Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Greatest Coaches of All-Time

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    There is a great imbalance today as RIT, Union, the Ivies and others have 0 scholarships.

Sean
    Oui, evury playeur in d'Ivey leagu eez paying de full tuishin on his own.

I tink some a dem av paper roots in da Summure...

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
      Will negative points be given for cheating?
      No, not directly anyway. Negative points are given out for losses. If you were caught cheating and had to forfeit a bunch of wins, then you would lose points that you would have otherwise gained.

Originally posted by buoldtimer
      However, as I recall, he did this during an era in which there could be a great imbalance between colleges in the number of scholarships that were permitted. Perhaps, that factor should be considered when comparing coaches from days gone by to coaches of today.
      I was debating about splitting this into eras, and could still do it. However, there would have to be some definitive cutoff line, and I think that would be difficult to establish. I think at the end of the day, I'll release it all together, and people can make their own cutoff line.

Originally posted by co14ers
      What other criteria are you using for rating coaches? Such potential categories may include All-Americans produced, graduation rates of players, academic achievement, "turning" a program around, etc.
      All-Americans will be used. Graduation Rates could be used, but I'm afraid I don't have solid numbers for all of the coaches...same thing with academic achievement. If someone knows of a database that might have this information, I'll take a look at it. As far as "turning" a program around, that I think would get tricky. We'd first have to define what turning a program around even was, and then find some tangible metric to use. At the end of the day, the criteria I think most people would use (increased Wins, more NCAA Trips, NCAA Titles) are already included in the formula.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

What about when a coach is found to be cheating after the fact... and then gets a one game suspension after that game? If both those games are wins does the coach get credit for them? :cough cough: Gwoz :cough cough:

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
          What about when a coach is found to be cheating after the fact... and then gets a one game suspension after that game? If both those games are wins does the coach get credit for them? :cough cough: Gwoz :cough cough:
          If the school was forced to forfeit the results, then they would count as losses. If not, then the results would stand.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

QU's Rand Pecknold is one of 67 coaches with over 300 wins. His career record of 301–201–47 is quite impressive and he has brought Quinnipiac up through the ranks quite quickly. Don't know from a comparative stance where he stands but it'd be worth running the numbers I think.

Comment

Edward Jeremiah's gotta be up there from the olden days.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr1 View Post
                any coach that had a fire coach _______ thread should be banned from the list !! Dang there would be no list then!!!
                Sure there would, all the coaches from before the days of the internet!
                sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                  Sure there would, all the coaches from before the days of the internet!
                  Do local newspaper editorials count?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    INCH did this a few years ago. I've been asking for a few years for them to do this over to see what would change but they are not into it right now. Obviously a lot has happened... Gwoz has won two. York has won two. Parker got one more and Comley got one more and joined a list of York and Harkness as the only 3 coaches to get a title at two different schools.

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...aches_0203.htm

Anyway, upon going back and looking at this one day I found some amazing things when comparing Jerry York's tenure at BC to the tenure of Herb Brooks at Minnesota.

About Herb:

- "No other coach has won three national championships in a six-season span as Herbie did from 1974-79."

Jerry York has a chance to do this if he can win one more in the three seasons.

- "Somehow, he never won the Spencer Penrose Award and was named WCHA Coach of the Year just once."

Strangely, York has never won a Penrose since moving to BC (he did win one in 1977 with Clarkson) and also has just one conference COTY award at BC.

It just struck me as something so darn similar. Compare the time York spent here at BC(16 years I believe) and the time Brooks spent at Minnesota (granted a much smaller 7 years?), and you have 0 Penroses, 1 COTY from their conference, and 3 national titles... each. Wow.
                    That article isn't well proofred, or the comments about Herb wouldn't be there- mainly the-

-"No other coach as won three national championships in a six-season span as Herbie did from 1974-79"

And then down the list for Heyliger, they point out that he won 3 national championships in a ROW. And 6 out of 9 years.

If you are looking at the seasons 1974-1979, the Herb statement is true, but between the years 1951-1956, Michigan won 5 out of 6 national championships. No, Vic didn't win just 3, I guess.

Herb- 1974, 1976, 1979- cool
                    Heyliger- 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, and 1956..... So how did Vic not win more NC's in 6s than Herb did?

Again, Brooks is a great coach- this is more about Inch's article that wasn't well researched.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                      Ned Harkness won 3 as well, 1 at RPI and 2 at Cornell and is in the conversation.
                      Do we get to count his 35-1 record as Cornell's lacrosse coach as well? Pity the NCAA tournament hadn't been established yet...
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Re: Nominations

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Do local newspaper editorials count?
                        He did say threads
                        sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          That article isn't well proofred, or the comments about Herb wouldn't be there- mainly the-

-"No other coach as won three national championships in a six-season span as Herbie did from 1974-79"

And then down the list for Heyliger, they point out that he won 3 national championships in a ROW. And 6 out of 9 years.
                          I noticed that not long after I posted this and reread their thing for fun. Maybe they didn't write it up as they were hoping and left out part of what they were trying to say. After all, Heyliger doesn't really count since he did his thing so long ago.

All in all a good effort from them and a cool idea you don't see many other websites doing.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                            Grant Standbrook, no question.

he was a head coach at dartmouth and I believe he has 5 national championship rings.
                            3 with Wisconsin and
                            2 with Shawn Walsh's Maine team... been to the frozen 4 more years than Red has coached at Michigan (or close to it... he heh heh)
                            Grant would have beeen nothing without Timmay. As an example of Grants greatness compare Spencer winning Timmays record with and without Grant
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                              If Gwoz had really wanted to cheat, he wouldn't have stood there in full view of thousands in the press box with his headphones on. His move was either naive or ill-considered, but hardly cheating, as there was clearly no intent to deceive anyone. That said, he got punished for his transgression.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                                If Gwoz had really wanted to cheat, he wouldn't have stood there in full view of thousands in the press box with his headphones on. His move was either naive or ill-considered, but hardly cheating, as there was clearly no intent to deceive anyone. That said, he got punished for his transgression.
                                Where was he supposed to go? Into the crowd with his mustache-glasses disguise on? At the very least he is a wrongdoer with a sketchy knowledge of the rules... is that better? Anywho he gave his team an unfair advantage in that game and in many minds (yes, including mine)deserved a longer sentence.

Comment

Working...
                                X