Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #7 Vermont at #2 Univ.New Hampshire HE quarter final

Originally posted by UML View Post
    I'll say with the way UVM looked this weekend against Lowell they have no hope against UNH. UVM looked terrible against the worst team in HE.
    Odd thing is in the league you can't skate even 80% against anyone. Not to mention there are certain styles that just don't match up well. UML had dominated UVM doesn't matter which team is at the top or the bottom, UVM never matches up well with them. Same with MC, even when MC is in the basement they always seem to give UVM fits. UML has a better record against UVM then BC does, and I don't think anyone will argue they are a better team.

That said, it's nice to see somewhat of rivarlry start back up between Vermont and New Hampshire. I will say that I actually was hoping to see BC in the QF's, other then the past 5 games or so, UNH has had Vermont's number. Part of the reason for the dwindling rivarly.

Anyways, here's hoping the Catamounts come out flying and playing like it's their last two games. Maybe they will be rewarded with a few more. I hope they come out thing Madore is going to pitch back to back shutouts again.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
      OMFG....just **** fanboy. BU has as much chance of going to the NCAA's in basketball as they do in Hockey after NU gets done kicking your *** this weekend. Moreover, even if they do by some miracle they do sneak in as a 16 seed they will get their behinds handed to them and sent back home. Much again like the BU hockey team. That's not a lot to get excited about. BTW, the BC games are always nearly packed because of all the BU frauds that sneak in and pretend they go to BC (some weird getting rejected thing I guess), consequently that's also why the attendence is so much lower when BC and BU are both playing at home.
      Maybe...that remains to be seen...but as of 20 minutes ago, Vermont has NO CHANCE...bye bye

Comment

Good point and good luck.
        Odd thing is in the league you can't skate even 80% against anyone. Not to mention there are certain styles that just don't match up well. UML had dominated UVM doesn't matter which team is at the top or the bottom, UVM never matches up well with them. Same with MC, even when MC is in the basement they always seem to give UVM fits. UML has a better record against UVM then BC does, and I don't think anyone will argue they are a better team.

That said, it's nice to see somewhat of rivarlry start back up between Vermont and New Hampshire. I will say that I actually was hoping to see BC in the QF's, other then the past 5 games or so, UNH has had Vermont's number. Part of the reason for the dwindling rivarly.

Anyways, here's hoping the Catamounts come out flying and playing like it's their last two games. Maybe they will be rewarded with a few more. I hope they come out thing Madore is going to pitch back to back shutouts again.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
          Maybe...that remains to be seen...but as of 20 minutes ago, Vermont has NO CHANCE...bye bye
          Thanks for the update. Wasn't aware of the squeeky ball scores. UVM BBall is at least guaranteed to go to a post season tourney....seems the same can't be said for BU. Although I have to imagine it's pretty lucky they will go to the tourney. Good for BU. It's too bad a very good athletics programs has such turdnuggets for fans.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Wasn't aware of the squeeky ball scores. UVM BBall is at least guaranteed to go to a post season tourney....seems the same can't be said for BU. Although I have to imagine it's pretty lucky they will go to the tourney. Good for BU. It's too bad a very good athletics programs has such turdnuggets for fans.
            Well, you were wrong then and you’ll be wrong again. BU WILL go to a post-season tournament, just as they did last year (even know it was the CBBIT or whatever they call it). Yesterday’s win was their 20th and they will certainly be invited somewhere. And if they win Saturday (at home), they will get the NCAA automatic bid. I’m not sure why you think it’s “lucky.” I understand Evan was hurt, but BU beat Vermont without their leading scorer (Holland) and their starting center (Jake O’Brien), who is out for the year. But that aside, what is your problem? If your intention is simply to “needle” BU fans, then I don’t care to participate. You despise the name-calling but then demonstrate your hypocrisy by “sinking” to the same level. I am not going to defend the BU fan base (I graduated in 1976 so I’m not some 19 year-old that is interested in getting into a ****ing contest), but, like you, it’s my school and like it or not, I cheer for them. I don’t agree with everything that goes on, nor do I deny that there are many spoiled, snotty students there, as I’m sure there are at every school. Am I disappointed that they are front-runners? Yes, I but that ship sailed long ago. I’m not going to let that detract from my enjoyment of attending the games. I go to the games because I like hockey and they have a good program. I leave the politics out of it, because I never would have gone to the school in the first place if that were the only consideration. I’m not naïve and I understand the animosity that the BU fans engender, but I can’t do anything about it. So don’t lump us all together. If you want to have a discussion without berating us, fine. Otherwise, I’m out of here. It’s not very enjoyable…

Comment

I thought this was a thread about the forthcoming Hockey East Quarterfinal Series. Not sure what BU basketball has to do with it.

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
              Huh? I'm a little baffled by your post. It's not like if you guys win this quarter final series you'll be vindicated. You guys should win this series, just as you should have won last year. I doubt Umile and the team are looking at it as a revenge thing. I suspect they just want to take care of their business.
              I wouldn't be surprised if the team is using last year as motivation. The only reason I'd hesitate to do that is to avoid what happened last year - big win in game one, then losing the next two. I would hope that if UNH just focuses on game 1, then, if they win, use last year as a reminder that they have to put the series away.

