This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All Things Denver XXX

nice effort tonight. Glad to see them come back and work hard. The 195 footer was something else--that's the first time I've seen that in person. two shorties is nice revenge after last nights mess.
    Go Pioneers!

Comment

Yeah, they salvaged a little face tonight. UNO's gonna be tough. We could lose both game or come away with 1 point. Realistically I think the MacNaughton is gone (no big deal) but it remains to be seen whether this club can gather itself for a sustained post season drive.

The problems I posted about earlier today are still there.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I agree UNO and SC are both going to be tough. UND has Tech and BSU. So most likely they'll finish in the one spot. UMD has CC and UNO. Our goal should be to get that 2nd spot to get the bye in the conference tourny. UNO is 15-5 when scoring first. They rolled AA 4-1 tonight. UNO and DU are very closely matched on paper. UNO plays a disciplined game--works the perimeter very effectively. If we can get two points, I'd be happy. Looks like we'll be back to the rotation in net. It was great to have #10 back on the ice tonight. He is taking on the same role PW took on the PP last year. Our kill continues to be very effective--really the biggest bright spot right now. Let's hope Kyle gets back soon--he was moving around Magness this weekend with no problem. I think Gwoz should move Dono to a forward spot he nearly coughed another one up on the blue line again tonight. Gwoz threatened to sit some people down after last night but didn't follow through. The only change was 10 and 20 coming in and Cookie sitting. I thought what he said after the game was interesting. Their goal in the first was to have 15 shots and for each player to land three solid hits. Exceeded the shots (17) and fell a little bit short on the hits. I like the plan for a team that had been struggling in the first. It seemed to work.
        Last edited by MagnessMan; 02-20-2011, 12:52 AM.
        Go Pioneers!

Comment

Look forward to seeing you guys at The Qwest on Friday - Should be a whole lot of fun - We will be fighting for 2nd but sure beats 8th place prediction everyone put on us in October!
          UNO Maverick Hockey - It doesn't get any better than this!

Comment

Makowski's goal makes Sportscenter's Top Plays & Deadspin.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the DU - UNO series next weekend. This has the makings of a classic match up. If you are coming to Omaha, I hope you have a good time, if you don't mind losing. Go Mavs!

Comment

Joe Colborne, wearing #22, scores his first goal for the Toronto Marlies in his first game.
                At about the 1:45 mark. And a nifty shootout goal at about 6:45.
                http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...d=446&id=98722

There's also an interview with him on the video page. And yes, Dad was in the house.
                Last edited by vizoroo; 02-20-2011, 03:43 PM.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Pretty good response by the team last night. Crazy, funny goal. Nice proposal in "Section 18", too.

The win last night makes Friday night's loss more of a distant memory. But if Gwoz and the captains can't figure out how to avoid flat starts and lackluster efforts the rest of the way, I fear that beast will rear its ugly head again at an inopportune time.

Kudos once again to John Ryder, who had another series of good hits. Someone needs to put together a highlight reel for that kid. Has there ever been a better hitter at DU? I don't remember a better one in my 20+ years of watching DU hockey. While he got juked pretty bad once in the third period, he also saved a couple of goals by getting to the puck just before it crossed the line. How come this kid never makes one of the three stars of the game???

Nice meeting you, Dmann.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                    Pretty good response by the team last night. Crazy, funny goal. Nice proposal in "Section 18", too.

The win last night makes Friday night's loss more of a distant memory. But if Gwoz and the captains can't figure out how to avoid flat starts and lackluster efforts the rest of the way, I fear that beast will rear its ugly head again at an inopportune time.

Kudos once again to John Ryder, who had another series of good hits. Someone needs to put together a highlight reel for that kid. Has there ever been a better hitter at DU? I don't remember a better one in my 20+ years of watching DU hockey. While he got juked pretty bad once in the third period, he also saved a couple of goals by getting to the puck just before it crossed the line. How come this kid never makes one of the three stars of the game???

Nice meeting you, Dmann.
                    I totally agree with you on all points about Ryder. It's a real pleasure watching him jolt people's fillings loose. On the question of being the hardest hitter ever, we had a red headed guy, name of Maggie, who threw it around pretty good in the old days.

I'll relate again my story about running into some players on the bridge several years ago. And they were still shaking their heads at having "encountered" Maggie in an exhibitiion game. They were in awe. They all marveled at the size of Maggies' hands, and how he'd used those big mitts to scrub the glass with their faces.
                    Last edited by Old Pio; 02-20-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Who is this Maggie you speak of? Ha ha. I wish they had some film from his days at DU. Or maybe they do?

Comment

Anyone coming from Denver/out of town, beware the outdoor show is the same weekend and parking will be iffy. Get there early.
                        UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Who is this Maggie you speak of? Ha ha. I wish they had some film from his days at DU. Or maybe they do?

Just a boy from Saskatoon. He and his homie, Cliff Koroll, had a pretty good run at DU and then the Hawks. Cliff, who had more than 200 NHL goals, never made first team WCHA or All American. How deep was DU in those days?

Cliff had a tryout with the Denver Bears, and after losing half a dozen balls over the left field wall, they offered him a contract on the spot.

How 'bout this: get the film/video of Maggie together and create an interactive "Magnuson" display at Magness, to go along with his portrait or bust or whatever? And one for Bill Masterton. And, ultimately, one for Matt Carle. It'll never happen, of course, 'cause this is DU we're talking about. But a guy can dream.

note: it's on posts like this that I especially miss Jimbo.
                          Last edited by Old Pio; 02-20-2011, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Nice meeting you, Dmann.
                            Nice meeting you too Pablo and Puck Swami, twas an honor. Bagman, where were you? That was really fun last night. Nice to see the target practice in the third period, that poor goalie actually kept the game closer than it could have been, despite the freak goal. My streak is alive, I hope we get to Manchester this year, maybe I can spread a little good luck to the boys.

Now DU goes on to Nebraska, should be a great series!!
                            "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                            Tom Serratore

Comment

Let's hope the team recovers next weekend and gets four points

Comment

Originally posted by Carle Jersey View Post
                                Let's hope the team recovers next weekend and gets four points
                                This is going to be a very interesting weekend for DU. UNO considers us to be one of their biggest rivals and we've never played a conference game against them yet. I would doubt that 5% of our players or fans would know what their school nickname is.

UNO is having a magical season and they are going to be pumped up this weekend.

UNO is an enigma. 0-3-1 against Bemidji, swept by Quinnipiac, sweeps against Sconnie & Minnesota and split four games with North Dakota.

DU blew the MacNaughton last weekend, but control their own destiny for 2nd place. Time to seize the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X