• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNHhockey29
    replied
    Re: Dogs v/s Cats (UNH/NU Fri 10/23)

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
    I don't put the onus solely on Foster, but on the defense, too - they're letting guys park in front of the net, or get open on the weak side. Leads to Foster either being screened or a wide-open net to shoot at.
    Big time. Defense is a question for me.

Leave a comment:

• thecomicbookguy
    replied

I actually mostly agree with JB. I do worry about Foster's lateral movement, as it seems like he doesn't get across the crease as quick as he used to (though some of that this weekend may have been the Miami forwards being really good, and getting the one-timers off faster than most teams we see). I don't put the onus solely on Foster, but on the defense, too - they're letting guys park in front of the net, or get open on the weak side. Leads to Foster either being screened or a wide-open net to shoot at.

I seem to remember NU being a physical team last year. Both Miami and RPI took the body to UNH. It worked well on the smaller rink, but wasn't as effective on the large ice.

Leave a comment:

• northeastern
    replied

JB.. great post & observations. BTW, our new goalie Chris Rawlings.. he does give up big rebounds often (so far). We have been partly lucky and several times found ways to clear those. Hope he finds a way to control that aspect of his goaltending.. UNH will not make the same mistakes Bentley did.

I also hope we see Alex Tuckerman & Chris Donovan back for our gms this wknd. Both are solid contributors & were out sick, our last gm against Bentley.

Leave a comment:

• JB
    replied

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
    UNH fans.. of the 11 goals your goalie gave up last wknd.. how many were garbage/lucky etc versus quality shots?
    (i am not trying to demean your goalie..).. actually quite the opposite..

I am trying to determine how much of a chance our offense will have come Friday.
    I seem to be in the minority but I don't think Foster played that badly.

-He had one gak on Friday when Camper didn't even get a shot off as the d-man made a great play to lift the stick on the break away and the puck trickled in 5-hole.

-He had one other problem one night don't remember which but it was second period (shocking) where he should have controlled the rebound. The uncovered Miami guy standing at the top of the crease had to take a couple whacks before getting the puck in the net. Foster should have had the rebound but somebody should have had the Miami forward.

Beyond those two I didn't see many that Foster had much of a chance on. There were at least 3 maybe 4 where Miami had a two man screen moving in front of him at the time of a smart shot from the point, I saw at least 2 of those he never saw the puck - didn't move.

The rest were predominantly guys free coming down the slot with a feed (many from behind the net) most goalies at any level are toast on that play.

He also had several nice saves. On in particular I don't know how he got post to post to be that guys tap in. Let’s not forget the good plays he had. The D was little help at times. UNH's youth was exposed in the in zone coverage. I go to the games with my father and regularly we were grumping "watch the guy in the slot" as all eyes were on the puck carrier.

Leave a comment:

• northeastern
    replied

UNH fans.. of the 11 goals your goalie gave up last wknd.. how many were garbage/lucky etc versus quality shots?
    (i am not trying to demean your goalie..).. actually quite the opposite..

I am trying to determine how much of a chance our offense will have come Friday.

Leave a comment:

• thecomicbookguy
    replied

Originally posted by NJ2NU View Post
    I'm not optimistic about this one, UNH has been scoring in bunches this year thus far and Not Brad Thiessen has looked more-than-a-little shaky for about 65% of his time in net this year. Here's hoping a solid showing against the other BU will carry over.

Hoping...not expecting.

Our D has to know that the rebounds are coming...we have to be quicker in clearing rebounds, we did it last year, we're not doing it this year. That needs to change.
    UNH may have scored a bunch this weekend, but they've let up even more. I don't think your goaltending is as important as your offense.

Leave a comment:

• NJ2NU
    replied

I'm not optimistic about this one, UNH has been scoring in bunches this year thus far and Not Brad Thiessen has looked more-than-a-little shaky for about 65% of his time in net this year. Here's hoping a solid showing against the other BU will carry over.

Hoping...not expecting.

Our D has to know that the rebounds are coming...we have to be quicker in clearing rebounds, we did it last year, we're not doing it this year. That needs to change.

Leave a comment:

• northeastern
    replied

Chickens.. you're right.. don't know wh/y?

Anyway.. most people are picking UNH (and rightly so) in this one. I think if NU can take care of the first 10 mins of the UNH onslaught & give Rawlings a bit to settle.. we might have a chance. Watch out for Butler & Kessel (they are very good). I am surprised Butler hasn't gone pro yet..

And where's the grammar police when you need em..

Leave a comment:

• Chickens@NU
    replied

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
    1-1-1 last season.. i see another close series this yr with the edge to UNH. I am hoping for a strong showing from my Huskies but you guys just played the best team in the nation.. that's gotta rub off some. Go Huskies
    What's with the "v/s" instead of just "vs"? Curious.

Also, can someone at NU learn to proof read something before they make and give out 1000 t-shirts that say "Who's House is This?" That's an embarrassment to NU and they work they have been doing to improve the school and its reputation. There also were 6 guys w/o shirts who spelled "HUSKYS" but I think that was more of an issue of not having enough people who would want to paint their chests over actually misspelling something. But I have been wrong before.

Who is House is This? Dog is House!

Go Huskys!

I kid. Go NU!

Leave a comment:

• northeastern
    started a topic Dogs v/s Cats (UNH/NU Fri 10/23)

Dogs v/s Cats (UNH/NU Fri 10/23)

1-1-1 last season.. i see another close series this yr with the edge to UNH. I am hoping for a strong showing from my Huskies but you guys just played the best team in the nation.. that's gotta rub off some. Go Huskies
Working...
X