2011 Alaska Nanook Offseason: Wake Me Up When September Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Not hockey related, but Clem Johnson appears to be headed to Florida A&M. Probably a blessing in disguise for our basketball program.
    'Nooks have hired Mick Durham, by way of Montana State and New Mexico State, as our new head men's BB coach. Sounds like a strong hire. Interesting that Tim Moser (UAA's women's coach) also applied for that job but withdrew from consideration last week.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Re: 2011 Alaska Nanook Offseason: Wake Me Up When September Ends

Really disappointed to see that Brian Meisner just interviewed for the assistant coach opening at UMD. He didn't get it. I think he's been great at Alaska, and would certainly understand him leaving for a head coach position elsewhere . . . but to take an equivalent position? He's from Minnesota, so that may have been a factor. Still, this is sad. If he stays with us for the 11-12 season, I hope he's happy here. Anyone know more?

Comment

Originally posted by Wondering View Post
        Really disappointed to see that Brian Meisner just interviewed for the assistant coach opening at UMD. He didn't get it. I think he's been great at Alaska, and would certainly understand him leaving for a head coach position elsewhere . . . but to take an equivalent position? He's from Minnesota, so that may have been a factor. Still, this is sad. If he stays with us for the 11-12 season, I hope he's happy here. Anyone know more?
        An equivalent position? I think not! He'd be going to the WCHA!!
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
          Suze is right. Assistant coaching positions are so prestigious in the WCHA that they have been known to attract head coaches from struggling wanna-be programs...even from with-in.

My apologies for the weak effort. There's a better joke/dig in there somewhere but I'm not in mid-season "posting" form. The off-season sucks.

The silence is deafening around here with regard to any hockey news. Anything? Some fan bases have closed their first season thread, we're still trying to drop to page two. Makes me yearn for the good ol' days of "Doc" (just kidding).

Regarding our assistant coaches. There is probably little chance that the Nook head coach position opens up in the foreseeable future. They certainly know that. Plus, I would assume that working under different coaches, systems, and within different recruiting circles makes an assistant that much more valuable and prepared for the next level.

It would probably benefit our program to pick up an assistant coach with some new, radical ideas...like scoring. I know nothing about either assistant coach or what their responsibilities are. Both seem competent and professional. Personally, I would occasionally like to see a little more emotion from the bench, from someone. Not over the top, just a bit more inspiring at times.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
            Suze is right. Assistant coaching positions are so prestigious in the WCHA that they have been known to attract head coaches from struggling wanna-be programs...even from with-in.
            And that turned out so well, didn't it?
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
              With the Big 10 on its way, we may all be in the same league in a few years anyway!

Comment

Regarding our assistant coaches. There is probably little chance that the Nook head coach position opens up in the foreseeable future. They certainly know that. Plus, I would assume that working under different coaches, systems, and within different recruiting circles makes an assistant that much more valuable and prepared for the next level.

It would probably benefit our program to pick up an assistant coach with some new, radical ideas...like scoring. I know nothing about either assistant coach or what their responsibilities are. Both seem competent and professional. Personally, I would occasionally like to see a little more emotion from the bench, from someone. Not over the top, just a bit more inspiring at times.
                Valid points. Plus, I'd forgotten that UM-D won the national championship last year, which certainly makes it appealing.

I've taken UAF's hockey class several times with both assistant coaches. As a teacher, Brian is easygoing, personable and good at explaining things. I trust his integrity, which is one reason I'd hate to lose him. Lance is intense and knows a lot about hockey theory. He'll say, "The Red Wings use a system where . . . " or "Teams used to emphasize such-and-such, but the game has changed and now we do this-and-that." I don't know how much this all carries over to coaching the Nanooks, but I'm confident they both have a lot to offer. (And Lance can be pretty blunt -- he may look stoic on the bench, but I'd bet he's not always calm and cheery in the locker room! Just a guess.}

Comment

Dang, I go to get married and my thread comes back from the dead. Other than hiring a new basketball coach it's been flat calm in Nanook-land.

But on the bright side, my sister-in-law made me a grooms cake of the inflatable Nanook bear at the Carlson Center. Whenever I get somebody to send me a picture of it I'll put it up on here.
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Congratulations Squarebanks!...and to Mrs. Squarebanks.

We're not exactly burning up the boards, which is probably for the better. Off-season news is usually not of the good variety. It usually originates in the blotter.

And besides, there's enough scuttle-butt about realignment plans to keep us all entertained.

I doubt anybody knows what will shake out, but the powers that be appear to have known for some time for the potential for huge (bigger than just the addition of the B10) changes to the college hockey landscape.

I'm not even a conspiratorist, but all this makes the UAH rejection, the MSU coaching hire, and the CCHA "shootout" rule more understandable. OK, I take back the "shootout" thing. Nothing about that still makes sense.

Comment

Congratulations Squarebanks!...and to Mrs. Squarebanks.
                      Thanks!

Looks like Nanook alum Tyler Eckford signed a one year deal with Phoenix over the weekend.

Comment

Coach Ferguson has signed an extension through 2016.

In other news, North Dakota and Denver can suck a fat one.

Comment

Article about the upcoming renovation to the Carlson Center:

http://alaskananooks.com/news/2011/7...x?path=mhockey

Comment

I am not getting any warm fuzzies about our chances of getting into the WCHA. Initial rumors seemed to have evaporated completely, and nary a comment can be found that says we are still being considered. There are a lot of positives for both us and the conference to be included, but other teams could also make arguments.

What I fear is that the WCHA accepts NMU, and stays at six until they see what ND & Western are doing and maybe even longer. ND is not in their future, but ND's decision will impact Western's status. I don't believe they will stay at six or even seven teams, but no long-term decision will just pro-long the agony and upheaval.

I guess we may know a little more tomorrow.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Anybody catch Forrest's interview on KFBX this morning? Curious if any new tidbits came from it.

I sure hope Forrest and the administration are pushing for the WCHA. A re-tooled (and more eastern-centric) CCHA is not in our best interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                                Anybody catch Forrest's interview on KFBX this morning? Curious if any new tidbits came from it.

I sure hope Forrest and the administration are pushing for the WCHA. A re-tooled (and more eastern-centric) CCHA is not in our best interest.
                                Forrest said a lot ton today, but basically said nothing. He is staring to sound like a politician.
                                “The process is very fluid, and these dynamics of conference realignment continue to influence our decisions,” UAF athletic director Forrest Karr, during a telephone interview Thursday night, said after hearing about Northern Michigan’s plans.
                                What the hell does that mean?!?!?!?!? A bunch of words without substance! Forrest has been slow concerning some other issues over the last few years (admitted by him), so as much as I like the guy (he is a darn nice guy), I'm not feeling all that comfortable with him leading our way right now. All I got to say is that Forrest better not be the last man standing when everything shakes out. I hope he proves me wrong. I also don't get all of the secrecy with what UAF is looking at doing. It’s actually a little annoying. They can say who you are talking to, and give a good idea of what they are trying to do with the program without starting rumors, or making commitments. It’s a public university, and we have the right to know. It’s like Forrest is guarding a national secrete or something. We have a sound and well supported club. We locked down Fergie until 2016, and are pumping 3.5 mil in the CC. Good stuff happening for a good program. I have a preference where we end up, but at the end of the day, I just want my college hockey. Things will start to shake out in the next couple weeks from what I hear!
                                All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

Working...
                                X