Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SCSU @ DU: Playoff Seeding Shuffle Weekend

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
    It looks more and more like a sweep to me. Then we need Wisco to get 3 point from Colorado. But really, they will play just as well on the road, so home ice may not matter, except we miss out on another live hockey series.
    Or Bemidji to sweep the Gophers at home and Minnesot'a +12 goal differential turns into less than our +4 goal differential turns into. I know its a long shot, but considering we need Wisconsin to take EXACTLY 3 from CC, I'd say they're about as likely as each other. At least with the Beavers and Gophs we're not cheering for ties.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
      No matter who St. Cloud plays in the 1st round of the WCHA playoffs [MN, WI, CC or UMD] IMO you guys have the best possibility to pull an upset. UMD & WI are really reeling right now.

That goes for the play-in games at the Final 5 as well.
      While UMD and UW are reeling, I'd still rather end up at the Mooch. We did have a very impressive showing at Amsoil, but they could've had (and likely did) a horrible weekend; that team scares me much more than their big sis. (though knocking them out of the NCAAs would be FANTASTIC). And while Wisconsin may be a faux team we just swept, they'd be angry and going into a building where we've won once in like a decade and asking to win 2 out of 3 is tough. The Gophers we split with on the road this year, winning convincingly then just coming up short Sunday (OBAMA!!! ), and that was first conference series of the year, not even when we've been playing well. They took 7 out of 8 points the past two weekends but against a reeling UW and MTU at home. In addition, that's a building we've had some success in for the past few years, not just one night like is the case with the Kohl or one weekend like Amsoil
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

SPOILER ALERT!!! I already know what happens...

Huskies split in Denver, CC sweeps Sconny, we finish in 7th, play on the road at CC, Win Friday night in OT, Lose Sat, Win 5-1 on Sunday.

Final Five:
        First round matchup against Nebraska-Omaha, beat them in the 3pm game on Thursday 3-2 in a game which Mike Lee steals the show with 40+ saves
        Second round matchup against the Pioneers, beat them 2-0 in a physical defensive game in which Roe and LeBlanc score
        WCHA Championship: Against UND, we lose 5-2 in a backbreaker

Make the NCAA's, have a big win against Canisus 5-1, then lose to Northeastern in the next round in an OT thriller where Taylor Johnson turns the puck over in the zone causing a 2 on 1 which Mike Lee can't save....season over
        Living a Lifetime of bleeding RED & BLACK

SIOUX is a GIRLS name....

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Production Man View Post
          SPOILER ALERT!!! I already know what happens...

Huskies split in Denver, CC sweeps Sconny, we finish in 7th, play on the road at CC, Win Friday night in OT, Lose Sat, Win 5-1 on Sunday.

Final Five:
          First round matchup against Nebraska-Omaha, beat them in the 3pm game on Thursday 3-2 in a game which Mike Lee steals the show with 40+ saves
          Second round matchup against the Pioneers, beat them 2-0 in a physical defensive game in which Roe and LeBlanc score
          WCHA Championship: Against UND, we lose 5-2 in a backbreaker

Make the NCAA's, have a big win against Canisus 5-1, then lose to Northeastern in the next round in an OT thriller where Taylor Johnson turns the puck over in the zone causing a 2 on 1 which Mike Lee can't save....season over
          Spolier Alert-Part II

I'm not sure that going 4-3-0 the rest of the way will get SCSU into the NCAA Tourney. To jump up 5 or 6 spots in the Pairwise, you'd probably have to go 5-1-0, so while only losing the WCHA Championship game might get you in, you'll most likely have to win the Final 5.

That being said, its not impossible so rest up this weekend and get fired up for the playoffs. :-)

Comment

Spolier Alert-Part II

I'm not sure that going 4-3-0 the rest of the way will get SCSU into the NCAA Tourney. To jump up 5 or 6 spots in the Pairwise, you'd probably have to go 5-1-0, so while only losing the WCHA Championship game might get you in, you'll most likely have to win the Final 5.

