• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread Pt. IV

Important game at Dubuque this evening.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
      Yes, its amazing how many people (present company excluded) fail to realize the value of a defenseman who actually plays defense...what a concept.
      In my opinion, that is because there is no reward/hardware for a defensive defenseman. The NHL award for defensemen almost always go to an offensive defenseman.
      The recipient may be a good defenseman, but he also has to be the quarterback on the power play and add offense to the team.
      There is an award for the best defensive forward, lets get an award for the best stay at home defenseman.
      The guys that make it possible for their teammate to rush the puck while they stay back and take care of the defensive end of the ice. JMO
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        In my opinion, that is because there is no reward/hardware for a defensive defenseman. The NHL award for defensemen almost always go to an offensive defenseman.
        The recipient may be a good defenseman, but he also has to be the quarterback on the power play and add offense to the team.
        There is an award for the best defensive forward, lets get an award for the best stay at home defenseman.
        The guys that make it possible for their teammate to rush the puck while they stay back and take care of the defensive end of the ice. JMO
        Doesn't the ECAC have a defensive defenseman award?

Edit: Yes, they do.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          Color me surprised-I figured him for an IVY for sure.
          Why?

Very hard to go from one Ivy to another, if the underlying rationale is the coach. Think about it. That undermines a lot of what the Ivy League stands for. Academics first, athletics second (wink, wink).

The aesthetics would have looked bad if he went from Princeton to another Ivy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Doesn't the ECAC have a defensive defenseman award?

Edit: Yes, they do.
            While I was unaware of that, I could not tell you a single winner of that award going back to 1993 when I first started following college hockey.
            Can anyone tell me the winner of that award without looking it up?
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
              While I was unaware of that, I could not tell you a single winner of that award going back to 1993 when I first started following college hockey.
              Can anyone tell me the winner of that award without looking it up?
              Probably because I doubt that RPI ever won that award.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                Why?

Very hard to go from one Ivy to another, if the underlying rationale is the coach. Think about it. That undermines a lot of what the Ivy League stands for. Academics first, athletics second (wink, wink).

The aesthetics would have looked bad if he went from Princeton to another Ivy.
                OTOH from RPI to Harvard is fine.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Why did I know you were going to go there?

1). Not Ivy to Ivy
                  2). Huxley went to USHL (IIRC) for a year before coming to H. Don't think Hyman was willing to go that route given his aspirations

Comment

Exactly-there are lots of reasons to choose a quality academic institution for a hockey player-otherwise ow can we ever explain the fairly large number of NHL players who came out of the ECAC over the past many years. If this kid chose Princeton first-then he had good reasons for the choice. I would think those reasons still exist and he would merely shift to another school that offers the same chance.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I am going along with the earlier suggestion to continue discussion of RPI recruits on the Off-Season threads. A new recruit thread will start at about the tiem when recruits for 2012 and later start practicing or playing exhibition games. No one seems to disagre with this at the time. We have also done this before.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I am going along with the earlier suggestion to continue discussion of RPI recruits on the Off-Season threads. A new recruit thread will start at about the tiem when recruits for 2012 and later start practicing or playing exhibition games. No one seems to disagre with this at the time. We have also done this before.
                        We are indeed creatures of habit. Appreciate all the work you do RB-I dont know how else i could keep up with all the recruits.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                        X