Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: #7 Vermont at #2 Univ.New Hampshire HE quarter final

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    As for the band and mascot, my questions is why this is allowed? Has UNH ever brought their band to an away game? Can't remember. And their mascot(s)? Can't remember that either. My guess is that since it's the playoffs, the league allows it. As we know, Hockey East controls everything (the reason that there is no 50/50 sales), so it wouldn't surprise me if UNH had no say in the matter. Don't like it though.
    This is what I've been told. Dislike.

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
    I know NU brought their band to BU. Lowell has brought their band up before as have other teams.
    I don't remember Lowell's in '01 or '03 - BC two years ago is the first I remember seeing at the Whitt.
    Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-13-2011, 03:22 PM.
    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

When was the last time UNH didn't play qtrs at home?
      Probably back when we would have been embarassed to bring our band on the road.
      Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
      -Fred Shero

Comment

When was the last time UNH didn't play qtrs at home?
        I had to go to a media guide for the answer: 1995-1996. UNH played at Maine and lost in 2 games 4-2 & 8-4. The first year was the only time in the Whittemore Center era that UNH has not hosted a home quarterfinal.
        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2

Women's Hockey
        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          As far as Sislo taunting the UVM bench. Please! He's the team captain, down to the last three plus minutes of his last game at the Whit. A game that they thought they had well in hand has been tied up. UVM was chirping all night (we could see that down at our end) and, as noted they had brought their pep band and mascot (more on that below). To top it off, Sislo had been a scoring drought. He makes a great play and scores the tie breaking goal against a guy who stoned UNH quite a bit over the past two years. Pent up frustration on a lot of counts just boils over. Why shouldn't he be excited?

As for the band and mascot, my questions is why this is allowed? Has UNH ever brought their band to an away game? Can't remember. And their mascot(s)? Can't remember that either. My guess is that since it's the playoffs, the league allows it. As we know, Hockey East controls everything (the reason that there is no 50/50 sales), so it wouldn't surprise me if UNH had no say in the matter. Don't like it though.
          I didnt say Sislo was taunting I was saying Bruneteau wasnt so mimicing him could be considered a taunt or at least poor sportsmanship.

As fas as having visiting bands go we used to have to endure Clarksons and sometimes Cornells eveytime they came to Burlington, and my seats at that time were only 2
          sections from them. And I will say Clarkson is(or was its been a few years) the loudest band around, not the best or most entertaining(or annoying) that would be Cornell.
          Last edited by Cat lover; 03-13-2011, 03:57 PM.
          New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
            Maybe it was just a coincedence? Maybe Sislo wasn't "taunting the crowd or the bench",

How does someone taunt the crowd when playing at home anyway???
            New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
              I don't remember Lowell's in '01 or '03 - BC two years ago is the first I remember seeing at the Whitt.
              I remember Lowell's in 01, one of the games was televised (as it was the 4/5 match up) and they just kept showing the Lowell band over and over again. I also had to sit pretty much next to them as I was sittiing on the other side of the rink at that point in my life.
              UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

I thought that the Widlcats played a lot better on Saturday night than they did on Friday, even during the second period when they were behind 1-0 instead of being up 1-0 during the second period as they were on Friday night. UNH was getting more shots on Madore, winning more face offs, and spending more time in the UVM zone. It seemed to me that UNH was in control most of the game, despite the close score, except for the final minute and a half of the game while on a 5-3 PP; if UVM had tied the game during one of their short-handed rushes at that point, I am not sure whether UNH would have recovered and prevailed into OT.

I do not think that UNH benefitted from the refs' calls tonight, despite their advantage on PP opportunities. I thought that the hooking call on Moses in the third was ridiculous, and did not see Kipp's supposed hand pass on the goal that they took away from Sislo before he scored his game winner. I am really happy that the first line re-appeared midway through the Friday night game and definitely came to play on Saturday night. I thought that Moses was amazing in both games, as was DiGi.

UNH will need the same effort no matter who they end up playing next Friday night; looking forward to a visit to the Gahden after a two-year hiatus.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                  How does someone taunt the crowd when playing at home anyway???
                  I must have imagined that group of fans in the opposite end celebrating the Vermont goals.

My point still stands. No player is going to watch an opponent do that, then not return the gesture, especially when they score on the very next shift to retake the lead.

