This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XVIII - Belief in a Better Tomorrow

So is anyone else as annoyed as I am about the changes in parking policy for the upcoming season? It was bad enough when parking in the Alexander lot went from $5 to $10 in a year, and then to $15 the year after that. Now we have to re-apply annually for our parking permit, and it too will be based on how much cash we hand over to the athletic department. Sorry, but in the third level seats I don't make a contribution to the Badger Fund. I should also point out that there's a little check box on your ticket application that you must check if you are "interested in maintaining" your current seats and parking. I can't find my 2010 renewal form, but it certainly wasn't on the 2009 form. I hope others are on their toes and remember to check the box. I almost missed it myself. All I can say is that after 35 years, the money grab by the athletic department is getting pretty close to the limit I'm willing to tolerate.
    "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

I'm done with season tickets. My dad had them from 1974 until 2003, when I took over. Their policies and continually crappier schedule (IMO) finally pushed us over the edge. I still love the Badgers as much as ever, but I'm at a point where I'd just assume get individual tickets to a few games per year, and spend some of the saved money going to a couple Blackhawks games a year or something. Since they moved to the KC it's been getting worse every year.

Comment

Originally posted by aktick View Post
        I'm done with season tickets. My dad had them from 1974 until 2003, when I took over. Their policies and continually crappier schedule (IMO) finally pushed us over the edge. I still love the Badgers as much as ever, but I'm at a point where I'd just assume get individual tickets to a few games per year, and spend some of the saved money going to a couple Blackhawks games a year or something. Since they moved to the KC it's been getting worse every year.
        Other than the dilution of the WCHA schedule through expansion, the composition of the NC schedule hasn't really changed much the last few years. UW's desire for NC home games will always limit who they are able to bring in for games and has for years. The change in the showdown and showcase might give the appearance that the schedule has gone downhill significantly.

The larger polices of the athletic department are, more or less, incompetent and indefensible.

Comment

Originally posted by aktick View Post
          Yeah right. The money saved might get you one Hawks game. Talk about getting priced out. I just can't stomach $300 anymore to take my son to ONE Hawks game.

I used to be able to buy a couple of Hawks games a season in the 200's for $65 a seat. Now with all of those seats sold before the general public onsale, you have to buy those seats from scalpers.

Yeah, we could sit in row 15 of the 300's at the UC for $200, but I'd rather watch it on my big screen than that.

I think that Badger hockey is still a pretty good value and it's ten minutes from my house. I'm not thrilled about the change in parking costs, but what're ya gonna do? There are ways to park for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            I'm not thrilled about the change in parking costs, but what're ya gonna do? There are ways to park for free.
            Of course, the walk is a little longer in those cases. Most of the lots on the west side of campus are open to public parking after 4:30 on Friday and all day for non-football Saturdays.

Comment

Yeah right. The money saved might get you one Hawks game. Talk about getting priced out. I just can't stomach $300 anymore to take my son to ONE Hawks game.

I used to be able to buy a couple of Hawks games a season in the 200's for $65 a seat. Now with all of those seats sold before the general public onsale, you have to buy those seats from scalpers.

Yeah, we could sit in row 15 of the 300's at the UC for $200, but I'd rather watch it on my big screen than that.

I think that Badger hockey is still a pretty good value and it's ten minutes from my house. I'm not thrilled about the change in parking costs, but what're ya gonna do? There are ways to park for free.
              I'm also 2 hours from Madison now, so the driving distance to Chicago isn't much different for me. It also helps that I know a few Hawks season ticket holders, so I can get seats in the 200s for face value. But I agree if you're trying to take a family to a game, it's definitely much cheaper to go to a Badger game.

I'd also like to start making a road trip once in a while to watch the Badgers, so there's another place my season ticket money could go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Just wait until the Hawks aren't as competitive, then they won't be able to give away tickets again.

Comment

Pretty favorable schedule dont you think?

Comment

No. They are playing the toughtest teams early in the season at home. Even though home games abound it takes a good half season for the freshman to get it and learn the approach from the head coach. His systems take some time. Freshman also hit a wall in the second half as they did last season. They need to get as many points early as they can. That said, if they do well early they can have a good year. The late scedule on the road will not be easy. Remember we have freshman in goal.

Comment

25-9. I am on Nyquil PM though.

Comment

Give me some of that Nyquil PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RonWolf View Post
                          25-9. I am on Nyquil PM though.
                          Easy on the purple drank.

Comment

Captains Named

Co-Captains - Craig Smith and John Ramage
                            Asst Captains - Justin Schultz and Ryan Little

http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/...cc4c002e0.html

Comment

Amen to that. As much as I love the Blackhawks, I'll spend my money on Badgers, Admirals or Icehogs tickets before I spend the $300 to go see the Hawks. The NHL isnt so great that its worth spending 10x as much money for a ticket.
                              This past spring I went to the Admirals/Icehogs game in Rockford and for a seat at center ice 3 rows off the glass I think it cost me $35. Not bad to see a bunch of players who are on the verge of getting called up to the NHL.
                              As much as people complain about all the BS and little fees associated with Badger hockey, the simple fact is that for the quality of hockey that you see, its a great value. You could buy a season ticket for what 1 NHL game would cost.
                              A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                              Originally posted by MadCityRich
                              He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                              Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                              Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                              "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                                With this "incredible" depth and being led by two Hobey candidates in Smith and Schultz, what are you UW fans expecting for next season in terms of the WCHA and NCAA's? Those two players could carry the team far, but the WCHA should be the toughest league with 8 teams going for five NCAA spots.

DU
                                CC
                                NoDak
                                UW
                                UNO
                                UMD
                                MN
                                SC
                                Im sure most of us are expecting nothing less than another NCAA championship. Thats what we've come to expect as Badger fans. Winning the WCHA, getting an NCAA bid and making the Frozen Four would be a heck of a season though, especially with how young and inexperience the Badgers will be.
                                Im just hoping that our freshman goalie can adjust to D1 college hockey quickly because no team in the WCHA is going to cut him any slack whatsoever.
                                A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                                Originally posted by MadCityRich
                                He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                                Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                                Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                                Originally posted by Timothy A
                                I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                                "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Working...
                                X