This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXX

Think Michigan Tech was struggling. The USHL Chicago Steel have lost 24 games in a row, including 6 overtime/shootout losses. DU recruit Garrett Allen is witnessing the carnage first hand. It can't be any fun and his stats have trailed off accordingly.

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...7&numgames=all

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      I disagree, Chris. It's not crap. It's genuine frustration. Being occasionally critical of our team does not make anyone less of a "real fan" than someone who never expresses negativity. I would argue that 'real' fans have a responsibility to point out their frustrations when the team isn't performing well, and those frustrations should help to motivate the team.

As fans, we provide the financial and emotional support that makes the whole D-I hockey enterprise possible, and as key stakeholders in Pioneer hockey, our voices should matter. As Division I athletes, 80% of DU's team will play some level of pro hockey after this, and they (and the parents/coaches) need to develop thicker skins if they can't take some fan criticism every now and then. For six years now, DU fans have watched a similar movie - a good regular season with a bad flameout ending. The actors in the DU jerseys may change but the result seems to be the same, and if six years of the similar ending sounds frustratiing to fans, that's because it is.

Let's say you go to a good restaurant 15 times a year that you really like. You usually love the food and the service, but every March, they serve you a turd for dessert instead of the usual good dessert. You still love the restaurant, but after 5-6 years of spring turd desserts, wouldn't you tell the manager that you'd like to see some improvement? Or do you just keep paying full pop, eating the turds and saying "great meal?"
      That depends, most of us would complain but since goofer fans use ***** for toothpaste they probably would want to know why they are being served their favorite brand of toothpaste instead of chocolate or ice cream......just sayin.
      "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
      Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
      The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
      Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
        That depends, most of us would complain but since goofer fans use ***** for toothpaste they probably would want to know why they are being served their favorite brand of toothpaste instead of chocolate or ice cream......just sayin.
        Real classy.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          I deeply regret this dustup and apologize for my role in it. DU hockey has meant a great deal to me, both personally and professionally. We talk about Maggie, Jim Shires, Jim Wiste, Cliff Koroll, Craig Patrick, Frank Daly and others. To me, they aren't just names from our glorious past, they were friends. We've got some hockey left and we should be focusing on that.

We all said what was on our minds. It's been a frustrating few weeks and we just have to relax. I know how much this program means to all of us. It's part of who we are. We are all passionate and committed. My frustration stemmed from what I saw on Friday night in Omaha. You guys all saw it. Thankfully we got the win Saturday night.
          Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
          www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
            DU is pretty much a lock to make the tournament. Right now they are in the 5th spot in PWR which would make them the top #2 seed in the tourney. With a sweep of SCSU this weekend and a strong run through the WCHA playoffs DU could possibly get a #1 seed. Very doubtful that they would pass Yale, UND or BC for a #1 seed but they could possibly flip comparisons with Michigan to get the fourth #1 seed. Michigans' RPI is .5576 and DU's is .5561, fairly close. This would be the most likely comparison they could flip. The teams under consideration (TUC) comparison is in DU's favor .6481 to .6250 and the common opponent's comparison is in favor of Michigan .7500 to .6000. They did not play head to head so that comparison has no effect and is counted as 0. Michigan currently wins the comparison against DU 2-1.
            Pumped to hear that. As much as I like the McNaughton trophy, I want a deep run in the NCAA's.

Comment

North Dakota is guaranteed to earn the top seed, but technically if Denver sweeps, North Dakota gets swept by Michigan Tech, and the universe doesn't collapse upon itself, Denver would still be considered the "Co-Champion" in the eyes of the WCHA.

Denver has a little bit of an advantage in that the two teams chasing them are playing each other.(Update) There is a scenario where Denver can finish in 4th, but it involves Nebraska-Omaha taking only one point from Minnesota-Duluth, and UNO maintaining their advantage in WCHA goal differential.
              from westerncollegehockeyblog.com

And depending on the weekend results there is a potential of 6 teams being our first round opponent.
              GO DU !!!

Comment

All this talk about Jason Zucker possibly being the first frosh to win the WCHA scoring title can be put to bed. DU's own Vic Venasky won the WCHA scoring title as a frosh in 1970/71. This has been confirmed with a player on that team as well as the WCHA yearbook. The 1970-71 stats and winners from the yearbook are below. Vic averaged 1.77 points per game. If Jay Z wins the scoring title he will be joining a very elite group. Funny that Vic won the scoring title but not WCHA Freshman of the Year. He made the All WCHA 2nd Team and was an All American as a frosh. Great player for DU as I got to see him play in '71/72 before he turned pro..

