For coaches that never won a NCAA championship I nominate the following:

Len Ceglarski
    Jack Riley
    Dick Umile
    Joe Marsh
    Edward Jeremiah
    Tim Whitehead
    Enrico Blasi
    And because I’d like to see where he comes in, Harry Cleverly.

Sean
    Sean, this is a thread for best coach...not the worst coach!!! Anytime you list Whitehead you are obviously talking about the worst coach every to coach D1 hockey!!! He has ruined Maine hockey and refuses to go!!!!

Comment

• Re: The Greatest Coaches of All-Time

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      [my] formula ... accounts for a variety of accomplishments from W/L both regular and post season, conference success, and success of those that you coached, to being recognized as great by your peers and other knowledgable people in the game.

"Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        Excellent discussion points.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

You are more than welcome to start your own "Greatest Coaches that coached both College Hockey and Lacrosse" thread if you wish, as no one is holding you back.
          That would be some list

Comment

Originally posted by MEFANinLA View Post
            Sean, this is a thread for best coach...not the worst coach!!! Anytime you list Whitehead you are obviously talking about the worst coach every to coach D1 hockey!!! He has ruined Maine hockey and refuses to go!!!!
            Then I hope he stays for many more seasons!

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              Shut up.
              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              Excellent discussion points.
              Some people are never satisfied, no matter how much you try to please them, eh?

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Honorable Mention

Mike Eaves
                Mike Eaves has lead Wisconsin to 2 Frozen Fours, and the 2006 National Championship. The Badgers have made 5 NCAA Tournaments in his tenure, and have had only 2 losing seasons in his 9 seasons. If Coach Eaves stays at the collegiate level, expect him to crack the top-25 in the not so distant future.

Dave Hakstol
                Dave Hakstol has been to more Frozen Fours since becoming a head coach, than any other coach in the nation (5). The Sioux have won 2 MacNaughton cups, along with 3 Broadmoor trophies in his tenure. Similar to Eaves, if Coach Hakstol continues this pace, he will be in the top-25 soon. At this point, it is a national title that is keeping him out of the upper echelon of coaching.

Scott Sandelin
                No coach did more for themselves this past season than Scott Sandelin. If it were not for the Bulldogs run to the National Championship, he would have not been listed here. Sandelin has made the most out of his opportunities though, reaching 3 NCAA Tournaments and going 7-2 in those games. If he can continue to lead the Bulldogs to the dance, expect Coach Sandelin to rise in these rankings.

Tim Whitehead
                Maine's coach, Tim Whitehead has struggled over the past few years, but his initial success following Walsh, along with what he accomplished in his first half dozen seasons at Maine put Whitehead here. Whitehead has an impressive 10-6 record in the NCAA Tournament, but missing the NCAAs four years in a row has put him in the hotseat amongst Maine fans.

Enrico Blasi
                Enrico Blasi has moved into this echelon of coaching over the past handful of seasons, leading Miami to the status as a consistent contender. The RedHawks, under Blasi, have made 6 consecutive NCAA Tournaments, and were Runners-up in '09. Expect Blasi to continue to move up the list and Miami to continue their success.

Joe Marsh
                Joe Marsh has been at the helm of the SLU program for 25 years, and has accomplished a lot. He has made 2 Frozen Fours, reaching the title game in '88, along with 8 NCAA Tournament appearances. Unfortunately, he is only 3-11 in the NCAA Tournament. That being said, Marsh often does more with less than any other coach in the game. His 468 victories are good enough to rank 22nd All-time.

Mike Schafer
                Mike Schafer has been remarkably consistent in his 15 years at Cornell. The Big Red Boss has only had 2 losing seasons, and has reached the NCAA Tournament 8 times, reaching 1 Frozen Four. If Schafer can continue to make the NCAA Tournament, and perhaps reach a few more Frozen Fours or win a title, he will continue to climb the rankings.

Scotty Owens
                Scotty Owens may catch a lot of grief for his hair, but he is an excellent coach. He may be the WCHA's version of Joe Marsh, in that he does more with less, and always seems to have CC in the mix. In 12 years in the Springs, Owens has never had a losing season, has put the Tigers into the NCAAs 7 times, and reached 1 Frozen Four.
                Great start here. Looking forward to the Top 25 and anticipating both George Gwozdecky and Murray "The Chief" Armstrong will be near the top.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

So let the top 25 begin...