Aside from that, I can say from personal experience that the fans want REVENGE!
              Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
              -Fred Shero

Comment

[QUOTE=thecomicbookguy;5067623]I thought this was a thread about the forthcoming Hockey East Quarterfinal Series. Not sure what BU basketball has to do with it.

Just responding to jcarter...it's a carryover from last week. OK - no more bouncyball discussion...

Comment

It is a style thing. UNH is just bad against tight neutral zone defense (any of the many variaty of traps). UNH doesn't dump & chase well. BC sometimes falls into the same ills. Both UNH & BC want a skating game over a grinding game. Lowell and MC generally try to slow the game down play tight center ice defense and dump and chase very well and like the grind.
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

This series is all about UNH really. They are clearly a better team than UVM. More scoring, better defense, even DiGi is better than Madore. Factor in home ice, how UNH lost to UVM last year, plus BC the year before, you would think that would bring enough motivation to carry the day. At the beginning of the season a friend and I were discussing UNH's prospects and he said, "how about we get to the Garden this year." It would be nice.

Comment

Enjoyed your posts, UVM Cat in Texas, Zoofer, C-H-C, and Snively!

Growing up in Durham, I watched Rod Blackburn in net and Dude Thorn's and Brad Houston's booming slap shots against teams like Army and UConn in the old outdoor Batchelder Rink before Snively was constructed in 1965 ("Whoop" Snively lived on the corner of Edgewood Road and Davis Avenue and taught us little townie kids how to swim at the outdoor pool). I remember Dude Thorn scoring the first goal in Snively in 1965, and was there for the last goal almost three decades later when UNH won over BC in double OT (Eric Boguniecki assisted on the goal, I think, but I cannot remember who scored it). In April, I would retrieve pucks from the melting snowbanks around the rink and sell them back to the Athletic Department for $1 each. My more forward-looking friend Alan held onto a couple dozen of his pucks and now sells them on EBay for up to $50 or more each.

Some of my Snively memories were Colin Clark's 65 saves in an 8-0 loss to BU in March 1965 (ouch!), Loui Frigon's 10 points (3 G, 7A) in a lopsided win over Colgate in February 1971 (the smoothest Cats skater that I ever watched until JVR spent a couple of years in Durham), and Guy Smith's OT goal to beat #1 ranked Harvard in January 1972 (Guy played with reckless abandon; I think that I remember seeing him score three goals in less than a couple of minutes during his final season; took a sociology course titled "The American Indians" the spring of 1970 in which Guy came to our class as a guest speaker; I believe that he was part Abenaki?). I left Durham for graduate school in fall 1972, so did not see much of the Cats except when I was home for semester breaks until I moved back east in 1981. So, thanks for filling in some of this time frame for me.

I definitely will be at the Whitt in time for warm ups on Friday night for Cats vs Cats round two.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        , even DiGi is better than Madore.
                        That's debatable but yes, the rest of what you say is on the mark

Comment

Regardless of the rankings, I expect Sneddon to have the Green Cats ready to play.

I'm not thrilled about UNH heading into the playoffs, having lost their last two games. I'm even less thrilled about the way they a) looked on Friday (worst UNH performance ever? A discussion for another day, perhaps) and b) put it in 'coast' mode after getting a 2-0 lead Saturday. They just eased up, and BC is too talented and well coached for that to ever work.

UNH has the talent to win this series in two games; Vermont is no-where near as good as they were last year. That's been well documented, and discussed; last year, the #8 Catamounts were only 3 points out of first place, and an NCAA Tournament team. This year, I think, would be an even bigger surprise if they pull off the upset. The questions are: Will UNH come to play 120/180 minutes of hockey? Will Coach Umile dope it up and call a line change with 15 seconds to go in the period again?

Looking forward to getting some redemption for last year, last week, and hopefully make it to the garden for the first time in four years . . .
                          I haven't been on here in a year...
                          Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                            I'm not thrilled about UNH heading into the playoffs, having lost their last two games. I'm even less thrilled about the way they a) looked on Friday (worst UNH performance ever? A discussion for another day, perhaps) and b) put it in 'coast' mode after getting a 2-0 lead Saturday. They just eased up, and BC is too talented and well coached for that to ever work.
                            Worst ever? Did you watch any UNH hockey in the mid 80's?

Now there were about 3 years of about the ugliest hockey I have ever seen.
                            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                              put it in 'coast' mode after getting a 2-0 lead Saturday. They just eased up, and BC is too talented and well coached for that to ever work.
                              Hahahahahahah. Sure sure sure. UNH just thought they had it in the bag when they got up 2-0 against the best team in the East so they stopped trying. They even made a terrible line change on purpose to help BC win!

It sure looked like they were trying in the 3rd period to me. Call me crazy.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                Hahahahahahah. Sure sure sure. UNH just thought they had it in the bag when they got up 2-0 against the best team in the East so they stopped trying. They even made a terrible line change on purpose to help BC win!

It sure looked like they were trying in the 3rd period to me. Call me crazy.
                                You’re crazy...

But I agree it wasn't UNH going to coast mode. They were playing hard but in a couple cases dumb hockey, BC capitalized on two of the mistakes (line change and getting too high on a PK). That and BC played fantastic focused hockey all weekend, essentially mistake free. If they play like that the rest of the way I am not sure they are beatable.
                                Last edited by JB; 03-08-2011, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X