10/23 UVM at Merrimack : Game 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/23 UVM at Merrimack : Game 1

Merrimack comes off a weekend sweep beating both Holy Cross 3-1 and Army 6-3 while UVM comes in after a 4-1 win against BC. Merrimack's defense seems to be pretty strong and the offense has typically been the issue. With De Costa scoring 5 goals in his second help change that ? UVM's PK was perfect against BC 8-8 giving up only 5 shots on goal, and the defense looks to be getting up to speed quickly on the young season. Offense was the big question for UVM going into the season but 14 goals in 3 games seems to address it. Can UVM keep putting the puck in the net and can the defense continue to improve and hold opposing teams at bay? Will Madore continue to shine? Who starts in net for MC?

I think this one remains a close game but UVM prevails and moves to 2-0-0 HE. UVM 3 MC 1 ENG.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Re: 10/23 UVM at Merrimack : Game 1

Boy you sure can feel the excitement this game is generating
    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

This game will be close. That barn (almost a real barn) is a tough place to play. It's like going back to high school for a game. Compare it to any other facility in HE and it's a huge drop off.

Having said that I'm thinking of making the down and back drive from BTV

Comment

I’m cautiously optimistic about the Warriors this year. They boast a pretty decent goaltending tandem and have more talent then they’ve had in the past. Mark Dennehy has done a great job rebuilding the team – they are competitive every night. The Da Costa eligibility has given the team more confidence and the Defense is pretty stingy. The offense still has some production concerns but they should put some points on the board.

I expect a low scoring battle against a pretty decent UVM team.

Go Warriors…… Beat the Cats!!!!

Comment

Little Doubt - Cannata will be in goal.

Da Costa played on the 4th line against Army... Will they move him up? Will they still keep him with the Freshman Heffernan?

Comment

Who will be in goal for UVM?

Doesn't Mike Spillane have to play either the Merrimack or Maine game?

Is there any point to riding Madore ALL season long? Doesn't every team need two goalies. Just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post

Is there any point to riding Madore ALL season long? Doesn't every team need two goalies. Just in case.
              I would think it is too early in the season and these are only one game weekends for the next few weeks. Maybe at home against PC or SLU...

Comment

Yea, i agree a good spot for Mike to get a start - BUT there's not much hockey to be played in the next couple of weeks so Robbie should not be tired or need a break right now - Sneddon rolls with the hot hand and Madore starts against Warriors and Black Bears

UVM - 3 Warriors - 1

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg View Post
                  Little Doubt - Cannata will be in goal.

Da Costa played on the 4th line against Army... Will they move him up? Will they still keep him with the Freshman Heffernan?
                  Why little doubt? Both goalies are 1-1, having each taken a loss in ND and each picking up a win last week. Cannata gave up 5 to ND, Braithwaite gave up 3. Cannata gave up only 1 to Holy Cross, but Braithwaite gave up 3 to Army.

I think it's terribly hard to try and extrapolate trends based on a grand total of four games, as well as nearly impossible to say that either 'tender has a grip on the top spot at this point.

However, what information we do have says that Braithwaite plays better against tough opposition (ND) and Cannata plays better against lower-ranked opposition (HC).

There are two games coming up. The UVM is the league opener, and then on Sunday they play UCONN.

I'd imagine Braithwaite gets the start against UVM and Cannata takes the UCONN game. That's a pretty thin line of reasoning to use, I admit, but if there's no clear #1 and you're going to platoon this weekend, the only question is who starts first, and I think Braithwaite's having won his last start as well as playing ND tough (32 saves on 35 shots, not far off Cannata's 35 saves on 40 shots, but a bit better) gives him a slight edge. Then, if Cannata starts on Sunday and wins, the team either stays at .500 (assuming they lost against UVM) or moves to 4-2 overall and 1-0 in HEA (assuming they beat UVM).

De Costa started on the fourth line with Heffernan and Velleca but it doesn't look like he stayed there.

Of his five goals, three were on the powerplays, with assists from Cucci on two of them.

Of the two even strength goals, one was assisted by Heffernan, but the other was assisted by Kimball, on the third line.

Whether that was because they moved De Costa up to the third line, or because De Costa stayed on when his linemates changed up, I don't know as I didn't see the game.

I think there'd be little reason for suggesting that Madsen is a better center than De Costa, and I can imagine Dennehy might want to experiment with the possibilities of having De Costa center for either Barton and Robitaille or Kimball and Ouimet. With Cucci centering one line and De Costa centering the other, it makes it a bit harder to shut down the team's offense by keying on one line or one player. Up to now, it had been Barton doing nearly all the scoring.

Just another note: just from the box scores it looks like between the Holy Cross game and the Army game, Dennehy (or maybe someone else on the team) told De Costa it was okay to shoot first and look for passes later.
                  Last edited by dmjossel; 10-23-2009, 01:12 AM.

Comment

I believe Braithwaite will get the nod against UVM as well.

Comment

Mack looks good, Catamounts look good

.. tie gm this
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      Always bullish on the future.
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by grantfan View Post

UVM lineup out on their website.

Madore in net, Spillane and Vazzano backing up.

Vock/Irwin/Stacey
                        Nilsson-Roos/Stalberg/Pacan
                        Downing/Roloff/McCarthy
                        Albertson/Higgins/Marshall

Medvec/Miller
                        Cullity/Burrows
                        MacKenzie/Lawson

5 freshman forwards playing tonight.
                        Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post

I think this one remains a close game but UVM prevails and moves to 2-0-0 HE. UVM 3 MC 1 ENG.
                          Well, you were right about the ENG.

Comment

5-2 Merrimack! Wow

Comment

Cannata 25 saves

Comment

Working...
                              X