Also, did I miss some indication that Bruneteau made to show that he wasn't taunting? Game-tying goal, after being down by two, late in the game...how do you think that celebration looks to the home team? Think any UNH player/coach/fan might have thought it was a "taunt" that was "classless" or "poor sportsmanship"?
                  Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                  -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

I do not think that UNH benefitted from the refs' calls tonight, despite their advantage on PP opportunities. I thought that the hooking call on Moses in the third was ridiculous, and did not see Kipp's supposed hand pass on the goal that they took away from Sislo before he scored his game winner....
                    I agree, and it's either water over the dam, or under the bridge, (in Japan, I suppose it could be both ) but I thought McKenzie clearly could have gotten an additional 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct (I think it was in the 1st period, but could be wrong) when he was sent to the PB -- first, he smashed his stick on the ice (as though he was chopping wood) after being called for an infraction -- and this took place in front of the ref. Second, once he was in the PB, he threw a punch at the glass of the door. The refs chose to ignore both displays of puerility.

But hey, we won the game (barely, at the end.)
                    We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                    ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                    --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

I don't have a huge problem with them being allowed to bring a band. My major comment was; one band should mean less canned music.

Two bands? Tell the sound guy to take the night off. I think Cloud9 will agree; bands are part of what makes college hockey. And UVMs band didn't suck, either - I enjoyed listening to them. Let the bands play.

Not a fan of the opposing mascot, although I did enjoy watching Rally and Gnarlz take penalty shots against each other.

I sit in 114, just two sections over from the visitor's section at the Whit. My answer, when people around me grumble about them making noise? Cheer louder. Somebody had it on their signature for a while; "I will not be outcheered in my own building."
                      I haven't been on here in a year...
                      Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                        I don't have a huge problem with them being allowed to bring a band. My major comment was; one band should mean less canned music.

Two bands? Tell the sound guy to take the night off. I think Cloud9 will agree; bands are part of what makes college hockey. And UVMs band didn't suck, either - I enjoyed listening to them. Let the bands play.

Not a fan of the opposing mascot, although I did enjoy watching Rally and Gnarlz take penalty shots against each other.

I sit in 114, just two sections over from the visitor's section at the Whit. My answer, when people around me grumble about them making noise? Cheer louder. Somebody had it on their signature for a while; "I will not be outcheered in my own building."
                        I completely agree with you about the bands vs canned music. Bad band >>> Canned (which is usually too loud, as well,) IMHO.
                        We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                        ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                        --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Sislo definitely taunted the UVM bench with that celly, he was staring right at them and smirking. It was pretty humerous, especially with how Mackenzie ran his mouth and whined all night long. I didn't realize he was mocking the kid who got his first goal (and I'm not sure Sislo knew he got the goal). I didn't think the officiating was nearly as bad as Friday night, other than the linesman who had some 'interesting' icing calls early on. I thought it was a decent game, better effort overall, and you have to give Vermont a ton of credit for fighting back from that deficit. They let emotion get the best of them after Sislo regained the lead and took some dumb penalties, and even still ended up with a 3 on 5 shorthanded bid that I was almost sure was going to tie it. That would have been a head scratcher. I was surprised by the timeout which allowed UVM to draw up a perfect play (thankfully he missed the net)... two missed empty nets for UNH for the 2nd night in a row sure kept it interesting, but I'm pumped to see UNH play at the Garden again. Bring on the 'Mack!

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                            My major comment was; one band should mean less canned music.

Two bands? Tell the sound guy to take the night off. I think Cloud9 will agree; bands are part of what makes college hockey.
                            I'd like to see them kill the canned music even with one band and go to a PA announcements-band-band rotation. One of the major complaints since '05 (if not earlier) is that the Whitt feels too corporate, wouldn't traditional college hockey staples help offset this?

The canned music has become such a joke that even after a full season they still can't decide what the team should come out to at the start of the 2nd and 3rd, they've used no less than 3 songs intermittently. Florence V. Cole, class of 1912, wrote a tune nearly 100 years ago that would work pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BBDE2nMy5Q
                            Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-14-2011, 01:24 AM.
                            Men's Hockey

Women's Hockey
                            1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                              Sislo definitely taunted the UVM bench with that celly, he was staring right at them and smirking. It was pretty humerous
                              I guess Sislo was trying to tell Vermont that they were boned.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                I...did not see Kipp's supposed hand pass on the goal that they took away from Sislo before he scored his game winner.
                                It was pretty clear. I'm glad they reviewed it, because I thought that either Kipp or the UVM d-man might have touched it first, but I'm pretty sure Kipp batted the puck right to Sislo.
                                -Fred Shero

Comment

Working...
                                X