• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMU8405
    replied
    Re: Michigan vs. NMU February 25-26

Originally posted by MrMidwest View Post
    What's with all the negativity fellow felines of the Northwoods? The cats have a lot of depth; I'm looking for Chernie, Florek, and Fox to pull the throttle and get the cats 2 or 3 points this weekend. I like Nick Kosinski as a classmate, but whoever said his injury will contribute to their losing both games... come on. As for the Gron injury- yes he's an asset but to me he was a suprise as leading scorer this year. I know the aforementioned skaters are dying to get some goals, and the stage really couldn't get much bigger in the regular season. I like Northern to win game one, then pray for more points, but 3 would be sufficient to get a bye. Let's make some noise this weekend tell your friends who dont leave on SB to get any remaining tix before lazy UM alum and fans snatch em up!
    The cats do have depth, and while they arent as "stacked" as the bigger programs, they do have players capable of stepping up without Gron. Fox did so last week, Chewy (if he stays out of the box) Florek, Hanson (who has been playing great since being benched) are all capable of putting up big games. Fox has really been the 7th man this season for NMU, with great leadership but great presence on the ice and putting the puck home. Kosinski has been playing great this season. Players that could possibly step up huge this weekend: Higby, Follmer or Viger.

Leave a comment:

• MrMidwest
    replied

What's with all the negativity fellow felines of the Northwoods? The cats have a lot of depth; I'm looking for Chernie, Florek, and Fox to pull the throttle and get the cats 2 or 3 points this weekend. I like Nick Kosinski as a classmate, but whoever said his injury will contribute to their losing both games... come on. As for the Gron injury- yes he's an asset but to me he was a suprise as leading scorer this year. I know the aforementioned skaters are dying to get some goals, and the stage really couldn't get much bigger in the regular season. I like Northern to win game one, then pray for more points, but 3 would be sufficient to get a bye. Let's make some noise this weekend tell your friends who dont leave on SB to get any remaining tix before lazy UM alum and fans snatch em up!

Leave a comment:

• NMUFAN21
    replied

I was thinking possible face-offs and figuring its one of his last games he might pick it up a notch.

Leave a comment:

• NMUFAN
    replied

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
    I dont know what you are expecting out of Brown....

I was thinking the same thing.

UM is one of the big three this year. (Miami, Notre Dame, UM). NMU is 1-5 against the first two this year and have been badly outplayed in those games in general. Even the lone win took a monster effort by Coreau against the Irish with 50+ saves. The only way the Cats have a chance this weekend is to play 5 on 5 hockey and Ellingson (I assume) stand on his head.

That being said, I like how the future looks for Northern. With freshmen like D-men Epp and Ludwig logging tons of ice time now, they will be potential all CCHA material in the seasons to come.

Leave a comment:

• NMU8405
    replied

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
    Even with Gron out we still have Hanson, Florek, Fox, and Brown, we do have some depth, were just going to need the upper classmen to step up.
    I dont know what you are expecting out of Brown....

Leave a comment:

• NMUFAN21
    replied

Even with Gron out we still have Hanson, Florek, Fox, and Brown, we do have some depth, were just going to need the upper classmen to step up.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied

Big difference between walking and skating.

Leave a comment:

• WildcatGoal
    replied

What is the deal with Gron? I saw him walking around the arena Saturday in Bowling Green. Besides looking bored out of his mind he was moving around fine.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
    Agreed. Look how well they played against Ferris at the Berry when they had a whole extra week to prepare.

The Cats are a little banged up and a week to recover would be nice as well.
    They really didn't play great against Ferris, getting outshot 32-24 in the OT win and 33-18 in the 3-1 win. The goaltending saved NMU there. The goaltending will be a big factor in how much success we have in the win/loss column this weekend.

The keys for NMU having success against UM are discipline (no bad penalties), taking care of the puck (no bad turnovers) and goaltending.
    Last edited by davyd83; 02-22-2011, 11:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Wildpantswilly
    replied

Thanks for the positivity....

NMU is 3-0-1 in their last four, and is looking to make their patented second half run.

I think they will get at least three points and stay in fifth.

Leave a comment:

• NMUFAN
    replied

According to Walt tonight on the radio, Gron won't play again this weekend after missing the BGSU series. Plus, Kosinski is doubtful. That leaves only Jake Johnson as the only healthy replacement.

With their leading scorer out for the second straight week, the Cats will be lucky to get any points this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• NMU8405
    replied

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Just win and worry about where everyone else falls afterwords... I do think that if the Cats want to not only make the Joe, but do something there, getting the week off is crucial... I think we could survive a trip to Western, or Ferris, but not a trip to Miami or Yost after playing 2/3 additional games...
    Agreed. Look how well they played against Ferris at the Berry when they had a whole extra week to prepare.

The Cats are a little banged up and a week to recover would be nice as well.

Leave a comment:

• redwings8831
    replied

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Question to the Michigan fans: I heard the game against Western was delayed due to fire alarms going off at Yost. Did the water main break in Red Berenson's office again?
    The Fire alarms did go off after the Lynch goal in the first period but play was never stopped. Play restarted with them still going off, and then when they got the alarm to stop, the lights were still blinking for a couple minutes. Up in the press box, we could smell that something (popcorn?) was obviously burning/over burnt.

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied

Just win and worry about where everyone else falls afterwords... I do think that if the Cats want to not only make the Joe, but do something there, getting the week off is crucial... I think we could survive a trip to Western, or Ferris, but not a trip to Miami or Yost after playing 2/3 additional games...

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

Question to the Michigan fans: I heard the game against Western was delayed due to fire alarms going off at Yost. Did the water main break in Red Berenson's office again?
    Last edited by aparch; 02-21-2011, 03:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X