Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Coaches of All-Time

Originally posted by GoldenBear View Post
    Joe Marsh. There isn't a coach in the nation who does more with less every single season, a program in the nation who wouldn't want him on board, or coach in the nation who doesn't respect him more. Within in 3 years of taking over a program that had been debating dropping to D3, lost by a goal in overtime in the national title game.
    2 time national coach of the year
    GoldenBear - you beat me to it and couldn't have said it better. I will add that not once in Joe's 25+ years as Head Coach at SLU has ANYBODY written or said a negative thing about Joe. Fabulous coach and an even better person!
    GO SAINTS.

Comment

I just thought I would update this thread as well. The numbers are in. In all, 75 coaches were nominated (22 active coaches). I have decided to highlight the top 25 coaches of all-time, along with an Honorable Mention (active coaches in the top 50). When all is said and done, I'll post the 75 that were nominated along with their point values. Look for updates over the next week or two as the top 25 are announced.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Honorable Mention

Mike Eaves
        Mike Eaves has lead Wisconsin to 2 Frozen Fours, and the 2006 National Championship. The Badgers have made 5 NCAA Tournaments in his tenure, and have had only 2 losing seasons in his 9 seasons. If Coach Eaves stays at the collegiate level, expect him to crack the top-25 in the not so distant future.

Dave Hakstol
        Dave Hakstol has been to more Frozen Fours since becoming a head coach, than any other coach in the nation (5). The Sioux have won 2 MacNaughton cups, along with 3 Broadmoor trophies in his tenure. Similar to Eaves, if Coach Hakstol continues this pace, he will be in the top-25 soon. At this point, it is a national title that is keeping him out of the upper echelon of coaching.

Scott Sandelin
        No coach did more for themselves this past season than Scott Sandelin. If it were not for the Bulldogs run to the National Championship, he would have not been listed here. Sandelin has made the most out of his opportunities though, reaching 3 NCAA Tournaments and going 7-2 in those games. If he can continue to lead the Bulldogs to the dance, expect Coach Sandelin to rise in these rankings.

Tim Whitehead
        Maine's coach, Tim Whitehead has struggled over the past few years, but his initial success following Walsh, along with what he accomplished in his first half dozen seasons at Maine put Whitehead here. Whitehead has an impressive 10-6 record in the NCAA Tournament, but missing the NCAAs four years in a row has put him in the hotseat amongst Maine fans.

Enrico Blasi
        Enrico Blasi has moved into this echelon of coaching over the past handful of seasons, leading Miami to the status as a consistent contender. The RedHawks, under Blasi, have made 6 consecutive NCAA Tournaments, and were Runners-up in '09. Expect Blasi to continue to move up the list and Miami to continue their success.

Joe Marsh
        Joe Marsh has been at the helm of the SLU program for 25 years, and has accomplished a lot. He has made 2 Frozen Fours, reaching the title game in '88, along with 8 NCAA Tournament appearances. Unfortunately, he is only 3-11 in the NCAA Tournament. That being said, Marsh often does more with less than any other coach in the game. His 468 victories are good enough to rank 22nd All-time.

Mike Schafer
        Mike Schafer has been remarkably consistent in his 15 years at Cornell. The Big Red Boss has only had 2 losing seasons, and has reached the NCAA Tournament 8 times, reaching 1 Frozen Four. If Schafer can continue to make the NCAA Tournament, and perhaps reach a few more Frozen Fours or win a title, he will continue to climb the rankings.

Scotty Owens
        Scotty Owens may catch a lot of grief for his hair, but he is an excellent coach. He may be the WCHA's version of Joe Marsh, in that he does more with less, and always seems to have CC in the mix. In 12 years in the Springs, Owens has never had a losing season, has put the Tigers into the NCAAs 7 times, and reached 1 Frozen Four.
        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          I have decided to highlight the top 25 coaches of all-time.
          The top 25 exclusively men's ice hockey coaches; the coach who also took lacrosse teams to the national championships while at the same time taking ice hockey teams to national championships as well gets no additional recognition for his versatility.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            The top 25 exclusively men's ice hockey coaches; the coach who also took lacrosse teams to the national championships while at the same time taking ice hockey teams to national championships as well gets no additional recognition for his versatility.
            Correct. Vince Lombardi will not be appearing on this list. Steve Lombardi perhaps someday...Dean Lombardi, probably not.
            North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
              Correct.
              I was talking about a coach who probably will be in the top ten as a men's college ice hockey coach, who also happened to coach men's college lacrosse as well.

Not sure how a pro football coach got tossed into that?

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I was talking about a coach who probably will be in the top ten as a men's college ice hockey coach, who also happened to coach men's college lacrosse as well.

Not sure how a pro football coach got tossed into that?
                Because I'm not looking at anything besides Men's D1 College Hockey. Anything else is pointless. Most coaches do a lot more than just coach hockey. Ned Harkness chose to coach lacrosse for a time. Murray Armstrong was a great golfer. There certainly won't be any extra consideration for Armstrong because his handicap was so low.
                North Dakota

Comment

Who cares about freakin lacrosse?
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by nick papagiorgio View Post
                    who cares about freakin lacrosse?
                    espnu
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I've never added up the numbers, but who has put more coaches, scouts and hockey personnel into college and the pro hockey business then Charlie Holt.....Charlie brought the European 5 man unit into college hockey in 75.....and had guys like Bill Beaney, Gordie Clark, and Joe Marsh as players.....was also always a surrogate father to the guys on the team...taught us all more about life than just hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                        I've never added up the numbers, but who has put more coaches, scouts and hockey personnel into college and the pro hockey business then Charlie Holt.....Charlie brought the European 5 man unit into college hockey in 75.....and had guys like Bill Beaney, Gordie Clark, and Joe Marsh as players.....was also always a surrogate father to the guys on the team...taught us all more about life than just hockey!
                        While that all may very well be true, in this case I think the thread title is a bit of a misnomer, as I understand the formula it is the winningest Division I men's ice hockey coaches of all time. "greatest" is too broad and amorphous a term to fit what is actually being measured, which appears to be limited to the coaches' W/L record and tournament appearances and advancement.

Comment

While that all may very well be true, in this case I think the thread title is a bit of a misnomer, as I understand the formula it is the winningest Division I men's ice hockey coaches of all time. "greatest" is too broad and amorphous a term to fit what is actually being measured, which appears to be limited to the coaches' W/L record and tournament appearances and advancement.
                          You are more than welcome to start your own "Greatest Coaches that coached both College Hockey and Lacrosse" thread if you wish, as no one is holding you back. This thread, which is in the Division 1 Men's Ice Hockey forum, I feel is appropriately titled.

The formula that I have accounts for a variety of accomplishments from W/L both regular and post season, conference success, and success of those that you coached, to being recognized as great by your peers and other knowledgable people in the game. Again, if you want to create your own formula that includes college lacrosse success, you are more than welcome to do that.
                          North Dakota

Comment

With all this negativity, just wanted to break into the conversation to say:

Thanks, FS23, for putting this together and crunching the numbers. Your lists are extremely fun and entertaining, and I like how you put a positive spin on every entry. Kudos!
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Jesus H Christ. You just don't quit. We know you don't like the way he does it. You're on a college hockey board. Lacrosse is not relevant to us or this thread.

Go away. Do your own. Shut up. In no particular order.

FS23 - good stuff.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                Go away. Do your own. Shut up. In no particular order.
                                Since you put it so eloquently, sure, no problem.

PS I don't care about lacrosse at all. Other people have asked what comprised 'greatness' in a coach, as in 'coach --- really changed my life for the better.'

so what? that doesn't matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X