This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Please ignore if not interested in Women's Basketball, but Maine has finished their search and hired a new coach. Details from the President of Friends of Maine Women's Basketball follow:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Friends Members,

I have received word that The University of Maine has hired our Women's Basketball Coach. I spoke to Emily Ellis who worked so diligently on the Search Committee. Emily shared how impressed she was with the overall committee process and indicated that the search effort was both intense and well done. She is thrilled with the results and if her voice was any indicator, she is very excited about the hire. She is really looking forward for everyone to meet the new Coach.

I had the opportunity to meet with both candidates and spend some time with both of them. I share Emily’s excitement about the hire and I can't wait for you to meet our new Coach. We have been blessed with many successful and special chapters in the history of UMaine Women's Basketball and I believe this next Chapter will be very exciting!

A Press Conference will be held at the Pit Tuesday, 5/10/11 at 4PM to introduce the new Head Coach for Women’s Basketball. A Meet and Greet the Coach will follow the Press Conference, also at the Pit. We hope many of you will be able to attend to extend a warm Maine welcome to our new Coach. Please RSVP to Linda Thayer at 581-1052.

GO BLACK BEARS!!!!!

Maria
    Go Big Red.

Comment

Great - the coach's name is........."New Coach"

Comment

Originally posted by john g View Post
        Great - the coach's name is........."New Coach"
        BARRON NAMED UMAINE BASKETBALL COACH

ORONO -- Richard Barron (http://www.gopack.com/sports/w-baskb...richard00.html) has been named head coach of the University of Maine women's basketball team. Currently a North Carolina State women's basketball assistant coach, Barron was
        chosen following a national search.

"Coach Barron brings a remarkable combination of experience, vision and energy to the University of Maine," says Athletic Director Steve Abbott. "He exemplifies all the characteristics we were looking for in a head coach, particularly a track
        record of success at top-quality academic institutions competing at the Division I level."

Barron will travel to UMaine for a Tuesday news conference and opportunity to meet with fans community members. Members of the community are invited to that event, scheduled for 4 p.m. Tuesday at UMaine's Memorial Gym.

Barron has been on Kellie Harper's North Carolina State staff for two years, following a two-year stint as associate head coach and recruiting coordinator at Baylor, one of the top women's basketball programs in the country. He also spent six years
        as head coach at Princeton, where his Tigers team won the 2006 Ivy League championship.

A Kenyon College graduate, Barron is married and has three children. His wife, Maureen, is a former Princeton softball coach.

UMaine had more than 70 candidates for the position. Abbott noted his appreciation for the outstanding work of the search committee, chaired by retired UMaine Dean Robert Cobb.

Barron's annual salary will be $110,000, contingent on approval by University of Maine System Chancellor Richard Pattenaude.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky T. Badger View Post
          Please ignore if not interested in Women's Basketball, but Maine has finished their search and hired a new coach. Details from the President of Friends of Maine Women's Basketball follow:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Friends Members,

I have received word that The University of Maine has hired our Women's Basketball Coach. I spoke to Emily Ellis who worked so diligently on the Search Committee. Emily shared how impressed she was with the overall committee process and indicated that the search effort was both intense and well done. She is thrilled with the results and if her voice was any indicator, she is very excited about the hire. She is really looking forward for everyone to meet the new Coach.

I had the opportunity to meet with both candidates and spend some time with both of them. I share Emily’s excitement about the hire and I can't wait for you to meet our new Coach. We have been blessed with many successful and special chapters in the history of UMaine Women's Basketball and I believe this next Chapter will be very exciting!

A Press Conference will be held at the Pit Tuesday, 5/10/11 at 4PM to introduce the new Head Coach for Women’s Basketball. A Meet and Greet the Coach will follow the Press Conference, also at the Pit. We hope many of you will be able to attend to extend a warm Maine welcome to our new Coach. Please RSVP to Linda Thayer at 581-1052.

GO BLACK BEARS!!!!!

Maria
          I hope Emily is more honest with her coaching opinions then her real estate deals.

Comment

Here is the HL I made of Spencer Abbott

Hope the guy who said he has no vision, and isn't a good passer watches it hahahahah.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweeper View Post
              Here is the HL I made of Spencer Abbott

Hope the guy who said he has no vision, and isn't a good passer watches it hahahahah.
              your brother is a good player Matt.

Comment

Abbott is the best of the returning forwards without a doubt,IMO...Heck,he was probably in Maine's top-three as a freshman.

He understands time and space;knows when to hurry and when to wait.I expect him to be an NHL guy,and quite possibly a better scorer than Teddy at that level.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  Abbott is the best of the returning forwards without a doubt,IMO...Heck,he was probably in Maine's top-three as a freshman.

He understands time and space;knows when to hurry and when to wait.I expect him to be an NHL guy,and quite possibly a better scorer than Teddy at that level.
                  Abbott is a good player,and will be one of the players needed to score...my only question with this years team is who will dish the puck to the likes of Abbott/Flynn/Beattie and Diamond..? Plus one spot I hope Abbott does not man..is the point on the power-play,he has a glaring weakness to turn the puck over which resulted in shorthanded goals.

Comment

Jim Montgomerys' team,The Dubuque Fighting Saints have made it to the USHL's Clark Cup Finals vs. Green Bay...the series a best 3 out 5 begins in Green Bay on Friday May 13th...good job by Montgomery...he is earning his stripes...volunteer coach at Notre Dame under Jeff Jackson/Asst Coach and recruiting for 3 years @ RPI and now Coach and GM with a Expansion team in the USHL...1st year wins West Div. Regular season Title....bolds well for when a Div.1 Team comes knocking at his door...imo he'll be behind a Div.1 Bench in 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                      your brother is a good player Matt.
                      whos matt?

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                      Abbott is a good player,and will be one of the players needed to score...my only question with this years team is who will dish the puck to the likes of Abbott/Flynn/Beattie and Diamond..? Plus one spot I hope Abbott does not man..is the point on the power-play,he has a glaring weakness to turn the puck over which resulted in shorthanded goals.
                      I assume it will be Abbott/Flynn/Beattie with maybe Abbott at Center. But I highly disagree, listen the the leafs scout "he runs a great pp" He scored a pile of goals there, and most the turnovers in my opinion were blocked shots by other D.
                      Last edited by Sweeper; 05-10-2011, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Fishing a bit, but anyone have any dirt on whats up with Gus and the Sweedish national team? Little surprised hes not getting a sniff at world what with Kreider and others getting a go on Team USA. That and him never making a WJC makes you wonder if its politics or a rift or what.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

That would surprise me. Abbott doesn't have Teddy's height, reach, or speed. Don't get me wrong, I love Abbott's game, but I don't know if it translates at the NHL level like Purcell.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweeper View Post
                            whos matt?

I assume it will be Abbott/Flynn/Beattie with maybe Abbott at Center. But I highly disagree, listen the the leafs scout "he runs a great pp" He scored a pile of goals there, and most the turnovers in my opinion were blocked shots by other D.
                            He would be better on the pp as a shooter down by the faceoff dots and slot area...use him at times at the point but I saw him at all the home games and a few on the road and this is just imo that he had tough times when pressured at the point. And with the who gets the puck,I meant who will be the play-makers to get the puck to the scorers...and the prime scorers imo are Flynn,Abbott,Beattie and Diamond who is usually down and dirty in front of the net....either way it was more or less constructive talk in a postive way about Abbott.

Comment

The new Womens BBall coach has no ties to Maine but said he liked Lobster and College Hockey, should fit right in
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I guess he knows his audience, Wally.
                                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                                X