1970-71 wcha standings
                Rk Team (Overall/Pct.) GP W L T Pct GF GA
                1 Michigan Tech (25-6-2/.788) 22 18 4 0 .818 112 62
                2 Denver (25-10-1/.708) 22 15 7 0 .682 114 92
                3 Wisconsin (20-13-1/.603) 22 13 9 0 .591 102 77
                4 Michigan State (19-12-0/.613) 22 12 10 0 .545 101 97
                5 Minnesota (14-17-2/.455) 22 9 12 1 .432 77 88
                6 Minnesota Duluth (16-17-1/.485) 24 10 14 0 .417 98 106
                7 North Dakota (14-17-2/.455) 26 10 15 1 .404 92 116
                8 Colorado College (11-17-1/.397) 18 7 11 0 .389 81 100
                9 Michigan (9-21-0/.300) 22 5 17 0 .227 77 116
                WCHA Champion: Michigan Tech. WCHA Playoff Champions: Minnesota, Denver. NCAA 2nd Place: Minnesota.
                WCHA Scoring Champion: Vic Venasky, F, DU (22 gp, 14-25–39). WCHA Goaltending Champion: Morris
                Trewin, MTU (11 gp, 2.55 gaa). WCHA Most Valuable Player: Rob Murray, D, MTU. WCHA Freshman of the
                Year: Mike Usitalo, F, MTU. WCHA Coach of the Year: John MacInnes, MTU. Denver Post All-WCHA First Team:
                G - Morris Trewin, MTU; D - Rob Murray, MTU; D - Mike Christie, DU; F - Bob Collyard, CC; F - Don Thompson,
                Michigan State; F - Walt Ledingham, UMD. Denver Post All-WCHA Second Team: G - Glenn ‘Chico’ Resch,
                UMD; D - Wally Olds, UM; D - John Jagger, UW; F - Mike Usitalo, MTU; F - Vic Venasky, DU; F - Murray Heatley,
                UW. All-Americans: G - Morris Trewin, MTU; D - Mike Christie, DU; D - Rob Murray, MTU; F - Walt Ledingham,
                UMD; F - Don Thompson, Michigan State; F - Vic Venasky, DU.
                Last edited by du78; 03-01-2011, 01:51 PM.
                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                  All this talk about Jason Zucker possibly being the first frosh to win the WCHA scoring title can be put to bed. DU's own Vic Venasky won the WCHA scoring title as a frosh in 1970/71. This has been confirmed with a player on that team as well as the WCHA yearbook. The 1970-71 stats and winners from the yearbook are below. Vic averaged 1.77 points per game. If Jay Z wins the scoring title he will be joining a very elite group. Funny that Vic won the scoring title but not WCHA Freshman of the Year. He made the All WCHA 2nd Team and was an All American as a frosh. Great player for DU as I got to see him play in '71/72 before he turned pro..
                  While it may have been Vic's first year of eligibility to play college hockey, it is my understanding that Freshmen weren't allowed to play in the NCAA prior to 1972. That would mean that, again his first year of playing, Vic was actually a Sophomore.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    While it may have been Vic's first year of eligibility to play college hockey, it is my understanding that Freshmen weren't allowed to play in the NCAA prior to 1972. That would mean that, again his first year of playing, Vic was actually a Sophomore.
                    My understanding is that freshmen were allowed to play starting in 1969/70. I'll check that but I was there when Vic played and he was a soph in 1971/72 when I saw him play. BTW it has been confirmed with the WCHA office that he was a frosh when he won the title in 1970/71.

Edit: The first WCHA Freshman of the Year was in 1969/70. Prior to that there was a Sophomore of the Year Award. In 1969/70 they actually awarded both a Freshman and Sophomore of the Year and from 1970/71 on there was only a Freshman of the Year Award. WCHA Freshman of the Year in 1970/71: Mike Usitalo, F, MTU. It was basketball that didn't allow frosh to play until after 1972.
                    Last edited by du78; 03-01-2011, 03:05 PM.
                    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Swami: You follow DU hoops closely. It appears from afar that the kids have tuned Scott out. I told Peg I didn't like the hire, but she assured me they had done their homework on his behavior. She may have erred on this one. Not enough atleticism and the style is monotonous. (Princeton basketball is a pleasure to watch. You need a tall center who can shoot from outside) No players after next year. A new coach now will let him settle in with experienced players and give him 2 years to recruit. Our defensive field goal percentage is almost the worst in the country. Your thoughts please.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                        Real classy.
                        Meh, I've done worse.
                        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
                          Swami: You follow DU hoops closely. It appears from afar that the kids have tuned Scott out. I told Peg I didn't like the hire, but she assured me they had done their homework on his behavior. She may have erred on this one. Not enough atleticism and the style is monotonous. (Princeton basketball is a pleasure to watch. You need a tall center who can shoot from outside) No players after next year. A new coach now will let him settle in with experienced players and give him 2 years to recruit. Our defensive field goal percentage is almost the worst in the country. Your thoughts please.
                          People on the inside at PU couldn't stand him.
                          Go Pioneers!

Comment

Bruce Ciskie running a fan poll for WCHA honors. Zucker is in the lead for Rookie.
                            http://ciskie.blogspot.com/2011/03/w...your-turn.html

Have you noticed in the last 2 USCHO bracketology stories DU is in St. Louis and paired with Gwoz's proteges Blasi and Appert? (But they keep moving RPI back east for attendance purposes.)
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                              Bruce Ciskie running a fan poll for WCHA honors. Zucker is in the lead for Rookie.
                              http://ciskie.blogspot.com/2011/03/w...your-turn.html

Have you noticed in the last 2 USCHO bracketology stories DU is in St. Louis and paired with Gwoz's proteges Blasi and Appert? (But they keep moving RPI back east for attendance purposes.)
                              St. Louis is a great party town. Its the only Regional that I would attend if DU gets sent there.

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                                Meh, I've done worse.
                                Toning down the obscene rhetoric is always to your advantage son.

To the DU fans: What's your take on this weekend's series with SCSU? Any predictions?

Comment

Working...
                                X