if the B11 can net decent tv ratings and make money on the broadcast, they won't care that the KC is half empty (even though the fans, players and coaches will). It's rather sad sports in general have become so obscessed with $$$$$$$$$$ and are really indifferent to the fans. The TV money means more than the fans do. The fact this is happening in college sports really pizzes me off.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I've looked over the last couple of pages, and haven't noticed a specific discussion about this article from Oates of the WSJ regarding the implications of the BTHC.

The article says each team was asked to play two Monday games. More than likely meaning one home and one road. Do you seriously think 1 home game on a Monday is going to risk losing the fan base? I highly doubt it and if it does you're a pretty awesome fan.

A lot of people complained about Monday night football too...that seemed to work out ok. Personally I think it will be pretty sweet to have a Monday night or Wednesday night Big 10 game on the BTN to look forward to all season. The more college hockey on television the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          The article says each team was asked to play two Monday games. More than likely meaning one home and one road. Do you seriously think 1 home game on a Monday is going to risk losing the fan base? I highly doubt it and if it does you're a pretty awesome fan.

A lot of people complained about Monday night football too...that seemed to work out ok. Personally I think it will be pretty sweet to have a Monday night or Wednesday night Big 10 game on the BTN to look forward to all season. The more college hockey on television the better.
          IT may not hurt season ticket sales, but I suspect that it will hurt single games sales and decrease ticket usage, but who cares what the cost is in terms of fan accessibility and tradition as long as the bottom line grows.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
            IT may not hurt season ticket sales, but I suspect that it will hurt single games sales and decrease ticket usage, but who cares what the cost is in terms of fan accessibility and tradition as long as the bottom line grows.
            Hurt single game sales for...a single game. If people are that would up about one Monday game then they probably have more serious issues.

Comment

Hurt single game sales for...a single game. If people are that would up about one Monday game then they probably have more serious issues.
              I actually LIKE the idea of a Monday game or two and wish others across the country would follow suit. The worst thing for me about college hockey is not being able to see other games because ALL of the games (for the most part) are played on the same two nights, which overlap with the Badgers.

I would LOVE a Maine v. New Hampshire game on NESN on a Tuesday night. Not gonna happen, but I can dream...

Comment

It starts with a single Monday home game, then a single Wedensday home game, and the next thing you know someone is playing on every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday (cause hockey can't interfere with Saturday basketball).

This isn't going to stop with one Monday game for each team, anyone with half a brain knows that.

Comment

It starts with a single Monday home game, then a single Wedensday home game, and the next thing you know someone is playing on every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday (cause hockey can't interfere with Saturday basketball).

This isn't going to stop with one Monday game for each team, anyone with half a brain knows that.
                  I agree w/you almington and this is really an unfortunate turn of events. first the conference then this dumb idea. no monday game (pre-January at least) is going to come close to selling out, I mean you're competing against the NFL? how dumb are these guys?

wednesday *might* work if it does for basketball, but of course, hockey will have to cede EVERYTHING about their schedule to basketball, ugh.

to the point about money, UW hockey makes MORE than enough money as is w/no changes in conference or game dates. Alvarez and his ilk need to learn that what sucks about football and turned me off and many many others is the whole $>integrity issue that these big-time AD's and college football coaches have.

next AD....Tony Granato, please for the effing love of god. Alvarez is making me despise UW football and I don't want to
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    Alvarez is making me despise UW football and I don't want to
                    Alzarez is turning me off to UW athletics in general, silly me expecting organizations that I support to value integrity over money.

Comment

It's stuff like this that makes me sad for the future of Wisconsin hockey. What next? Shootouts? Yeah, probably shootouts.

I bet people used to think that football on Thursday nights was a cute little novelty, and now its a home game that's practically taken away from the fans to appease the TV folks. (And wallets, I guess, if there's any truth to the Thursday primetime games actually earning more TV money)

This isn't a slippery slope. It's a **** waterslide.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Jake Dowell to the Stars, Piskula to the Flames.

http://www.nbc15.com/sports/headline...124881584.html

Good for them, and best of luck in their new surroundings.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          I agree w/you almington and this is really an unfortunate turn of events. first the conference then this dumb idea. no monday game (pre-January at least) is going to come close to selling out, I mean you're competing against the NFL? how dumb are these guys?

wednesday *might* work if it does for basketball, but of course, hockey will have to cede EVERYTHING about their schedule to basketball, ugh.

to the point about money, UW hockey makes MORE than enough money as is w/no changes in conference or game dates. Alvarez and his ilk need to learn that what sucks about football and turned me off and many many others is the whole $>integrity issue that these big-time AD's and college football coaches have.

next AD....Tony Granato, please for the effing love of god. Alvarez is making me despise UW football and I don't want to
                          The article mentions that the BT plans to structure the hockey conference schedule similar to basketball -- conference games start after the new year.

So thus a) they won't be competing with MNF, and b) after MNF ends, we get a great alternative to basketball on Monday nights: a quality college hockey matchup, sometimes involving the Badgers. Sounds pretty sweet, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by davearm View Post
                            The article mentions that the BT plans to structure the hockey conference schedule similar to basketball -- conference games start after the new year.
                            That is stupid too. Now instead of enjoying watching the race for the conference championship develop over the whole season, it gets condensed into half of it. Now all the Oct/Nov/Dec games are essentially just preseason games. That doesn't create a lot of juice for the first half of the season. The more details that emerge, the more it looks like a buch of yahoos who know nothing about hockey are running hockey. Are they going to use pucks in the games or some sort of ball?

I agree with solovfett, BA is making me despise football, and I want to just enjoy it.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I agree with solovfett, BA is making me despise football, and I want to just enjoy it.
                              I think I missed something. So you guys are starting to dislike Badger football because of the changes that are happening to the hockey program, changes which you attribute mostly to Alvarez?

Alvarez has been out front and vocal about the B10HC, but it's awfully simplistic to think that he made it happen or even that he's the main reason that it happened.

There were a lot of moving parts, some with more power and influence than our beloved AD, who contributed to the current state of affairs.

What's next, avoiding restaurants that Barry frequents or avoiding the area that he lives (assuming of course that you can get past the gate )?

If you want to hate on football, do it because of the coke-snorting, late-night partying, wind-breaker wearing, redneck, dumb-*** CURRENT head coach.

Me? I separate all things as much as possible and am an 18 year season ticket holder for football and hope this new QB lives up to his potential.
                              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-02-2011, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                I think I missed something. So you guys are starting to dislike Badger football because of the changes that are happening to the hockey program, changes which you attribute mostly to Alvarez?

Alvarez has been out front and vocal about the B10HC, but it's awfully simplistic to think that he made it happen or even that he's the main reason that it happened.

There were a lot of moving parts, some with more power and influence than our beloved AD, who contributed to the current state of affairs.
                                True though that may be, Alvarez has been the most outspoken proponent of the BTHC, so all the derision towards him is sort of the side effect that comes from being so open about this being everything that he's been pushing for whenever he opens his mouth on the subject to Oates, Baggott or anyone else in the media.

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                Me? I separate all things as much as possible and am an 18 year season ticket holder for football and hope this new QB lives up to his potential.
                                ... as long as we didn't pay him...

Comment

Working...
                                X