That being said, its not impossible so rest up this weekend and get fired up for the playoffs. :-)
            Yes, I think the boys will get to rest up this weekend. The fresh smog air, and the sight of the mountains, is always so peaceful and serene, allowing for a restful time.
            Bob is making me concerned
            I am the voice of reason

Comment

Spolier Alert-Part II

You are correct. They have no shot at making the NCAA's unless they either win the final five or sweep the next two weekends and probably win one game in the final five.
              I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

So, if a Denver player gets injured, do they ever prescribe medical marijuana? Is the quality of the medical stuff as good as the stuff on the street?
                I am the voice of reason

Comment

Denver is a lock for the #2 or #3 at the lowest for conference play. Likely meaning they will play BSU or UAA. If you are Gwozdecky do you consider sitting some of your horses? It would take divine intervention for MTU to sweep UND. Possible but unlikely. If I was him, I might be giving Shore, Zucker, etc. some time in the press box. On the flip side, the team has been in a bit of a skid, and they might want to use this series to improve a couple of weak spots before they enter the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
                    Denver is a lock for the #2 or #3 at the lowest for conference play. Likely meaning they will play BSU or UAA. If you are Gwozdecky do you consider sitting some of your horses? It would take divine intervention for MTU to sweep UND. Possible but unlikely. If I was him, I might be giving Shore, Zucker, etc. some time in the press box. On the flip side, the team has been in a bit of a skid, and they might want to use this series to improve a couple of weak spots before they enter the playoffs.
                    Unless a player is banged up I don't see any benefit of sitting a player if you are Gwoz. These guys played twice as many games in Juniors, so playing twice a weeke shouldn't be a big deal even with going to classes.
                    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

I fully understand that point. It's not a question of durability. It's more of a question of risk vs. reward. The McNaughton cup is virtually out of reach, do you risk having one of these high impact players being injured in virtually meaningless games?

After all, that "goon" Marvin will be in town this weekend.

Comment

Suggestion for the Pioneers, especially Gwoz: To make this series a real great tune-up for the playoffs and beyond, play the series without a goalie!!! This would really keep everyone on their toes and they's get a great workout. I know Gwoz isn't opposed to pulling the goalie early in a tight game, so maybe he'd be willing to try it from the beginning. Just a thought.

As usual, I'm here to help.
                        I am the voice of reason

Comment

Now here is a guy that can think out of the box. "Skeet in the box" only he is out....

Comment

I don't think Denver or anyone would risk second-guessing by know-it-alls or have their team in a possible funk by resting their top players to prepare for the first round playoffs. If anything, they might get fewer shifts later in the games. However, it might still be too early for Ostrow this weekend.

Nonetheless, it won't matter. Husckeys are on a roll (and finally playing as expected) while the Pios are not. St. Cloud brings their brooms to the mountaintop and sweep Denver.

Comment

DU won't be resting any players. Kyle Ostrow will be back this weekend according to Eric Bacher, the DU SID, and the only player that won't be available will be Jesse Martin. 1) DU wants that 2nd place finish to guarantee a bye in St. Paul (no guarantee with 3rd place). 2) Jason Zucker is looking to win the WCHA scoring title, he will be on the ice a lot. 3) DU needs the top players to work on the power play to get ready for the playoffs. 4) Unless DU gets a big lead (which isn't their M.O.), the 4th line will get limited ice time. DU will be treating this series as a playoff round.
                              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                                Suggestion for the Pioneers, especially Gwoz: To make this series a real great tune-up for the playoffs and beyond, play the series without a goalie!!! This would really keep everyone on their toes and they's get a great workout. I know Gwoz isn't opposed to pulling the goalie early in a tight game, so maybe he'd be willing to try it from the beginning. Just a thought.

As usual, I'm here to help.
                                Now this makes sense! According to this goal differential, tie-breaking thing, if the Huskies scored at least 15 per game then we would have the goal differential over the rodents, which would keep them out of the NCAA tnmt! BRILLANT!
                                There is Hope . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X