• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aparch
    replied
    Re: #11 Bowling Green vs. #6 NMU- CCHA First Round Playoffs

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
    Maybe they'll consult with Ohio State's Kyle Reed, too, who apparently gets "odd looks for saying he plays forward for the hockey team."
    And here I thought they were just giving him funny looks because he's a minus two on the season and judging by his point totals "plays forward" is a bit of a stretch.

Leave a comment:

• BGFan
    replied

FWIW, JST is the second black hockey player that BG has had since I've been watching games ('83). The first was Llew Ncwana and he was a fan favorite. Incidently, we are bringing another in next year, Mingo Dajon (love the name!).

Leave a comment:

• M-HockeyNet
    replied

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    I hope someone from BGSU interviews Samuels-Thomas about his weekend in MQT. Maybe we'll get a full report next weekend after Scooter and Jordan compare notes during warmups.
    Maybe they'll consult with Ohio State's Kyle Reed, too, who apparently gets "odd looks for saying he plays forward for the hockey team."

Black hockey player hopes to inspire others to break the mold

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you're referring to but, then again, I watched the game via the video feed and it was difficult, at best, to tell exactly who was doing what. At any rate, if you're inferring that he did something that you object to then your radio announcers, who are not shy about giving their opinions, didn't see or mention anything. The only observations that they had were about his physical strength and size, which our coaches have, for the past two years, been trying to get him to use to his, and the team's, advantage, particularly in the defensive zone where he has a tendency to stand around waiting for the puck to come to him. In fact I was shocked when your announcers mentioned that he blocked a couple of shots!
    I'm the radio announcer, and you're right, I'm not shy about giving my opinions. I thought that, at times, especially on Saturday and Sunday, that Jordan Samuels-Thomas was a man among boys. He used his size and strength very well at both ends of the ice and played with a fire that I've only seen off and on during our six meetings in the past two seasons. I think in the Friday night game at BG two weeks ago, he was nearly invisible, and likely sat out that Saturday because of it. I thought he was so-so in game one this weekend, but he sure had the fire lit in games 2 & 3. BG will need him to be that dominant player at both ends of the ice, and strong physical weekends from McIntosh and Shea if they are going to have a chance at slowing down Michigan. A big weekend by Andrew Hammond is also a must. Good luck BG. Beat Michigan!

-Dave Danis, NMU radio guy

PS-The comment about about JST's weekend in Marquette stems from a tweet that UM's Scooter Vaughan sent out last weekend about getting looks because he was a black hockey player. An article was published online by an Ann Arbor news group about it.
    Last edited by davyd83; 03-08-2011, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BGFan
    replied

Originally posted by spiehler View Post
    Upon introspection, "plays dirty" includes an element of not getting caught, although he's not that sneaky if I see it from the stands. When being "hooked," clamp the opponent's stick under the arm. Hold to prevent another guy from getting up. Maybe he has a keen sense of where the refs are. Or I notice it in him moreso than in others.
    Nothing different than I see from a large number, if not most, of players in the conference. Solway is all of 5' 10" and 160 lbs...at that size you do whatever it takes to gain an advantage. To his credit, he plays like he's 6'0, and 200 lbs and leaves it all on the ice every shift.

Leave a comment:

• BGFan
    replied

BGFan: Unless he meant it in the gritty sense? I didn't watch the game, and haven't seen much of Solway ever so I can't (and won't) cast opinion.

I hope someone from BGSU interviews Samuels-Thomas about his weekend in MQT. Maybe we'll get a full report next weekend after Scooter and Jordan compare notes during warmups.
    I'm not quite sure what you're referring to but, then again, I watched the game via the video feed and it was difficult, at best, to tell exactly who was doing what. At any rate, if you're inferring that he did something that you object to then your radio announcers, who are not shy about giving their opinions, didn't see or mention anything. The only observations that they had were about his physical strength and size, which our coaches have, for the past two years, been trying to get him to use to his, and the team's, advantage, particularly in the defensive zone where he has a tendency to stand around waiting for the puck to come to him. In fact I was shocked when your announcers mentioned that he blocked a couple of shots!

Leave a comment:

• spiehler
    replied

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
    Interesting perspective on Solway as he only has 12 penalties for 24 minutes this season, not even close to tops on the team. He must be "sneaky dirty".
    Upon introspection, "plays dirty" includes an element of not getting caught, although he's not that sneaky if I see it from the stands. When being "hooked," clamp the opponent's stick under the arm. Hold to prevent another guy from getting up. Maybe he has a keen sense of where the refs are. Or I notice it in him moreso than in others.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

BGFan: Unless he meant it in the gritty sense? I didn't watch the game, and haven't seen much of Solway ever so I can't (and won't) cast opinion.

Leave a comment:

• BGFan
    replied

Originally posted by spiehler View Post
    BG will not have the services of Solway and Ruel. http://www.sent-trib.com/bgsu-sports...r-nmu-03-02-11 Solway doesn't have very many points (but who does? Solway: 5-10-15; leading scorer: 8-10-18) but he works hard. And plays dirty.
    Interesting perspective on Solway as he only has 12 penalties for 24 minutes this season, not even close to tops on the team. He must be "sneaky dirty".

Leave a comment:

• alnike
    replied

Just a heads up for BGSU fans, make sure you don't look at Scooter Vaughn, he may get offended.
    Hopefully you did not offend Jordan Samuels-Thomas this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

Just a heads up for BGSU fans, make sure you don't look at Scooter Vaughn, he may get offended.

Leave a comment:

• UMICH
    replied

Originally posted by redwings8831 View Post
    Bowling Green 2-1 in double ot.
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• redwings8831
    replied

Bowling Green 2-1 in double ot.