X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    The new Womens BBall coach has no ties to Maine but said he liked Lobster and College Hockey, should fit right in
    Well, except for the liking hockey part.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
      He would be better on the pp as a shooter down by the faceoff dots and slot area...use him at times at the point but I saw him at all the home games and a few on the road and this is just imo that he had tough times when pressured at the point. And with the who gets the puck,I meant who will be the play-makers to get the puck to the scorers...and the prime scorers imo are Flynn,Abbott,Beattie and Diamond who is usually down and dirty in front of the net....either way it was more or less constructive talk in a postive way about Abbott.
      agreed, they would have to set him up off the circle then for a 1t imo. All depends on what d is gonna step up then to play with Will. Diamond will be really effective if the coaches can get his head on straight, and use him to draw penalties, not take twice as many lol.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        Fishing a bit, but anyone have any dirt on whats up with Gus and the Sweedish national team? Little surprised hes not getting a sniff at world what with Kreider and others getting a go on Team USA. That and him never making a WJC makes you wonder if its politics or a rift or what.
        Could it have something to do with DET still being alive? Like, if five DET forwards eat the tainted fish on the plane ride back from San Jose, he might be needed?

Comment

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
          That would surprise me. Abbott doesn't have Teddy's height, reach, or speed. Don't get me wrong, I love Abbott's game, but I don't know if it translates at the NHL level like Purcell.
          (Neither did PK,aside from the speed factor.)

I like the way the kid can slow the game down and let the openings develop,as opposed to trying to force the issue when nothing is in front of him.

I might well be 100% wrong about Abbott at the next level,but he's the closest thing we have to a sniper right now,and I think he'll fare well in the right system when he moves up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweeper View Post
            agreed, they would have to set him up off the circle then for a 1t imo. All depends on what d is gonna step up then to play with Will. Diamond will be really effective if the coaches can get his head on straight, and use him to draw penalties, not take twice as many lol.
            I think you'll see that Diamond realizes he worth more to Maine on the ice instead of in the box,kinda like Prestin Ryan...took a few years to get in their heads that they can use their reputation to bait the other teams into taking those dumb penalty's...and both should know that as they spent enough time in the box that it could have been their dorm room.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              (Neither did PK,aside from the speed factor.)

I like the way the kid can slow the game down and let the openings develop,as opposed to trying to force the issue when nothing is in front of him.

I might well be 100% wrong about Abbott at the next level,but he's the closest thing we have to a sniper right now,and I think he'll fare well in the right system when he moves up.
              Don't forget Flynn...both he and Abbott will be counted on to do the bulk of Maine's scoring this upcomong season...Flynn is a streaky scorer. With that said this team will have to have everyone chip in as imo the scoring will be hard to come by.

Comment

A must win victory for the Red Wings last night. Exciting game to watch with the atmosphere being "electric" at Joe Lewis Arena. Jimmy Howard was outstanding. Detroit has rebounded from a 3-0 deficit in games and now returns to San Jose for game 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  Abbott is the best of the returning forwards without a doubt,IMO...Heck,he was probably in Maine's top-three as a freshman.

He understands time and space;knows when to hurry and when to wait.I expect him to be an NHL guy,and quite possibly a better scorer than Teddy at that level.
                  since the CBA went into effect, have there been ANY free agent seniors who made it to the NHL?

I have a feeling that if he did not go after his sophomore season, he is not going.
                  he is 5'9"
                  his shot is not as hard as Colin Shields's , and Colin is an all star in Ireland
                  he stick handled through traffic about three times this past season.
                  he cannot hit a team mate in the tape to save his life, he cannot hit anywhere near as "hard" as Damon or Leveille
                  time and space and vision don't mean anything if the pass is not off his stick in time not to be blocked by the D and if the pass is to the backhand of the guy receiving it.

how many passes were in the highlight reel by sweeper?

YES, I will agree that picking Genoway's pocket and hitting House in the crease were all american plays, but they were against a demoralized, perpetually short handed UND squad that had given up. He never did those things against Lowell or Providence, and I think that a sure fire NHLer would have done them over and over against the less competitive teams.

sorry.. he is good, and he might have the most accurate, hard Maine shot ever (I never saw Jack Capuano and I did see Shields and Rodrigue), but until he can pass and score against top defensive pairs, I am not convinced.

Marco Rosa was better and he played with BAD team mates

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                    since the CBA went into effect, have there been ANY free agent seniors who made it to the NHL?

I have a feeling that if he did not go after his sophomore season, he is not going.
                    he is 5'9"
                    his shot is not as hard as Colin Shields's , and Colin is an all star in Ireland
                    he cannot hit a team mate in the tape to save his life, he cannot hit anywhere near as "hard" as Damon or Leveille
                    time and space and vision don't mean anything if the pass is not off his stick in time not to be blocked by the D and if the pass is to the backhand of the guy receiving it.

YES, I will agree that picking Genoway's pocket and hitting House in the crease were all american plays, but they were against a demoralized, perpetually short handed UND squad that had given up. He never did those things against Lowell or Providence, and I think that a sure fire NHLer would have done them over and over against the less competitive teams.

sorry.. he is good, and he might have the most accurate, hard Maine shot ever (I never saw Jack Capuano and I did see Shields and Rodrigue), but until he can pass and score against top defensive pairs, I am not convinced.

I heard the team finished the year with clocking their shots.
                    From what I hear Abbott led with 96MPH, Nemic was second wtih 94 and Amestoy was last.

I don't think you have ever been so wrong in your life.
                    He is probably the best passer on the team(now that gus is gone), I could of put a lot more passes in but let's face it passes aren't all that exciting. He threaded the needle to van dyk for a goal, threaded the needle on merrimack to gus, threaded the needle in the first clip to Flynn I think it was(clips blurry) Not to mention the pass to House against Nodak, or I think his best play skating in between 4 UNH players and throwing a lil backhand sauce to Tanner, all top notch plays. His vision and passing is prolly his best quality even moreso then his shot.

As for hitting, thats not a big deal, a team doesn't look for some1 5'9 that can run ppl over lol because it doesn't exist, they look for qualities a small player can use. ie St Louis.

Spencer was second on the team, and almost never had a consistent line, he was always with some1 new. If They played him with Gus all year my guess they woulda had a bunch more points.

Comment

Matt Gilroy for one

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post

he is 5'9"

Abbott has great hockey sense, but lack of speed with his size will handicap him at the next level. Good solid college player, but I cant see him doing much beyond this.

As far as hard shots go, you didnt need to see Capuano's. All you needed to see was Rodrigue's. The entire arena ducked and covered their ears when he wound up. The goalie was usually pretty safe though.
                        Last edited by acs64; 05-11-2011, 02:58 PM.
                        I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Working...
                        X