#25 Barry Thorndycraft
                  Coached at North Dakota from 1958-1964
                  Barry Thorndycraft coached six seasons at the University of North Dakota, and had two 20-win seasons. Those two years were quite special as they both resulted in National Championships. They were also the only two years that North Dakota made the NCAA Tournament during Thorndycraft's tenure. He is one of only two coaches in the top 25 to have never lost a Frozen Four game. His tenure started off with a bang, as Thorndycraft led the Sioux to the National Title over Michigan State. The Sioux then waited another four years before winning it all in '63 over Denver. While Thorndycraft had great NCAA success, he is hurt in this ranking, largely because he only coached for six seasons. With plenty of active coaches on the verge of jumping into the top 25, look for Thorndycraft to enjoy a short stay in this spot.

North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

The title of this thread is the problem: "The greatest coaches of all time" title is both excessively grandiose and comically provincial. Judging by outraged responses the title should read, "The greatest NCAA Division I United States men's college ice hockey head coaches of the modern era as measured by subjectively assigned numerical rankings."
                    That should put an end to the ruffled feathers.
                    Last edited by Osorojo; 04-12-2011, 11:27 AM. Reason: accuracy

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                      The title of this thread is the problem: "The greatest coaches of all time" title is both excessively grandiose and comically provincial. Judging by outraged responses the title should read, "The greatest NCAA Division I United States men's college ice hockey head coaches of the modern era as measured by subjectively assigned numerical rankings."
                      That should put an end to the ruffled feathers.
                      Given that this thread is already in the NCAA Division 1 United States Men's College Ice Hockey Forum, it would be idiotically redundant to include that in the thread title.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Given that this thread is already in the NCAA Division 1 United States Men's College Ice Hockey Forum, it would be idiotically redundant to include that in the thread title.
                        If, to a literate reader, "USCHO" stands for " digitized comparison NCAA Division I men's modern era college ice hockey coaches," your point is well taken. But it never hurts to explain exactly what you are talking about.
                        A more precisely stated "Greatest . . . " would have eliminated much of the off-topic bickering, but I'm probably missing the purpose of this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                          If, to a literate reader, "USCHO" stands for " digitized comparison NCAA Division I men's modern era college ice hockey coaches," your point is well taken. But it never hurts to explain exactly what you are talking about.
                          A more precisely stated "Greatest . . . " would have eliminated much of the off-topic bickering, but I'm probably missing the purpose of this forum.
                          USCHO = United States College Hockey Online
                          This is their Fan Forum.
                          This is the Men's NCAA Division 1 section of that forum.

Sorry if you failed to understand that. It's tough...I know.
                          North Dakota

Comment

I really enjoyed your 'greatest programs' thread and look forward to the results of your formula when applied to coaches.
                            It is an impressive amount and quality of work. I appreciate it.

to many people, "greatest" implies more than just winning records; as you yourself noted it cannot fully be measured with available accessible data. People, including self, have become a little silly....

["nits" once were another word for "lice" and so nit-picking actually was a helpful friendly gesture....at one time.....]

It also is true that for a wide swath of the population, winning is not everything it is the only thing; for them these would indeed be the 'greatest' coaches of all time.

However, when I look at college basketball, to have a formula that says "greatest" that only measures wins, losses, tournament appearances, and all the other items of your formula, yet does not include graduation rates or post-college criminal convictions, a formula that would closely equate a Calipari or Calhoun or Knight with a Smith or a Wooden....well you know that I'm not the only one that thinks "greatest" goes beyond numerical metrics alone.....
                            Last edited by FreshFish; 04-12-2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

However, when I look at college basketball, to have a formula that says "greatest" that only measures wins, losses, tournament appearances, and all the other items of your formula, yet does not include graduation rates or post-college criminal convictions, a formula that would closely equate a Calipari or Calhoun or Knight with a Smith or a Wooden....well you know that I'm not the only one that thinks "greatest" goes beyond numerical metrics alone.....
                              And I bet FS23 would not be offended what so ever if you did your own list that follows YOUR crieteria and not his.

So go for it.

Comment

It is an impressive amount and quality of work. I appreciate it.

to many people, "greatest" implies more than just winning records; as you yourself noted it cannot fully be measured with available accessible data. People, including self, have become a little silly....

["nits" once were another word for "lice" and so nit-picking actually was a helpful friendly gesture....at one time.....]
                                Thank you for your appreciation. As I said before though, my formula accounts for far more than just winning records. There are always going to be elements to, in this case coaching, that don't have tangible data. Given that, I would never include coaching in another sport when the point is to determine who is the greatest college hockey coach of all-time.

At this point, I'd really like to get this thread back on track. I'm hesitant to keep going with this list if all we're going to do is talk about this thread title. I'm happy to discuss the formula after the top 25 has been announced. I'd prefer to keep talk to the coaches in the top-25...perhaps stories/anecdotes about the coaches on the list.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X